Leafs First round draft picks since Nylander (2014), Marner (2015), Matthews (2016)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Traded away 7, and got back 3, and one of those 7 was on the Mrazek move back of 13 spots.

His trading away a lot of picks is overblown.

Foligno is the only overpay.
how is it overblown when the idiot traded 7 firsts in only 5 f***ing years ? and then you have all the other picks he traded including our next four 2rd picks at the time of his dismissal ?

foligno was a massive overpay so was the pkg of pics he gave up for McCabe who's basically at best a depth D

and i guess we should also view anyone criticizing him for trading 1st/2nd/3rd away in his first year in Pitt only to make them worse way to critical as well . lol

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
how is it overblown when the idiot traded 7 firsts in only 5 f***ing years ? and then you have all the other picks he traded including our next four 2rd picks at the time of his dismissal ?

foligno was a massive overpay so was the pkg of pics he gave up for McCabe who's basically at best a depth D

and i guess we should also view anyone criticizing him for trading 1st/2nd/3rd away in his first year in Pitt only to make them worse way to critical as well . lol

He traded 7, got back 3, and 1 of the 4 remaining was the Mrazek trade, that's how.

People saying "the idiot traded 7 firsts in only 5 f***ing years" and then ignoring what he got back is why it is overblown.

Foligno was an overpayment, I agree.

If McCabe is a depth D, what the hell is Edmundson and why did they pay more than a 7th?

McCabe was 3 years, 50% retained, and is arguably our 2nd best D.

I don't care what he does in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: leafs in five

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
He traded 7, got back 3, and 1 of the 4 remaining was the Mrazek trade, that's how.

People saying "the idiot traded 7 firsts in only 5 f***ing years" and then ignoring what he got back is why it is overblown.

If McCabe is a depth D, what the hell is Edmundson and why did they pay more than a 7th?

Can you list the ones he traded away and the ones he got back?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Can you list the ones he traded away and the ones he got back?

Traded away
Foligno
Marleau
Muzzin
McCabe
Trade down (Sandin)
Mrazek (traded down 13 spots)
ROR

Received
Sandin
Trade down (Sandin)
Kapanen

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

wasn't it you that brought up the exact number of 1sts he traded , but hey it was only four 1sts in 5 yrs , lol , we'll also ignore all the other picks he traded including leaving the new GM without a 2nd rd pick for the next 4 yrs

saying McCabe is our second best D doesn't mean much since all we had was Rielly and bunch of depth d-men

and sure you don't care what he does in Pitt since he's been a f***ing disaster , had he had a good first year you'd never stop mentioning it . lol

i think i've told you before but i guess it didn't register with you so i'll say it again

DUBAS WILL NEVER BE THE LEAFS GM AGAIN and it doesn't matter if Tre is an even worse GM than he is , DUBAS WILL NEVER BE RE-HIRED BY MLSE

oh by the way did i mention

DUBAS WILL NEVER BE HIRED BY THE LEAFS AGAIN ?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
wasn't it you that brought up the exact number of 1sts he traded , but hey it was only four 1sts in 5 yrs , lol , we'll also ignore all the other picks he traded including leaving the new GM without a 2nd rd pick for the next 4 yrs

I also brought up that he received picks, you just ignored that because you either can't read or it doesn't fit the narrative you are pushing.

saying McCabe is our second best D doesn't mean much since all we had was Rielly and bunch of depth d-men

It is unfortunate, and Treliving made the D even worse.

and sure you don't care what he does in Pitt since he's been a f***ing disaster , had he had a good first year you'd never stop mentioning it . lol

They finished 3 points lower than the year before and the Leafs finished 9 points lower and got bounced one round sooner, can't imagine what you must think of the Leafs' season and their new GM.

I don't care what he does in Pittsburgh though, they are one year away from entering a rebuild, and they have one of the least promising futures (Calgary is up there too because of our GM unfortunately). I'll be curious how the next 5-10 years go for Pittsburgh, regardless of their GM, but unless they make the playoffs, they are irrelevant.

i think i've told you before but i guess it didn't register with you so i'll say it again

DUBAS WILL NEVER BE THE LEAFS GM AGAIN and it doesn't matter if Tre is an even worse GM than he is , DUBAS WILL NEVER BE RE-HIRED BY MLSE

oh by the way did i mention

DUBAS WILL NEVER BE HIRED BY THE LEAFS AGAIN ?

Once again, I don't care... I find your obsession weird.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I also brought up that he received picks, you just ignored that because you either can't read or it doesn't fit the narrative you are pushing.

It is unfortunate, and Treliving made the D even worse.

They finished 3 points lower than the year before and the Leafs finished 9 points lower and got bounced one round sooner, can't imagine what you must think of the Leafs' season and their new GM.

I don't care what he does in Pittsburgh though, they are one year away from entering a rebuild, and they have one of the least promising futures (Calgary is up there too because of our GM unfortunately). I'll be curious how the next 5-10 years go for Pittsburgh, regardless of their GM, but unless they make the playoffs, they are irrelevant.

Once again, I don't care... I find your obsession weird.
yup you don't care about Dubas anymore , lol , all you've done is defend him since he got kicked to the curb like a piece of crap and shit on Tre to try to make Dubie's very dim light shine brighter

did i mention

DUBAS WILL NEVER WORK FOR THE LEAFS AGAIN

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
yup you don't care about Dubas anymore , lol , all you've done is defend him since he got kicked to the curb like a piece of crap and shit on Tre to try to make Dubie's very dim light shine brighter

did i mention

DUBAS WILL NEVER WORK FOR THE LEAFS AGAIN ?

Insightful like always... speaking of dim...

Anyway, if you don't want to discuss the topic at hand, no reason to reply in the first place.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Insightful like always... speaking of dim...

Anyway, if you don't want to discuss the topic at hand, no reason to reply in the first place.
I was discussing the topic of how you said Dubas trading picks was overblown . You kept shifting the goalposts .

did i mention

Dubas will never work for the leafs again

Last edited:

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Traded away
Foligno
Marleau
Muzzin
McCabe
Trade down (Sandin)
Mrazek (traded down 13 spots)
ROR

Received
Sandin
Trade down (Sandin)
Kapanen
Foligno and Marleau ones hurt. ROR one hurts too, I thought they had an extension locked in when the deal happened lol.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario

Muzzin stayed
Toronto had money/term for ROR, he just didn't want to stay. Let's not make stuff up now. Retaining ROR would have solved a lot of issues with Toronto right now though, thats for sure.

Foligno and Campbell were two players Toronto did well for not retaining.
4x4.5 for a 33 year old? Kind of glad they didn't give it to him

Reactions: leafs in five

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Even if they drafted some decent D, they wouldn’t have developed them so it doesn’t matter
I Think Nineteen67 and some others who have mentioned it in the past are spot on. Leafs have not been good developing defencemen . I think being that it's a tougher position to play and thus takes longer to develop especially in the Toronto impatience jungle you definitely have to have the perfect scouting and developmental team in place. Including the all important interviews before drafting. You have to draft someone who is also mentally prepared.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Some decent drafting with limited picks.

The Amirov one sucks for multiple reasons, but I think he would have been a borderline star, he was really good.

I like our scouting department and am glad they have been kept.

Source on this? I believe that he wanted to trade down, but I don't think there is anything linking him to Dermott.

A source that I made up said he was going to take Aho but was overruled actually.

And then with the next pick was going to take Cirelli, but was also overruled.

It'd be weird to think Dubas had control over the draft when next year the rumours are he wanted Debrincat and we took Kroshkov instead.
There is no question Dubas had limited control and why Lou was no doubt let go. Thus yup the MGMT team is still inept.

I know someone who is very close friends with JFJ and told me it was his plan to to rebuild the Leafs even back then but was overruled in the interview with Richard Petty. What's he going to do? Walk away from the offer to be GM of the Leafs? This has been a sad run organization for years. The only exception was the small window of excitement after Ballard died. But even then emphasis on youth and developmental was not great

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Can you list the ones they traded away and the ones they got back?

They only got the three back right?

2011 - 22th
2012 - 5th
2013 - 21th

2014 - 8th Nylander
2015 - 4th Marner - 24th traded down to Philly for 29th and 61st
2016 - 1st Matthews

2017 - 17th Liljegren
2018 - 29th Sandin (traded down)
2019 - none
2020 - 15th Amirov - Inbound from Pittsburgh for Kapanen after 13th to Carolina
2021 - none
2022 - none
2023 - 28th Cowan - Inbound from Washington for Sandin after 25th, 89th and 2024 2nd to STL
..2024 - 23rd ??
2025 - none and 2026 2nd round for McCabe to Chi

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Played quite well for Nashville this year, would have solved a lot of problems and wouldn't have had to resign Kampf.
But they didn't have to resign Kampf. I believe he was someone Keefe thought they needed. I can't see any reason Tre would have done this without a strong endorsement by the coach

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Awful awful managing. The most pathetic part is that they were burning the candle at three ends. Overpaying a top heavy roster which made draft picks more important. Trading draft picks in boneheaded attempts to win. And then the worst asset management I've seen in my life whether it was overpaying in trades or letting players walk for nothing. Pure arrogance and ego.
This is why hiring a guy like Dubas who had zero experience was stupid. Was gift wrapped literally gift wrapped a cheap, young rebuilding team filled with superstars and within a matter of a few years rushed everything and completely f***ed the championship window. It also doesn’t help he was god awful in negotiations. This guy got bent over in every contract. The only saving grace on was Tavares and that was only a discount because he was from here

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
They only got the three back right?

2011 - 22th
2012 - 5th
2013 - 21th

2014 - 8th Nylander
2015 - 4th Marner - 24th traded down to Philly for 29th and 61st
2016 - 1st Matthews

2017 - 17th Liljegren
2018 - 29th Sandin (traded down)
2019 - none
2020 - 15th Amirov - Inbound from Pittsburgh for Kapanen after 13th to Carolina
2021 - none
2022 - none
2023 - 28th Cowan - Inbound from Washington for Sandin after 25th, 89th and 2024 2nd to STL
..2024 - 23rd ??
2025 - none and 2026 2nd round for McCabe to Chi

When you put a little research into 2015 draft. It was a total trainwreck. There was a trade available that brought Barzal and Werenski back. Dermott over Aho. Then I think if we didn't trade back we could have got Konecny.

How did they screw that up so bad

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
The theory is that you are supposed to draft scoring forwards in the first round because they are easier to develop and trade.

So the Leafs keep doing exactly that. Doesn't matter if they are four feet tall, weigh 130lbs, and can't skate backwards. If he can put the puck in the net, draft him.

Looks like the Leafs forgot about the second part of that theory though.

Trading these guys for defense and goaltending. They rode the same four forwards for eight years. And look set to do it again around a core of Knies, Minten Cowan, and what should have been Amirov or whoever they draft this year.

They haven't learned a damn thing yet.

We'll hear all about how things will be different. Just because it didn't work last time doesn't mean it won't work this time. They just had the wrong personnel before.

Maybe a core of eight scoring forwards earning $11M each will finally get the job done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad