Leafs First round draft picks since Nylander (2014), Marner (2015), Matthews (2016)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Something we don't talk about enough - the Leafs were never compensated for the Rodion Amirov pick, after his passing.

There's precedent here too - In 2007, the New York Rangers used their first rounder to select Russian Alexei Cherepanov 17th overall. Sadly, at 19, the player collapsed on the bench in a game in Russia and passed away.

The Rangers requested a compensatory pick for the loss of the player, and eventually NHL GMs agreed - the Rangers received the 17th pick of the 2nd round of the 2009 draft.
The problem for the Leafs was that in order to get him better healthcare, they signed him to an ELC. Supposedly the league will give you a compensatory pick if you draft someone who passes away before signing. Seems skeevy of Bettman to use that excuse when the team was just trying to help the kids survival chances.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
So far Trev is off to the right foot selecting Cowan. The problem we've had is not just in the 1st round, but entire drafts. Besides Knies, no dubas pick has solidified themselves into the lineup. We've seen hype on a lot, but none really broke through. Minten, Greb and Robertson still have a chance, of course.

Also Sandin and Liljegren are ok, but the lack of defensive prospects is astounding. We have Niemla who might be too soft to make it here, and a couple of long shot prospects.

Woll was also a solid pick, just needs to stay healthy. Still overall drafting has to be better, and with this year only having a couple of picks, we can maybe only grab 1 or 2 good prospects

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
How about 2025. The team has no picks until round 5.

What a disaster they’ve been in asset management and overpaying for players with hefty contracts and draft picks at the deadlines.

They should never trade a first round pick unless you are certain you can trade down and get a very good player in the 2nd round.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Why does this false narrative come from. He went on record and said he didn't like all the attention that playing in Toronto comes with.
Media have hinted at it. They never come with this stuff until well after the fact. We didn’t know Marner had a team bullying Myrtle until after the season, same with Matthews’ clown friend hanging around the room.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Some decent drafting with limited picks.

The Amirov one sucks for multiple reasons, but I think he would have been a borderline star, he was really good.

I like our scouting department and am glad they have been kept.

Source on this? I believe that he wanted to trade down, but I don't think there is anything linking him to Dermott.

A source that I made up said he was going to take Aho but was overruled actually.

And then with the next pick was going to take Cirelli, but was also overruled.

It'd be weird to think Dubas had control over the draft when next year the rumours are he wanted Debrincat and we took Kroshkov instead.
Man the dude had the biggest heart I don't doubt we wouldn't have fallen in love with him.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I get what you mean, Aho's name is much shorter than Dermott's (3 letters long vs 7 letters long). in his time with Toronto Dubas never drafted a player with a 3-letter-long last name, and only a couple players with 4-letter last names (though Ty Voit's first+last name is shorter, in letter count, than Aho's (irrelevant))
Yes, Dubas wouldn't be able to resist the 25 lb. lighter name. He drafted by size, smaller is better.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The problem for the Leafs was that in order to get him better healthcare, they signed him to an ELC. Supposedly the league will give you a compensatory pick if you draft someone who passes away before signing. Seems skeevy of Bettman to use that excuse when the team was just trying to help the kids survival chances.

And we, Leafs' fans, would do it again and again.

Leafs >>>>>>

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So far Trev is off to the right foot selecting Cowan. The problem we've had is not just in the 1st round, but entire drafts. Besides Knies, no dubas pick has solidified themselves into the lineup. We've seen hype on a lot, but none really broke through. Minten, Greb and Robertson still have a chance, of course.

Also Sandin and Liljegren are ok, but the lack of defensive prospects is astounding. We have Niemla who might be too soft to make it here, and a couple of long shot prospects.

Woll was also a solid pick, just needs to stay healthy. Still overall drafting has to be better, and with this year only having a couple of picks, we can maybe only grab 1 or 2 good prospects

I wouldn't say that too loudly. With the way the Leafs are treated they might forfeit the player!

I believe they enforced that for only the first round.

Brad Treliving was recently announced as the 18th general manager in Toronto Maple Leafs history. Treliving was officially introduced today and stated that his first priority is to meet with superstar Auston Matthews. While getting Matthews signed long-term is the focus, another focus is the upcoming NHL entry draft, which Treliving will not be allowed to take part in. Chris Johnston of NorthStar Bets is reporting that this condition was put in place by the Calgary Flames when granting Toronto permission to talk to him. Treliving is under contract with Calgary until July 1st.

Maple Leafs president of hockey operations Brendan Shanahan was asked about this stipulation at the press conference this morning and praised the teams scouting staff and said they are still preparing to pick late in the first round of the draft as well as the fifth and sixth round. One would have to presume that either Shanahan or head scout Wes Clark will be making Toronto’s picks this year in the absence of Treliving.

Reactions: TheScandal89

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
How about 2025. The team has no picks until round 5.

What a disaster they’ve been in asset management and overpaying for players with hefty contracts and draft picks at the deadlines.

They should never trade a first round pick unless you are certain you can trade down and get a very good player in the 2nd round.

However, they'll have >> $22mm in Cap Space ...

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Sandin and Liljegren are both NHL players and by that metric are "good picks". Obviously not star players but late 1sts rarely are.

Amirov is unfair to list here as a bad pick. I didn't have him as a star, but who knows?

So if we want to rate our drafting at producing NHL players in the 1st round it's been a resounding success.

Reactions: Kurtz and hurdemz

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Mo came long before the apprentice GM. Other two were projected to be 5,6 and are borderline.

You mean a top 5 pick turned out better than 29th. pick?
We bloody well hope so.
Games played from that draft ...
1717510814307.png

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You mean a top 5 pick turned out better than 29th. pick?
We bloody well hope so.
Games played from that draft ...
View attachment 879428
Usually that’s the case.

Since you brought it up, can you imagine a proper rebuild with an experienced GM that drafted in the top 10 a few more times? Stockpiling talent and then using those assets to build the team rather than trading them away to be cap compliant in an effort to just make the playoffs.

Reactions: Confucius

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Usually that’s the case.

Since you brought it up, can you imagine a proper rebuild with an experienced GM that drafted in the top 10 a few more times? Stockpiling talent and then using those assets to build the team rather than trading them away to be cap compliant in an effort to just make the playoffs.

I think once Matthews, marner and Nylander were playing there wasn't going to be Top 10 picks.

Reactions: Cams and ACC1224

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
What an utterly bizarre and frankly stupid loophole.

I had no idea. Thanks for clarifying for me.

Indeed, you aren't compensated, if you sign the player. It's a stupid rule IMO.. but it's what it is.

I think we've drafted reasonably well with the picks we have... we just gave away too many picks... but then people would have been angry if we hadn't made moves to try and win in the playoffs...it just didn't work out.
Thanks as well - I had no idea about this rule, and agreed: very stupid

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
The very few players they have drafted since the big 3 have turned out okay all things considered (mostly their draft position).

Liljegren and Sandin are NHL defencemen. RIP Amirov, way too soon to rate Cowan.

So this thread is more about what they missed out on/gave up because of the delusional organizational belief each TD the past 7 or so years that they were a contender.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think once Matthews, marner and Nylander were playing there wasn't going to be Top 10 picks.
They could have had at least one more, if they were managed better. Trade the pending UFAs and having picks in every round was the prudent thing to do.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
People like to make things up in there head and choose to believe what they want to believe. I'm not one for speculation, but some of the thins you see on here makes me laugh.

Sometimes players, coaches and GMs lie. They just lie and they do it often. Like politicians they use avoidance and spin etc. Then you have the really bright candles here that just take everything at face value without logically thinking things through. Funny enough those people that really put the least amount of thought regarding the situation, are usually the most opinionated and condescending people around. Don't you agree with me that it's peculiar?

Ultimately, I love the go with the flow guys that shadow support the club by using slight of hand to quell the BS. I bet they get tickets and watch a lot of games live etc. I bet they are almost like employees lol

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Sandin and Liljegren are both NHL players and by that metric are "good picks". Obviously not star players but late 1sts rarely are.

Amirov is unfair to list here as a bad pick. I didn't have him as a star, but who knows?

So if we want to rate our drafting at producing NHL players in the 1st round it's been a resounding success.
I know he's 25, and Dmen take a while to develop, but for some reason I was very surprised to find out this week that Liljegren has already played 196 career NHL games, including 122 in the past 2 seasons.

Gun to my head, I would have expected much less than that.

Reactions: Warden of the North

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Sometimes players, coaches and GMs lie. They just lie and they do it often. Like politicians they use avoidance and spin etc. Then you have the really bright candles here that just take everything at face value without logically thinking things through. Funny enough those people that really put the least amount of thought regarding the situation, are usually the most opinionated and condescending people around. Don't you agree with me that it's peculiar?

Ultimately, I love the go with the flow guys that shadow support the club by using slight of hand to quell the BS. I bet they get tickets and watch a lot of games live etc. I bet they are almost like employees lol
Or people just read too much into things, take things at face value and go from there, it's not as deep as people want it to be.

Toronto is a tough place to play, some players like that, some players don't like it. All we have is a player didn't want to resign here some have tried to spin it into "the locker room is cancer, blame Marner and the country club attitude" without having any inside information or inside look in the locker room etc. Like I said, everything that happens in Toronto isn't as deep as people make it out to be.

Just FYI here's a quote from ROR "“You could tell everything’s amplified,” O’Reilly said. “I don’t do it often, (but) it was a good thing when I played there that I didn’t turn on the TV much or turn on the radio, because there are (so many outlets) talking about it. … Everything’s covering it, talking about it. Here, it gets a little time on the TV, but it’s not everything. It is more than just a game there.”

Reactions: Kurtz

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
We'd be in pretty good shape if Dubas hadn't traded those picks. I will say for that man, as bad as the teambuilding and core commitment were, he was actually pretty good at the draft table.

Shout out to the Muzzin trade for being an example of what to do, in direct opposition to the Foligno trade which is an all-time bummer.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad