Leafs First round draft picks since Nylander (2014), Marner (2015), Matthews (2016)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
Media have hinted at it. They never come with this stuff until well after the fact. We didn’t know Marner had a team bullying Myrtle until after the season, same with Matthews’ clown friend hanging around the room.
Ahem, his name is Justin Bieber, thank you very much. :sarcasm:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They became a perennial playoff team a year after finishing last. None of those UFAs would have brought back another top ten pick.
Even 2nd or 3rd picks would have been better than nothing. Yes, they were a perennial bubble playoff team but they spent too much just to get in, rather building towards a championship.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I sure was an excited Leaf fan following those picks. :laugh:

Nearly a decade of disappointment later and my interest and belief in them couldn't be lower.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Awful awful managing. The most pathetic part is that they were burning the candle at three ends. Overpaying a top heavy roster which made draft picks more important. Trading draft picks in boneheaded attempts to win. And then the worst asset management I've seen in my life whether it was overpaying in trades or letting players walk for nothing. Pure arrogance and ego.

This one is often overlooked when talking about how bad Dubas was. My favorite was when he traded Marleau with a 1st round pick so he could keep Kapanen and Johnsson for an extra year while their roles diminished before trading them as well. At least he got something for Kapanen though he got pretty much nothing for Johnsson.

They would have been much better off keeping their first and trading KK and AJ a year earlier. Even if KK got a bit less, AJ would have likely gotten more before his dysmal season.

For a guy who was billed as great talent evaluator, Dubas always seemed to get his depth wrong. Outside a couple of players he seemed to give up on the players with potential while the ones he kept never moved the needle.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Dubie/Shanny were idiots to trade away our future .. you only trade futures when you have a Cup team .. we have never had roster of a Cup team .. we have a regular season based roster which scores a ton in regular season hockey and racks up big point totals which racks up CAP hits .. complete and total mismanagement of a team which was lucky to get Matty .. this is what happens when stupid meets shiny toy PowerPoint guy .. guys who think they got something looking good on da computer

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
You're not accounting for how much snot Foligno brought with him...

Also, pretty sure at least one other team offered a 1st.

Value wasn't there, and it was an overpayment, but snot is expensive.
Yup, I believe it was the snot that was keeping Foligno's back in one piece. Snot, some duct tape and a couple of paperclips.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Sandin was a good pick. He wasn't used properly under keefe. Look how well he's done in Washington. Amirov was trending to be a very skilled top 6 forward. That was just an unfortunate situation all in itself. And so far Cowan has been a home run.

I dunno what the issue is with the drafting. They've done well. The picks they've traded away were for playoff runs, which didn't turn out, but if they hadn't traded any of the firsts, then everyone would be complaining about how they've never went for it.

Edit: I'm convinced this team is cursed

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Dubas took over the GM job in 2017.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did he trade away 5 x 1st round picks in 6 years, or was it 4?

• Haha
Reactions: thewave

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Yeah this is the opposite of how you build a long term contender. Thanks for going for it every single year despite them never showing the smallest sign that they were ready. Thanks dubas, have fun screwing up the Pens org.
And easily over 80% of `this place agrees and goes gaga every trade deadline, got to go for it they say. lol!

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Even 2nd or 3rd picks would have been better than nothing. Yes, they were a perennial bubble playoff team but they spent too much just to get in, rather building towards a championship.
Don’t stop there, we don’t even have a 4th round pick in 2025. Draft shmaft

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Dubas took over the GM job in 2017.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did he trade away 5 x 1st round picks in 6 years, or was it 4?

Traded away 7, and got back 3, and one of those 7 was on the Mrazek move back of 13 spots.

His trading away a lot of picks is overblown.

Foligno is the only overpay.

Don’t stop there, we don’t even have a 4th round pick in 2025. Draft shmaft

Just trade all the prospects that he kept over picks and then it is fine.

Reset the prospect pool like Hunter did by drafting no one useful for 5 years.

Niemela, Knies, Robertson, Cowan, Minten, and Greb should be able to recoup all our picks and some.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Niemela, Knies, Robertson, Cowan, Minten, and Greb should be able to recoup all our picks and some.
He didn’t get prospects he got rentals. And the prospects we do have probably have NMC’s anyway, I’d have to check.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He didn’t get prospects he got rentals. And the prospects we do have probably have NMC’s anyway, I’d have to check.

None of our prospects have NMCs, and I just listed a bunch he kept instead of trading them away.

If people only care about picks, just trade all those prospects, get more picks.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
ROR basically said whatever you are doing here isn't a winner and I want no part.

Another solid playoff guy that looks at Mitch and says, no thanks.

I'd be more inclined to believe this tale if he went to a contender. Given that he chose to spend the twilight of his career in Nashville, it sounds like he was just looking for a quietly pleasant retirement place.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
None of our prospects have NMCs, and I just listed a bunch he kept instead of trading them away.

If people only care about picks, just trade all those prospects, get more picks.
So your solution is to trade away the pick we had which is now our prospect for more picks. Why not just keep our prospects as well as our picks. Is that too difficult?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Traded away 7, and got back 3, and one of those 7 was on the Mrazek move back of 13 spots.

His trading away a lot of picks is overblown.

Foligno is the only overpay.

I think I disagree. Trading Marleau and a 1st to move off one year left of his contract was terrible. That's just one example. I am still not exactly convinced that the trade for McCabe/Lafferty was a great deal for Toronto. I think McCabe is OK, but even with retention it's still a lot of assets for a #4D.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I think I disagree. Trading Marleau and a 1st to move off one year left of his contract was terrible. That's just one example. I am still not exactly convinced that the trade for McCabe/Lafferty was a great deal for Toronto. I think McCabe is OK, but even with retention it's still a lot of assets for a #4D.

McCabe at 2 million for 3 years is great.

Marleau can be debated, do you handicap yourself for 1 year with a 6.25 million dollar 4th liner or not? The options to trade him were any team willing to buy him out, I am sure it is hard to find a trading partner.

It is terrible with hindsight, sure.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

Marleau can be debated, do you handicap yourself for 1 year with a 6.25 million dollar 4th liner or not? The options to trade him were any team willing to buy him out, I am sure it is hard to find a trading partner.

No. Many Leaf fans were angry for pissing away a 1st.

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire
Sep 18, 2009

terriuvble with fotesight too

leafs accomplishedd nothin ith allthoeese deals

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
No. Many Leaf fans were angry for pissing away a 1st.

I am sure some of the same would have been miserable with a 4th liner making $6.25 million.

Look at how valuable cap space is to so many people here, they lose their mind and bring it up at every turn if someone is overpaid slightly.

Not the ideal amount to pay to unload Marleau obviously, it is also a unique situation and I don't know if it was fair.

Treliving paid a 1st for the same amount but that player didn't have to get bought out, so just using that as a reference, it doesn't seem so bad.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad