Leafs First round draft picks since Nylander (2014), Marner (2015), Matthews (2016)

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Some decent drafting with limited picks.

The Amirov one sucks for multiple reasons, but I think he would have been a borderline star, he was really good.

I like our scouting department and am glad they have been kept.

Source on this? I believe that he wanted to trade down, but I don't think there is anything linking him to Dermott.

A source that I made up said he was going to take Aho but was overruled actually.

And then with the next pick was going to take Cirelli, but was also overruled.

It'd be weird to think Dubas had control over the draft when next year the rumours are he wanted Debrincat and we took Kroshkov instead.

why is reading comprehension a big problem in this forum?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
why is reading comprehension a big problem in this forum?

You said he wanted to draft Dermott, I thought Babs pushed for Dermott and there was a disagreement between Aho and Dermott at that spot.

I'd be curious to see the info on him pushing for Dermott, I think the draft stuff is interesting.

Some of you will never appreciate the value of someone like Nik Foligno

You guys know nothing about hockey

#leadership

This is the funniest thing... people are crying now for these types of players, it's all we need to win now, Brad will overpay for snot in free agency instead of using picks, it will be how we win.

People think draft picks are so valuable, but cap space is also so valuable, also we need to acquire snot, but we can't overpay in free agency because the cap space is too valuable and we can't use draft picks for it because they are too valuable.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You said he wanted to draft Dermott, I thought Babs pushed for Dermott and there was a disagreement between Aho and Dermott at that spot.

I'd be curious to see the info on him pushing for Dermott, I think the draft stuff is interesting.
Okay, let's play a game.

GM Dubas - Which type player is he known for drafting?

1717471634452.png

1717471596127.png

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Okay, let's play a game.

GM Dubas - Which type player is he known for drafting?

View attachment 879367

View attachment 879366
I get what you mean, Aho's name is much shorter than Dermott's (3 letters long vs 7 letters long). in his time with Toronto Dubas never drafted a player with a 3-letter-long last name, and only a couple players with 4-letter last names (though Ty Voit's first+last name is shorter, in letter count, than Aho's (irrelevant))

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Leafs draft position and player
(in first round)

2011 - 22th
2012 - 5th
2013 - 21th

2014 - 8th Nylander
2015 - 4th Marner
2016 - 1st Matthews

2017 - 17th Liljegren
2018 - 29th Sandin (Leafs traded down)
2019 - none
2020 - 15th Amirov
2021 - none
2022 - none
2023 - 28th Cowan
..2024 - 23rd ??

Drafted 3 great forwards and then not so much.
Yeah this is the opposite of how you build a long term contender. Thanks for going for it every single year despite them never showing the smallest sign that they were ready. Thanks dubas, have fun screwing up the Pens org.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Knies would go top 10 in a 2021 re-draft, Sandin was as good a pick as most in the 20s are. I guess in the end it was detrimental to have not been bad enough to still be picking top 10, 3 years out from getting Matthews, like the Oilers were 3 years out from landing McDavid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtz

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Muzzin stayed
Toronto had money/term for ROR, he just didn't want to stay. Let's not make stuff up now. Retaining ROR would have solved a lot of issues with Toronto right now though, thats for sure.

Foligno and Campbell were two players Toronto did well for not retaining.

ROR basically said whatever you are doing here isn't a winner and I want no part.

Another solid playoff guy that looks at Mitch and says, no thanks.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Actually Dubas traded the 2025 for Jake McCabe.
Lou traded 1 late first to get a #1G. Dubas traded so many that the fans have can't keep track of who went for which 1st. Pathetic.

Maybe, also maybe, Toronto and the spotlight isn't for him.
Perhaps, but more likely the politically correct answer.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Leafs draft position and player
(in first round)

2011 - 22th
2012 - 5th
2013 - 21th

2014 - 8th Nylander
2015 - 4th Marner
2016 - 1st Matthews

2017 - 17th Liljegren
2018 - 29th Sandin (Leafs traded down)
2019 - none
2020 - 15th Amirov
Something we don't talk about enough - the Leafs were never compensated for the Rodion Amirov pick, after his passing.

There's precedent here too - In 2007, the New York Rangers used their first rounder to select Russian Alexei Cherepanov 17th overall. Sadly, at 19, the player collapsed on the bench in a game in Russia and passed away.

The Rangers requested a compensatory pick for the loss of the player, and eventually NHL GMs agreed - the Rangers received the 17th pick of the 2nd round of the 2009 draft.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
ROR basically said whatever you are doing here isn't a winner and I want no part.

Another solid playoff guy that looks at Mitch and says, no thanks.
Reading between the lines, one reason he left, ROR didn’t have much faith in the core. I bet he had a conversation with JT and he couldn’t convince him to stay.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Something we don't talk about enough - the Leafs were never compensated for the Rodion Amirov pick, after his passing.

There's precedent here too - In 2007, the New York Rangers used their first rounder to select Russian Alexei Cherepanov 17th overall. Sadly, at 19, the player collapsed on the bench in a game in Russia and passed away.

The Rangers requested a compensatory pick for the loss of the player, and eventually NHL GMs agreed - the Rangers received the 17th pick of the 2nd round of the 2009 draft.
I wondered the same, but I think Cherapanov's pick was classified as a draft re-entry because he was unsigned.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

This is the funniest thing... people are crying now for these types of players, it's all we need to win now, Brad will overpay for snot in free agency instead of using picks, it will be how we win.

People think draft picks are so valuable, but cap space is also so valuable, also we need to acquire snot, but we can't overpay in free agency because the cap space is too valuable and we can't use draft picks for it because they are too valuable.

Anyone with a brain said Aho. No idea what the rumors were nut there has been a pattern in Toronto of going off the consensus to appear smart under Dubas. Basically never panned out

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I wondered the same, but I think Cherapanov's pick was classified as a draft re-entry because he was unsigned.

Indeed, you aren't compensated, if you sign the player. It's a stupid rule IMO.. but it's what it is.

I think we've drafted reasonably well with the picks we have... we just gave away too many picks... but then people would have been angry if we hadn't made moves to try and win in the playoffs...it just didn't work out.

Forgotusername

May 17, 2016
Reading between the lines, one reason he left, ROR didn’t have much faith in the core. I bet he had a conversation with JT and he couldn’t convince him to stay.
Why does this false narrative come from. He went on record and said he didn't like all the attention that playing in Toronto comes with.

Reactions: Kurtz and Cams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad