Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Bruins game 2.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Our pp was fine when Rielly was out. He is the problem. Dude always shoots and either misses the net or he hits an opposing player never gets the net.
I would go take a look at the PP stats. He does hit the net quite a bit, and Rielly has led the team to being a top 5 PP unit for years.

Sure there are better options in the league, but not really on the Leafs

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
As he should, he still the only goalie to have won us a playoff series.

He wasn’t super in game 1, and if they had lost say 5-3 with an empty netter you might blame him more directly.

Score some bloody goals..
People also don't realize our defence is garbage. We don't have two real top-pairing d-men. we have second-pairing and third-pairing d-men playing on our first pairing.

Reactions: Westlander

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Hmm.

Andersen might have been better than Korpi. Good point.

Fact is this team with this goaltending is not built to win 16 games 2-1 or 1-0. Probably not even 4.

They had better figure it out real quick and start scoring to take the pressure off Samsonov or whoever is in net

I still believe in Woll in being “the guy”, though.

Reactions: Xecross and Jojalu

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Hmm.

Andersen might have been better than Korpi. Good point.

Fact is this team with this goaltending is not built to win 16 games 2-1 or 1-0. Probably not even 4.

They had better figure it out real quick and start scoring to take the pressure off Samsonov or whoever is in net
I think going into the season they hoped Woll would mature into a number 1 and he’d be starting the playoffs.

If Woll is 100% healthy I would let him play to evaluate the position and have a better understanding of what they need to do moving forward.

Reactions: Jojalu

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Big game tonight for the boys. Not necessarily a must win game but pretty darn close to it. Let’s hope Nylander returns and the big boys show up.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
People also don't realize our defence is garbage. We don't have two real top-pairing d-men. we have second-pairing and third-pairing d-men playing on our first pairing.

How come our franchise has been so piss poor at finding and developing D? Boston has done a much better job, I guess, and they have not had any lottery picks either. They have went to the playoffs 8 straight years, like us. Where’s our McAvoy?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think that's the argument, but it makes sense to shake things up if we're struggling

Personally, I'm hoping he's quick with the line changes tonight if we're struggling offensively and is quick with the hook for Sammy.

Not like we have much time to see how things play out

I think the “risk” here is the moment you pull Sammy from the game or series and transition to Woll, Samsonov will be functionally finished for the series. Maybe that’s an exaggeration, but given his psychological ups and downs that’s my assumption anyway.

So when that “break glass in case of emergency” happens, you’re likely going to lose the potential for Sammy finding his game. And Woll will likely give you Sammy level goaltending, albeit his stylistic game looks calmer. That actually puts us one step closer to Murray, which I think is a possibility anyway…

But if you go down 2-0 I don’t think this Leafs team is fighting back anyway so it probably doesn’t matter. Keefe might as well button mash all he wants.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Boston has rotating Ullmark and Swayman all year but Swayman has shut down the Leafs this season.. can’t imagine them not going back to him

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Agreed.
And the second unit entry strategy: here ya go, Nick. Barrel on through at speed. The other guys will roll in, eventually.
Very odd.
Two opposing approaches for the two units, and no real changes.
I actually don't mind watching PP2, since they at least operate with some sense of urgency.

PP1 is dreadful.. at least for the last 30 games or so.

Bump back, Bump back... maybe bump back again
or Bump back, pass to stationary winger at the centre line, bump back

If they get the line...
short pass to the boards to Tavares who is 1 on 3, probably 40% success rate at control
or short pass to the boards to Nylander who rims it hard, probably 50% success rate at control

How hard is that to defend when it is exactly that EVERY time?

Reactions: egd27

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I may be part of the minority on this one, but I actually didn't think we played all that bad on Saturday. I still believe we deserved to lose the game, but I also think the 5-1 score was not indicative of the game that was played.

Like most Leafs losses in April/May, this game can be chalked up to the fact that we made more mistakes than our opponents. It's something we will need to clean up going forward, but I do think there are some positives to take away from this game. Which is not something you typically say after losing 5-1

I loved how we physically showed up in game 1. I feel like we set the tone in that regard, which is a complete breath of fresh air given how things typically go when we play Boston. I know some may be upset with the carelessness that came from some of that physicality, most notably on the 1st goal against (Reavo) and the Domi slash. But I can personally live with both of those mistakes knowing the bigger picture of the series. I don't want to see them back down from that physical play, in fact I loved how we initiated that type of play for a change. I can live with the mistakes that come from that engagement. Of course there is a balance that can be achieved, and I am sure we will find it, but at the end of the day we didn't get punked and that is great news.

Clean up the PK, and tighten up on the details and we will be just fine. You cannot win or lose the series in game 1, so we shouldn't put too much stock into the end result. Wipe it from memory and come out guns blazing tonight. Going into this series, a good result would have been a split of game 1 and 2. That is still very much a possibility. Lets not lose sight of that. Boston is a very good team, and we have to recognize that we were never sweeping this series. Take game 1 on the chin, and be better from it tonight. Come out with that same intensity, but limit the mistakes and we should have a good chance at getting a result.

Go Leafs Go!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I may be part of the minority on this one, but I actually didn't think we played all that bad on Saturday. I still believe we deserved to lose the game, but I also think the 5-1 score was not indicative of the game that was played.

Like most Leafs losses in April/May, this game can be chalked up to the fact that we made more mistakes than our opponents. It's something we will need to clean up going forward, but I do think there are some positives to take away from this game. Which is not something you typically say after losing 5-1

I loved how we physically showed up in game 1. I feel like we set the tone in that regard, which is a complete breath of fresh air given how things typically go when we play Boston. I know some may be upset with the carelessness that came from some of that physicality, most notably on the 1st goal against (Reavo) and the Domi slash. But I can personally live with both of those mistakes knowing the bigger picture of the series. I don't want to see them back down from that physical play, in fact I loved how we initiated that type of play for a change. I can live with the mistakes that come from that engagement. Of course there is a balance that can be achieved, and I am sure we will find it, but at the end of the day we didn't get punked and that is great news.

Clean up the PK, and tighten up on the details and we will be just fine. You cannot win or lose the series in game 1, so we shouldn't put too much stock into the end result. Wipe it from memory and come out guns blazing tonight. Going into this series, a good result would have been a split of game 1 and 2. That is still very much a possibility. Lets not lose sight of that. Boston is a very good team, and we have to recognize that we were never sweeping this series. Take game 1 on the chin, and be better from it tonight. Come out with that same intensity, but limit the mistakes and we should have a good chance at getting a result.

Go Leafs Go!

I saw the game again the day after at the gym in the morning when doing cardio, what sticks out to me is that in our own zone and on the PP, we are incredibly stationary.

We collapse at 5v5 but the wingers are basically useless caught in no man's land so the Bruins can cycle back up to the point and around the outside and wait for break downs in coverage

In terms of the PP, I would be changing JT and Bertuzzi out, it's bad but I would be yelling at them to move their f***ing feet.

Reactions: egd27

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Go Leafs Go!

They were fine 5 on 5. The problem is that our goaltending is average at best, which tanks our PK because we can't get saves and our PP is inexplicably terrible. This isn't just a 1 game thing, it's been 3 weeks of that. Not scoring on a 4 on 3 in that kind of game is inexcusable to me.

I'm sure they'll show up and it'll be better on the scoreboard but I dunno if they can survive if they don't get a fibre of focus and intensity on the PP and if they can't get above average goaltending.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Please be able to play tonight Bill.....
IMG_0196.JPG

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Keefe is a such a f***ing moron

Jarnkrok hasn’t play a hockey game in 6 weeks. He played 18 mins, played top pp and played Pk.

You keefe are a f***ing idiot
This has shades of Babcock overplaying a injured Hyman in years past, Keefe isn’t a good coach………

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Tonight is must win, you go down 0-2 and say good night, you won't take 4 of the next 5 against Boston.
Yep series is over if they lose tonight IMO. Leafs are 6-2 in game 2 in the Matthews era, though both of those game 2 losses are against Boston.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi
Knies - - Tavares - - Marner
Jarnkrok - Holmberg - Nylander
Dewar - - Kampf - - Reaves

Rielly - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Brodie

Sammy/Woll

Reactions: aingefan

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The good thing is, they are 6-2 in the 34 era on Game 2s. They respond well, just never you know.. start off well..

Toronto in 5 games so far this year has legitimately had the lead for 0 mins. Playing with a lead is something they need to start doing.
True enough. The best game of the playoffs they played last year was game 2 vs the Lightning.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
One thing that is for certain.

It is very difficult to win a series when you don't have the best goaltender.

When was the last time the Leafa had the better one going into a series?

You have to do so many more things right, and make far less mistakes which the Leafs are not always great at.
Questionable goaltending is one thing, having a Swiss cheese defence playing in front of said goaltending with little to no help from the forwards is the real nail in the coffin imo…….

Reactions: egd27 and Jojalu

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
After tonight… we go into Wednesday night’s game with home ice advantage for the series.

Let’s Go

Reactions: Metroid

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Yep series is over if they lose tonight IMO. Leafs are 6-2 in game 2 in the Matthews era, though both of those game 2 losses are against Boston.
Honestly the series isn't over until either team gets 4 wins. It's a completely "duh" take on my end to say that, but it is true. If we were up in the series 1-0 and then came away with a victory in game 2 to go 2-0, we would never say "well that's a wrap". It's gotta work both ways. That needs to be the mindset from the players and from us the fans.

At the end of the day we Leaf fans are scarred beyond recognition. This team has hurt us in ways that rival any other franchise in pro sport TBH. But at the end of the day, a series cannot be won or lost in game 2.

Reactions: Metroid

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Even Rielly isn’t a true first pairing D man, I mean he’s okay on the offensive side of the game, but he’s a train wreck in his own end……..

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Our pp was fine when Rielly was out. He is the problem. Dude always shoots and either misses the net or he hits an opposing player never gets the net.
It is because he does not play quick. He makes decision slow which allows the defenders to get back into position. And let's be honest, it not just him. Marner does this as well. Outside Nylander and Matthews our PP group as whole is pretty methodical in their execution.

Watch other teams and they are snapping the puck around and creating gaps, openings and opportunities at more open chances where as we always seem to be playing directly through the defenders.

Last edited:
Reactions: egd27 and weems
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad