Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Bruins game 2.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Once again we see if the group has any pride whatsoever.

They come out in this one like they did in game 1 you know for a fact that they've just packed it in for the year.
The good thing is, they are 6-2 in the 34 era on Game 2s. They respond well, just never you know.. start off well..

100%.

Bos is a way different team chasing the game.

It is also very frustrating losing the special teams battle constantly.
Toronto in 5 games so far this year has legitimately had the lead for 0 mins. Playing with a lead is something they need to start doing.

Reactions: Jojalu and ToneDog

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
They're playing to score goals on the PP, whereas Toronto's PP looks like 5 guys who never met trying to score style points like it's an ice dance.
Actually, our Leafs powerplay looks to me like a passing drill held at centre ice.

Our Leafs have very little to no net presence in front of the opposing goalie. We also very much lack any hard shots from the point, unless Matthews is shooting from there.

The pattern should be pass, pass, shot. Not pass, pass, pass, pass, lose the puck.

JMHO.

Reactions: OddyOh and Jmo89

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Don’t really watch other games much, but that Winnipeg/Colorado game was intense. The speed and urgency was apparent, Leaf’s look slow compared to that. They need to up the pressure on the PK, this soft square they play is frustrating to watch
I know it's a favourite thing for people to say that other games always look faster or more "urgent" than Leafs games, but that isn't the reality. For instance, both the NYI and NYR games looked dismal - far, far slower than the Leafs game. There is always just a natural bias here to over-emphasize the negative when the team loses. Happens in every fanbase.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
You may as well but I don’t think Woll is the answer.
I don't think that's the argument, but it makes sense to shake things up if we're struggling

Personally, I'm hoping he's quick with the line changes tonight if we're struggling offensively and is quick with the hook for Sammy.

Not like we have much time to see how things play out

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Just noticed we have the 4th worst PP% since March 1st. Our peers on that list are Montreal, Anaheim and Philadelphia.....not exactly teams with superstar talent

Change the units up and go with a split, stacking the top has sucked for a while now

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Just noticed we have the 4th worst PP% since March 1st. Our peers on that list are Montreal, Anaheim and Philadelphia.....not exactly teams with superstar talent

Change the units up and go with a split, stacking the top has sucked for a while now
Someone mentioned most of their PP success was the one timer off the face off win.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
The PP is one of my biggest issues with the coaching staff. Loading up your top unit and giving them almost all the time simply runs the risk of being predictable, and then tiring out your top players when it gets back to 5-on-5. Boston on the other hand, has done the exact opposite. They split pasta and Marchand, and the units earn their ice time.

We have enough talent for two strong units, but we don't use this to our advantage. There is only so much puck to go around, and we need other guys that can help us score in different ways. Seeing Jarnkrok on the PP in game 1 was just confusing.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I spy with my little eye, everyone who was scratched from game 1!

No changes, unless Nylander is good to go? If so, who comes out?

Hoping the heart transplant surgery was a success, go Willie!! :DD

1713793282485.png

• Haha
Reactions: banks and wingman75

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If they come home down 2-0 you figure that Keefe goes to Woll for game 3 in hopes of changing things up.

Keefe already tried and played that card and lost.

In the last 2 recent regular season games March 4th and 7th one at home, and one on the road, Keefe already tested out Woll vs Swayman and the result the same 4-1 Leaf loss.

1713793146640.png

Woll didn't fair any better than Samsonov did in game #1 with a 5-1 loss.

The Bruins have top 10 goaltending from both their goalies and Leafs sit bottom 10 in the league, and perhaps the weakest of all playoff teams.

"Good teams are built from the goalie out", and you're only as strong as your weakest link and Leafs are going to find it difficult to overcome sub-par goaltending.

The Bruins have won the last 8 straight games against Toronto, so how the Leafs are expected to win 4 of the next 6 games is hard to imagine. o_O

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I'm seeing bruins fans want to see Ullmark at least a few games in this series. I'm a little surprised reading that coming off a win

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
One thing that is for certain.

It is very difficult to win a series when you don't have the best goaltender.

When was the last time the Leafa had the better one going into a series?

You have to do so many more things right, and make far less mistakes which the Leafs are not always great at.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I know it's a favourite thing for people to say that other games always look faster or more "urgent" than Leafs games, but that isn't the reality. For instance, both the NYI and NYR games looked dismal - far, far slower than the Leafs game. There is always just a natural bias here to over-emphasize the negative when the team loses. Happens in every fanbase.
It is an actual issue though, the team isn't quite as quick as it can be because of the style they play. MLHS even noted it

Beyond the physicality angle, it also stood out how slowly the Leafs played. Alec wrote about this last spring. Lots of regrouping. A lack of willingness to dump a puck and get it back. They didn’t gain enough speed through the neutral zone and actively slowed down instead of driving the net off the rush. On one play in the second period, Marner held the puck along the wall, and Tavares streaked through the middle of the ice with a chance for an odd-man rush. Instead of Marner racing down the ice with speed to put the Bruins on their heels, he slowed up and tried to saucer a puck past Matt Grzelcyk, who easily batted the puck down and moved it back up ice.

The Leafs can’t play slow in the playoffs. The checking is too tight.

This is a good article from last year that also breaks it down in detail:

Reactions: egd27 and Jojalu

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I get it, and it needs to be ONE of the entry options. But there have to be other options as well... mix things up, keep the opponent on their toes.

One of my gripes with this team, despite the talent, is how predictable they are.
Agreed.
And the second unit entry strategy: here ya go, Nick. Barrel on through at speed. The other guys will roll in, eventually.
Very odd.
Two opposing approaches for the two units, and no real changes.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'm seeing bruins fans want to see Ullmark at least a few games in this series. I'm a little surprised reading that coming off a win
The fans are anticipating a short series for the Bruins and a long series between Florida and TB and want both goalies sharp.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
One thing that is for certain.

It is very difficult to win a series when you don't have the best goaltender.

When was the last time the Leafa had the better one going into a series?

You have to do so many more things right, and make far less mistakes which the Leafs are not always great at.

So Freddy Andersen wasn’t better than Korpi and Elvis in 2020? Leafs still got “goalied”. There are other issues at play with this core. It’s also on the Leafs scouting for not drafting a good goalie by now. It’s also on the Leafs cap structure that they can not afford another goalie either. Ullmark was available too, but Boston got him.

Reactions: egd27

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don’t think it’s much of a secret that the Leafs are not a quick team, especially their D.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
So Freddy Andersen wasn’t better than Korpi and Elvis in 2020? Leafs still got “goalied”. There are other issues at play with this core. It’s also on the Leafs scouting for not drafting a good goalie by now. It’s also on the Leafs cap structure that they can not afford another goalie either.
Hmm.

Andersen might have been better than Korpi. Good point.

Fact is this team with this goaltending is not built to win 16 games 2-1 or 1-0. Probably not even 4.

They had better figure it out real quick and start scoring to take the pressure off Samsonov or whoever is in net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad