Proposal: leafs and bruins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Currysux*

Very Reminiscent of when the Oilers held Ladislav Smid in such high regard when he was "a Top Pairing defenseman" for them. Not saying their games match up, but I do think what's lost sometimes is that even if a guy is a top pairing Dman (or 2nd pair I guess) that doesn't mean he would be on other teams.

I would say a 1st for him is generous and you are looking more at a Boychuk return. Whether that's worth it or not for TOR is a different issue but value wise that's where I would personally peg him, he's not a game changer in my eyes so that's why

Gardiner would be a top 3 dman on every team other than SJS, CHI, WSH, STL, NSH. Those sre the only teams that have 3 dmen who are definitely better than Gardiner. Some teams may arguably have 3 better dmen like WPG or MIN.

Unbiased

Oct 31, 2015
The hate fest for Gardiner on these boards are hilarious, what makes people think he's a #5 defenseman? 30 points and elite defensive stats say otherwise.

ZINFINITY16

Dec 29, 2013
Ontario
Your 2nd best defenseman might be a #4-5 on many other teams. It goes both ways.

name 12 teams where Gardiner would be a number 4?
or even 5 teams where he'd be a number 5?? like seriously, you can say he's not top 2 but such obvious hate if you're saying he'd be a number 4-5 on MANY teams like cmon

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
The Bruins dont have anyone other than Zboril and McAvoy that can become a #3. They dont have anyone that will be a top pair dman.

Lol what? Quite the comment here, can I have some winning lotto numbers?

I don't think they have a #1 in the system but they have a few that I think can be 2/3s.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
The hate fest for Gardiner on these boards are hilarious, what makes people think he's a #5 defenseman? 30 points and elite defensive stats say otherwise.

How the heck do you consider Gardiner as having " elite defensive stats " when he is a combined -38 for the last 2 NHL seasons ???? Besides the usual " poor defensive team as a whole " excuse that you guys seem to use a lot when it comes to arguing bad +/- stats.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Lol what? Quite the comment here, can I have some winning lotto numbers?

I don't think they have a #1 in the system but they have a few that I think can be 2/3s.

Agreed. D-men are crazy difficult to project so it's easily possible that a a handful of their current prospects turn into very good players. Just look at the top 10 players in Norris voting last year; half of them weren't even 1st rounders.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
How the heck do you consider Gardiner as having " elite defensive stats " when he is a combined -38 for the last 2 NHL seasons ???? Besides the usual " poor defensive team as a whole " excuse that you guys seem to use a lot when it comes to arguing bad +/- stats.

FYI you lose all credibility when you use +/- as a measuring stick for defensive ability. That stat didn't even have much value 10 years ago before fancy stats came along. Now that all the advanced stats are readily available +/- is pretty much meaningless. The elite defensive stats he speaks of aren't his opinion; they're fact and available online for you.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
FYI you lose all credibility when you use +/- as a measuring stick for defensive ability.

Please oh please give me back my credibility. :laugh:

The elite defensive stats he speaks of aren't his opinion; they're fact and available online for you.

This is what I love - you know damn well if Gardiner was a +38 over the last 2 seasons you would be using that stat to try and prove your point about his " elite defensive " play. For the record - I like Gardiner ( not as much as Krug though ) and certainly would like him on the Bruins but calling him " elite defensively " is nuts.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
The Bruins dont have anyone other than Zboril and McAvoy that can become a #3. They dont have anyone that will be a top pair dman.

:laugh:

That is quite a blanket statement there. I am going to go ahead and say I think you are going to be wrong and they will have at least one top pairing guy and a few second pairing D within a couple of years all from their prospects.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Please oh please give me back my credibility. :laugh:

This is what I love - you know damn well if Gardiner was a +38 over the last 2 seasons you would be using that stat to try and prove your point about his " elite defensive " play. For the record - I like Gardiner ( not as much as Krug though ) and certainly would like him on the Bruins but calling him " elite defensively " is nuts.

Ya you've got me pegged alright. Obviously I didn't make my feelings on +/- clear enough for you.....

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Gardiner would be a top 3 dman on every team other than SJS, CHI, WSH, STL, NSH. Those sre the only teams that have 3 dmen who are definitely better than Gardiner. Some teams may arguably have 3 better dmen like WPG or MIN.

I'd take risto, kulikov and bogo over him but that's just me...

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
By pretty much every metric Gardiner is a number 3 d-man at worst. Elite possession player and great defensively. WOWYs show that Gardiner makes pretty much every teammate better (and most times substantially), but yeah he's a number 4 at best.

Also, lol at Senyshyn scoring 60 on the Knights.

He is not an elite possession player and he isn't that great defensively.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Things I've learned from this thread

Sensyshyn would have scored more than Marner.
Gardiner is both a terrible defenseman and better than Orr.
Boston has 2 top pairing defenseman in their prospect pool.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site

I like the way nobody actually said any of those things in this thread.

Saying Senyshen scored more goals than Marner last season is true, I don't get why people have a hard time with that but apparently they do.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009

Pretty sure no one said any of this.

Although you're right about the prospects, I think a couple could definitely be top pairing d men (not franchise d men though, or even #1s).

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I like the way nobody actually said any of those things in this thread.

Saying Senyshen scored more goals than Marner last season is true, I don't get why people have a hard time with that but apparently they do.

Only 4 people scored more goals than Senyshyn in the OHL last year.

He's truly a fantastic goal scorer, but Marner is clearly the better overall player. His draft slot echoes that sentiment.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I see a lot of Leaf fans LOL'ing in this thread about Bruin Prospects and Krug not being nearly as good as Gardiner, when in reality the only thing that's really funny is the Leafs as a franchise the last 15 years.

And before I hear anything about Babcock and the Shannaplan being the saviour, the same thing was said when Burke and company were brought in.

And yes, Senyshyn on last year's London Knights would have scored 50 easily. Marner is obviously the better prospect but let's wait until they play in the NHL to decide which of the two have more of an impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad