Leafs address the 6 out of 7 Defenders as Lefties situation [2014-2024]

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
But what will be his cost? That's why many don't want him back. For fear of an over payment.

Well, we have space so if it is for one year no big deal. Hopefully we can move him at some point. At least get something in return rather than just letting him walk.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
You're not going to get a better 3rd line RHD than Franson. He will stay.

Franson won't be with the team. Our defense has no room for him unless it's as the #7. No way Phaneuf gives up the right side and Holzer is a much, much cheaper option to sit in the pressbox and fill in when needed. All we need is someone to play with Dion.

????-Phaneuf
Rielly-Robidas
Gardiner-Polak
Holzer

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Franson won't be with the team. Our defense has no room for him unless it's as the #7. No way Phaneuf gives up the right side and Holzer is a much, much cheaper option to sit in the pressbox and fill in when needed. All we need is someone to play with Dion.

????-Phaneuf
Rielly-Robidas
Gardiner-Polak
Holzer

Gardiner will be the best option for now.

Gardiner / Phaneuf
Rielly / Robidas
xxxx/ Polak
Granberg

Maybe Percy could be xxxx ?

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Gardiner will be the best option for now.

Gardiner / Phaneuf
Rielly / Robidas
xxxx/ Polak
Granberg

Maybe Percy could be xxxx ?

Percy needs at least another AHL season or two - not impressed with his game at all. Very weak defensively.

Gardiner(Robidas, Polak) / Phaneuf
Rielly / Robidas
Franson/ Polak
Granberg

Granberg is the number 7 unless he stinks in training camp. I can see Robidas and Polak spelling Gardiner with Phaneuf unless another trade is made to bring in a top notch defender.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Robidas will play with Phaneuf, mark my words. I know you bunch of timmies have been crying about how we spent $3 million/year on a 37 year old, but Robidas is still a very capable #2-3 minute muncher. He is perfect for Dion and is an exemplary role model for all the defenseman, from Rielly to Phaneuf.
Robidas is excellent at moving the puck and has all-round ability. Problem is that his body cannot play those tough minutes as he did in the pastand I see a lesser role here. If he's able to play a top pairing role respectable, I'd consider using him.

Don't count on it, though.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Yeah Robidas said himself that he was brought in to play with one of the kids. I doubt they tell him that and then plan to play him with Dion.

Franson with Polak on the third would be great, if Polak can play left. Greed is the only trouble there, really.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah Robidas said himself that he was brought in to play with one of the kids. I doubt they tell him that and then plan to play him with Dion.

Franson with Polak on the third would be great, if Polak can play left. Greed is the only trouble there, really.
If we can retain Franson, we're going to have two legitimate mid-pairing. He's a big point producer and can be steady as we saw against Boston. Give him someone like Polak who is much more mobile than Fraser and we'd he'd look impressive.

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Polak - Franson
Rielly- Robidas
Granberg

I have Robidas down as a third pairing man due to injury history. He may not even be able to play an entire season. Nevertheless, the veteran presence will be highly valuable to a rather young team.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If we can retain Franson, we're going to have two legitimate mid-pairing. He's a big point producer and can be steady as we saw against Boston. Give him someone like Polak who is much more mobile than Fraser and we'd he'd look impressive..

Why didn't the Leafs simply pair Gunnarsson with Franson then you have LHD and RHD?.

Franson and Polak are both RH shots and part of the trade concept was to get more balance in strong side shooting positions.

Gunnarsson being able to support Franson defensively.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Percy needs at least another AHL season or two - not impressed with his game at all. Very weak defensively.

Gardiner(Robidas, Polak) / Phaneuf
Rielly / Robidas
Franson/ Polak
Granberg

Granberg is the number 7 unless he stinks in training camp. I can see Robidas and Polak spelling Gardiner with Phaneuf unless another trade is made to bring in a top notch defender.

I think the move would be made to bring in a bottom pairing LHD actually. Somebody to plug the that 3rd pairing hole while Percy and Finn mature. I wonder about giving MDZ a bargain 1 year deal, he's a local kid, not much to lose as we do have the spot open especially if we walk away from Franson.

Gardiner / Phaneuf
Rielly / Robidas
MDZ / Polak

Granberg

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
I don't know why some of you would think we would go out and get 2 RHD just to play one on the left side, hell you know Carlyle loves his handedness.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't know why some of you would think we would go out and get 2 RHD just to play one on the left side, hell you know Carlyle loves his handedness.

Too much love for the guys already on the team?

They have 3 NHL RHD, and another knocking on the door.

They have Gardiner and Rielly as LHD, neither of whom are good enough to carry a pairing, so to play them on their weak side would probably look like this year, 5th. worst defensive team.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I think the move would be made to bring in a bottom pairing LHD actually. Somebody to plug the that 3rd pairing hole while Percy and Finn mature. I wonder about giving MDZ a bargain 1 year deal, he's a local kid, not much to lose as we do have the spot open especially if we walk away from Franson.

Gardiner / Phaneuf
Rielly / Robidas
MDZ / Polak

Granberg

This makes the most sense, IMO. MDZ on a Raymond type deal; one year. He can battle with Granberg/Holzer for the last spot. If he doesn't work out, we trade, waive, or scratch him and he's gone by end of the year. If he does pick up his game, then we get a good defender for the year, and he can cash in elsewhere next year when our prospects are more ready to graduate.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Part of the reason provided for the Gunnar and Polak trade was to move a LH shot for a RH shot. To move Polak to his weak side and over to the left wouldn't really make a lot of sense.

What I am most interested in seeing is how Granberg RHD performs as Leafs management claims he is knocking on the NHL door.

For him to become a regular that means he would push one of the other RH shots (Franson, Robidas or Polak) to the pressbox or replace them as a injury fill-in.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Franson played best with a stay at home, board working, physical defence man. Playing mostly with Gardiner and Rielly really hindered his game.

Luckily, we got rid of an AHL player (Fraser) and brought in a stellar bottom pairing player for Franson to play with.

Of course, the two RHD makes it difficult, which is the only concern I have, but should be okay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Franson played best with a stay at home, board working, physical defence man. Playing mostly with Gardiner and Rielly really hindered his game.

Luckily, we got rid of an AHL player (Fraser) and brought in a stellar bottom pairing player for Franson to play with.

Of course, the two RHD makes it difficult, which is the only concern I have, but should be okay.

LHD = Phaneuf, Gardiner & Rielly
RHD = Franson, Robidas, Polak

I think the plan is to play players in their natural positions and that is why Leaf spent the summer rebuilding the right side of the defense with right hand shooting Dmen.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

But why would you want to play a RHD on his weak side?

There is no reason to do that.

Franson is a dreadful skater, 3rd. pairing and PP, so just put him there with a LHD and don't try and over think it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I think the plan is to play players in their natural positions and that is why Leaf spent the summer rebuilding the right side of the defense with right hand shooting Dmen.

Leafs were one of the worst teams in the league and 5th. worst defensively.

Just fix the problems, these guys aren't good enough to be cute!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

There is no reason to do that.

Franson is a dreadful skater, 3rd. pairing and PP, so just put him there with a LHD and don't try and over think it.

I agree, hovever ...

If that is where Franson goes then process of elimination puts Robidas and Polak in the top 4 if you keep players on their shooting sides.

Franson was a -20 last year paired mostly with Gardiner an offensive Dman and was a +4 in 2012-13 when paired with Fraser a defensive dman.

It would appear Franson is better suited have a defensive partner for his game and Leafs only have Phaneuf (top pairing), Gardiner and Rielly as options to partner him with.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I agree, hovever ...

If that is where Franson goes then process of elimination puts Robidas and Polak in the top 4 if you keep players on their shooting sides.

Franson was a -20 last year paired most with Gardiner an offensive Dman and was a +4 in 2012-13 when paired with Fraser a defensive dman.

It would appear Franson is better suited have a defensive partner for his game and Leafs only have Phaneuf (top pairing), Gardiner and Rielly as options to partner him with.

I'm fine with him in the PB.

Leafs need to get a lot smarter defensively.

Franson reminds me of watching Larry Murphy trying to get back in the defensive zone as forwards fly by the pinch.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm fine with him in the PB.

Leafs need to get a lot smarter defensively.

Franson reminds me of watching Larry Murphy trying to get back in the defensive zone as forwards fly by the pinch.

"Play the kids"

Rielly -- Granberg as the 3rd pairing

That leaves ;

Phaneuf -- Robidas
Gardiner -- Polak

Is that smarter defensively, not sure but its certainly different than last year?.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto

What did you edit in my post?

Because it makes the most sense to have Gardiner, Phaneuf, Rielly and Robidas in our top 4 and Franson and Polak in our bottom 2.

Like you said, Franson should not be receiving minutes above the bottom 6 minutes. If you want to interchange Polak and Robidas, fine, but I would like Rielly to be mentored by Robidas since he obviously learned little last year, defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad