Leafs address the 6 out of 7 Defenders as Lefties situation [2014-2024]

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
What did you edit in my post?

Because it makes the most sense to have Gardiner, Phaneuf, Rielly and Robidas in our top 4 and Franson and Polak in our bottom 2.

Like you said, Franson should not be receiving minutes above the bottom 6 minutes. If you want to interchange Polak and Robidas, fine, but I would like Rielly to be mentored by Robidas since he obviously learned little last year, defensively.

That's not happening, honestly I could see the end of Franson, and Franson hindered Rielly since they were paired together for a large part of the year.

I see:

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Rielly-Robidas
XXX-Polak

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That's not happening, honestly I could see the end of Franson, and Franson hindered Rielly since they were paired together for a large part of the year.

I see:

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Rielly-Robidas
XXX-Polak

That is how I see it also .. With Franson RH shot no longer a fit and Leafs needing a LH 3rd pairing dman.

Granberg unfortunately also a RH shot and not ideal either for the LH side to fill the XXX spot.

With Phaneuf mentoring Gards and Robidas mentoring Rielly making up the top 4.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
Also with Robidas saying they want him to mentor one of the kids (Gards,Rielly) that's how I see the top 4 shaping up. As you mentioned though I do wonder what the 3LD will be.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Do the Leafs think they're gunning for the Cup this year?

I'd be fine with this.

Its a strong draft year so, so am I.

This year should be more about development getting Gardiner, Rielly and Granberg prime development opportunities and let the cards fall where they may.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Dion will be playing on the right side.....he is far worse on the left side as he struggles with transition skating more on the left then on the right.

My prayer is that Dion is not paired with Rielly. I would like someone who can think the game to mentor him. I feel sorry for Gardiner as he will get the perverse pleasure of being paired with Dion...I hope that some are prepared for Dion getting out played by his partner again and being seen for what he really is.....not very good defensively.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Dion will be playing on the right side.....he is far worse on the left side as he struggles with transition skating more on the left then on the right.

My prayer is that Dion is not paired with Rielly. I would like someone who can think the game to mentor him. I feel sorry for Gardiner as he will get the perverse pleasure of being paired with Dion...I hope that some are prepared for Dion getting out played by his partner again and being seen for what he really is.....not very good defensively.

I'd like to see Dion paired with Hamhuis.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'd like to see Dion paired with Hamhuis.

Agreed, were you thinking of Edler or someone else coming back to the Leafs in the trade?

We have a lot of young Swedes in the system and they will need mentoring.

Edler --- Granberg pairing on the Leafs

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
Seems like we are one competent/experienced LHD type player away from having a good defense.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Gardiner (L) - Phaneuf (L)
Rielly (L) - Robidas (R)
Franson (R) - Polak (R)
?

If you match up handedness, which I think most NHL teams try to do ... this is unlikely.

The Leafs signed Franson for 3mil, so he must be in the plans.
Franson 1 year $3.3 mil (sides avoid arbitration)
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1711997

honestly I could see the end of Franson, and Franson hindered Rielly since they were paired together for a large part of the year.

I see:

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Rielly-Robidas
XXX-Polak

Do you change your mind about Franson after the 1 year, 3.3 mil deal ?

How would someone struggle with transition skating more on one side ?
Dion is a LD that can play both sides. The Leafs has the fewest Right handed Dman in the whole league last year.

==Left==
Phaneuf
Rielly
Gardiner
Loov
Percy

==Right==
Robidas
Polak
Granberg
Franson
Holzer

Wouldn't it be smart to play Phaneuf on "The other side than he played last year" ?
As he had a terrible year ?

Can anyone find a source about which side Dion prefers ?

What side of the ice did Dion play in Calgary ?

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
Listening to an interview with Franson on leafs.com. He said that he wants to play in the top 4 next season.

Also had some good things to say about Polak.

Last edited:

Pholus

May 23, 2014
How would someone struggle with transition skating more on one side ?
Dion is a LD that can play both sides. The Leafs has the fewest Right handed Dman in the whole league last year.

Not to be a nitpicker, but Detroit dressed 0 right-shooting dmen last season. ;)

I believe that Phaneuf played the right side in Calgary, but I'm not sure whether that was his choice, or due to a lack of right-shooting dmen.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
Noticed posters on the Blues board feel that Polak is ill-suited for playing on the left side.

Too bad because he is the type of partner Franson needs... a more mobile Fraser so to speak.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Phaneuf - Robidas
Gardiner - Franson
Rielly - Polak

Makes more sense

They might have Polak with Phaneuf instead.

Ultimately it doesn't matter who is on the first pairing because apparently the plan is not to give them such difficult minutes and to instead spread the responsibility around.

WhatASaveDave

Feb 3, 2010
toronto ontario
They might have Polak with Phaneuf instead.

Ultimately it doesn't matter who is on the first pairing because apparently the plan is not to give them such difficult minutes and to instead spread the responsibility around.

Robidas has more of a history as a top 4 dman in contrast to Polak. Robidas would probably be the better candidate

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Noticed posters on the Blues board feel that Polak is ill-suited for playing on the left side.

Too bad because he is the type of partner Franson needs... a more mobile Fraser so to speak .

Like Gleason?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad