Leafs address the 6 out of 7 Defenders as Lefties situation [2014-2024]

Jul 10, 2003
KW
How did I miss this thread? Glad we picked up a couple righties, but still a huge void in the top pairing if you don't believe phaneuf belongs there. Keeping an eye on Rasmus Anderson in the next draft.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
You can also do it this way.

Phaneuf- Robidas

Rielly- Polak

Gardiner- Franson

Jul 10, 2003
KW
You can also do it this way.

Phaneuf- Robidas

Rielly- Polak

Gardiner- Franson

When Gardiner is on his game, he's our 2nd best d-man, so I think he's too good to end up on the 3rd pairing.

Franson's name became public in the Gorges vetoed trade, I can't see him being back...

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Petter Granberg will get a look at camp. He might start as injury fill in, but don't be surprised if he takes advantage of an opportunity and works his way into the right side 6 spot if an injury happens. He shoots right. He is big, skates well, will not shy away from physical contact. Rarely out of position. There is a reason he has appeared in Sweden's international teams since U18 including the 2013 World Cup playing with the Sedins etc.

..as far as top 2 defensemen, sometimes a calm steady influence is needed in that 2 spot. Orr had Smith, Coffey had Huddy, Lidstrom had Olausson. Not house hold names. Gunnarsson was not out of place on a first pairing. Perhaps one day we will see a Granberg, Percy or Finn in that role.

Last edited:

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
When Gardiner is on his game, he's our 2nd best d-man, so I think he's too good to end up on the 3rd pairing.

Franson's name became public in the Gorges vetoed trade, I can't see him being back...

I guess it might depend upon how much money Franson is awarded on Monday.

The maple leafs hot stove website has an article predicting he will get 3.6 or 3.7 million and stick around to play another season.

They also speculate that the leafs won't be able to walk away unless his contract is around the 4 million threshold.

Should be interesting.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia

I think Gardiner is going onto the top pairing. He's going to be puck stabiliser like Aucoin rather than the steady defensive defenceman like Regehr. For those who don't remember Dion in Calgary, he was awful with the latter. We need someone mobile with strong puck movement ability if we want Dion to be more productive on the offensive side.

As for Granberg, he will not fit on the top pairing. He is a tweener, but is weaker on the puck moving department than Gunnarsson. If he plays, he'll play limited minutes since Phaneuf, Polak and Robidas will be occupying the right side. I think he'd eventually look better with someone like Rielly, but Polak is simply a more calming presence at the moment.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
With Leafs cast of characters up front perhaps the strategy is to roll 7 Dman a game more and that is why they sorted out the RH and LH shooting situation this summer.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I guess it might depend upon how much money Franson is awarded on Monday.

The maple leafs hot stove website has an article predicting he will get 3.6 or 3.7 million and stick around to play another season.

They also speculate that the leafs won't be able to walk away unless his contract is around the 4 million threshold.

Should be interesting.

Interesting indeed. Are we allowed to trade him after arbitration? I don't see where he fits in at this point.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I think Gardiner is going onto the top pairing. He's going to be puck stabiliser like Aucoin rather than the steady defensive defenceman like Regehr. For those who don't remember Dion in Calgary, he was awful with the latter. We need someone mobile with strong puck movement ability if we want Dion to be more productive on the offensive side.

As for Granberg, he will not fit on the top pairing. He is a tweener, but is weaker on the puck moving department than Gunnarsson. If he plays, he'll play limited minutes since Phaneuf, Polak and Robidas will be occupying the right side. I think he'd eventually look better with someone like Rielly, but Polak is simply a more calming presence at the moment.

I like Granberg but I wonder if he's good enough to partner with Rielly? Ideal partner would be more of a 2-way guy with a good slapper...

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
This D group is shaping up to be a lot better balanced in terms of handedness but also skillsets.

Our PK was absolutely dreadful last year as Phaneuf was forced to play his offside + Franson was a regular PK member which was dreadful. Insert Robidas + Polak for Gunnarson + Franson and we've got a big improvement.

5 on 5 we regularly forced a left handed Dman who wasn't comfortable on that side to play that side. This is the biggest reason behind the Gunnarson for Polak deal which can't be viewed in a vacuum. It has to be viewed that Gunnarson was standing in the way of others like Rielly, Gardiner and possibly Phaneuf maximizing their skillsets on the right side.

For the PP we're very well set with or without Franson who I'm counting on being traded or if he's brought back in a very reduced role. Phaneuf, Gardiner, Rielly are all very good top PP unit options well Robidas is a good for 2nd unit minutes.

Even amoung our top D prospects we've got a nice balance in handedness and skillsets with Granberg, Percy, Finn and Holzer if we want to include him.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Does anyone have any concrete evidence that shows Phaneuf prefers the right side? Any quote straight from the horses mouth, or his jockeys? I think he should be playing on his strong side 5v5, the right side on the PP. I've never been a fan of his ability to clear the puck and that may have something to do with it

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Cant you not trade a player after he goes to arbitration? so unless Franson is traded in the next few weeks he'll be with the Leafs. I think he'll get around 3.5 which isnt completely horrible on a short term deal I guess but i'd rather trade him and give someone else a chance

Ace88*

Robidas will play with Phaneuf, mark my words. I know you bunch of timmies have been crying about how we spent $3 million/year on a 37 year old, but Robidas is still a very capable #2-3 minute muncher. He is perfect for Dion and is an exemplary role model for all the defenseman, from Rielly to Phaneuf.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Handed:

Left
Phaneuf
Rielly
Gardiner

Loov
Percy

Right
Robidas
Franson
Polak

Granberg
Holzer

this will make Babcock very happy in a year, because he's ALL about having players play their natural side :laugh:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Gardiner-Phaneuf
Rielly- Robidas
XXX- Polak

XXX= Percy, Fin, UFA signing

Going to be interest to see how many juniors make the jump.

Aaron Ekblad
Adam Pelech
Damon Severson
Darnell Nurse
Derrick Pouliot
Derrick Pouliot
Griffin Reinhart
Guillaume Gelinas
Guillaume Gelinas
Josh Morrissey
Julius Honka
Justin Hache
Mackenzie Weegar
Madison Bowey
Matt Finn
Nikita Zadorov
Randy Gazzola
Ryan Pulock
Shea Theodore
Slater Koekkoek

http://oshawagenerals.com/article/ohl-announces-2013-14-all-star-teams

2013-14 OHL All-Star Teams (voting points in brackets):

1st All-Star Team:
C – Scott Laughton, Oshawa Generals (62)
LW – Dane Fox, Erie Otters (83)
RW – Connor Brown, Erie Otters (88)
D – Aaron Ekblad, Barrie Colts (93)
D – Slater Koekkoek, Windsor Spitfires (55)
G – Alex Nedeljkovic, Plymouth Whalers (67)
Coach – DJ Smith, Oshawa Generals (48)

2nd All-Star Team:
C – Connor McDavid, Erie Otters (61)
LW – Michael Dal Colle, Oshawa Generals (28)
RW – Scott Kosmachuk, Guelph Storm (50)
D – Adam Pelech, Erie Otters (52)
D – Nikita Zadorov, London Knights (51)
G – Matt Murray, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (57)
Coach – Kris Knoblauch, Erie Otters (47)

3rd All-Star Team:
C – Sam Bennett, Kingston Frontenacs (38)
LW – Max Domi, London Knights (23)
RW – Nick Baptiste, Sudbury Wolves (19)
D – Darnell Nurse, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (34)
D – Matt Finn, Guelph Storm (27)
G – Oscar Dansk, Erie Otters (29)
Coach – Scott Walker, Guelph Storm (38)

http://www.whl.ca/article/whl-announces-all-stars-awards-finalists

FIRST ALL-STAR TEAM
Goaltender – Tristan Jarry (Delta, BC), Edmonton Oil Kings
Defenceman – Josh Morrissey (Calgary, AB), Prince Albert Raiders
Defenceman – Ryan Pulock (Grandview, MB) Brandon Wheat Kings
Forward – Sam Reinhart (Vancouver, BC), Kootenay Ice *
Forward – Leon Draisaitl (Cologne, Germany), Prince Albert Raiders
Forward – Curtis Lazar (Vernon, BC), Edmonton Oil Kings

SECOND ALL-STAR TEAM
Goaltender – Patrik Bartosak (Koprivnice, CZR), Red Deer Rebels
Defenceman – Griffin Reinhart (West Vancouver, BC), Edmonton Oil Kings
Defenceman – Julius Honka (Jyvaskyla, Finland), Swift Current Broncos
Forward – Curtis Valk (Medicine Hat, AB), Medicine Hat Tigers
Forward – Jaedon Descheneau (Edmonton, AB), Kootenay Ice
Forward – Chandler Stephenson (Saskatoon, SK), Regina Pats

WHL WESTERN CONFERENCE ALL-STAR TEAMS

FIRST ALL-STAR TEAM
Goaltender – Jordon Cooke (Leduc, AB), Kelowna Rockets
Defenceman – Derrick Pouliot (Weyburn, SK), Portland Winterhawks
Defenceman – Shea Theodore (Aldergrove, BC), Seattle Thunderbirds
Forward – Nicolas Petan (Delta, BC), Portland Winterhawks *
Forward – Mitch Holmberg (Sherwood Park, AB), Spokane Chiefs *
Forward – Oliver Bjorkstrand (Herning, Denmark), Portland Winterhawks

SECOND ALL-STAR TEAM
Goaltender – Eric Comrie (Edmonton, AB), Tri-City Americans
Defenceman – Damon Severson (Melville, SK), Kelowna Rockets
Defenceman – Madison Bowey (Winnipeg, MB), Kelowna Rockets
Forward – Joshua Winquist (St. Albert, AB), Everett Silvertips
Forward – Todd Fiddler (Meadow Lake, SK), Prince George Cougars
Forward – Mike Aviani (North Vancouver, BC), Spokane Chiefs
* indicates unanimous selection

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_QMJHL_season#All-Star_Teams

First All-Star Team:

Philippe Cadorette, Goaltender, Baie-Comeau Drakkar
Guillaume Gelinas, Defenceman, Val-d'Or Foreurs
Randy Gazzola, Defenceman, Val-d'Or Foreurs
Jonathan Drouin, Centre, Halifax Mooseheads
Anthony Duclair, Left Wing, Quebec Remparts
Anthony Mantha, Right Wing, Val-d'Or Foreurs
Second All-Star Team:

Zachary Fucale, Goaltender, Halifax Mooseheads
Justin Hache, Defenceman, Cape Breton Screaming Eagles
Mackenzie Weegar, Defenceman, Halifax Mooseheads
Cameron Darcy, Centre, Cape Breton Screaming Eagles
Nikolaj Ehlers, Left Wing, Halifax Mooseheads
Marcus Power, Right Wing, Rouyn-Noranda Huskies

http://www.chl.ca/article/chl-announces-2013-14-award-winners/162840

Arctic Spas Defenceman of the Year: Derrick Pouliot (Portland Winterhawks):
Derrick Pouliot scored 17 goals and added 53 assists for 70 points in 58 games with a plus-minus rating of plus-40 for the Portland Winterhawks who captured their second straight U.S Division title during the 2013-14 regular season campaign. The 20-year-old from Weyburn, SK, represented Canada at the World Junior Championship and is a Pittsburgh Penguins prospect selected in the first round of the 2012 NHL Draft. Finalists for the award include Guillaume Gelinas of the Val-d’Or Foreurs, and Aaron Ekblad of the Barrie Colts.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
Robidas will play with Phaneuf, mark my words. I know you bunch of timmies have been crying about how we spent $3 million/year on a 37 year old, but Robidas is still a very capable #2-3 minute muncher. He is perfect for Dion and is an exemplary role model for all the defenseman, from Rielly to Phaneuf.

If that's the case I'd like to see

Phaneuf- Robidas
Gardiner- Polak
Rielly- Granberg

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
If that's the case I'd like to see

Phaneuf- Robidas
Gardiner- Polak
Rielly- Granberg

I am not opposed to this but definitely feel that we will be back in the lottery with that much inexperience on the backend.

officialmark*

You're not going to get a better 3rd line RHD than Franson. He will stay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad