Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
The expectations for Bernier are ridiculous.

It's highly unlikely he can provide more wins or better numbers than Reimer did last year. If he does, we just acquired a sure-fire 2014 Vezina nominee.

So to see a young guy come in and have to live up to those expectations worries me.

ShooterMikgaven

Sep 1, 2009
Sarnia, ON
Feel pretty so-so about this trade. We gave up quite a bit for an unproven guy who essentially is in the same catagory as Reimer and Scrivens as far as NHL pedigree (even less than reimer), except he was a much more hyped prospect comming in

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Reimer maintain his starting role next year. Scrivens was doing a fine job of pushing Reimer for playing time and had excellent numbers for a backup goaltender.

I don't think this is a bad trade from a value standpoint. We probably won the trade in that regard. It's just an unnecessary use of assets and needless risk at this time.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Just as Tukku Rask did.

Really the Kings squeaked into the playoffs last year only to win the cup when they got hot at the right time, the year before they finished 12th in the league, it's not like they are the second coming of the Montreal Canadiens and we just acquired Bunny Larocque.

not really. Rask had a much bigger role, and played much better.

Age 19

Rask 0gms
Bernier 4gms, .864

Age 20

Rask 4gms, .886
Bernier 0gms

Age 21

Rask 1gms, 1.000
Bernier 3gms, .957

Age 22

Rask 45gms, .931
Bernier 25gms, .913

Age 23

Rask 29gms, .918
Bernier 16gms, .908

Age 24

Rask 23gms, .929
Bernier 14gms, .922

Feb 24, 2004
Exactly!

The Islanders won Cups with future Hall of Famer Billy Smith in net and Chico Resch, who was an all-star, also on the team. The Oilers won Cups with future Hall of Famer Grant Fuhr in net and Bill Ranford, who was an all-star and won the Conne Smythe, also on the team. You can never have too much goaltending.

Please do not compare a team in a 30 team league to a team from the 80's.

glasses91

Jul 10, 2012
Steelheads!?
Woohoo!

We're looking scary now! Love ya Frattboy, and thank you! Have fun tearing it up bside Toffolli!

I was so pissed when I heard it was for a second, but its not this years!

Way to go Nonis keep em' coming!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Looking at this deal from all angles, it's pretty solid strategically. Frattin, Scrivens and a 2nd is a fairly decent investment of assets in a young bluechip goalie, but Bernier likely won't be depreciating in value in the next year or two barring some kind of epic collapse in his game. If he continues on his way as a platoon and does a good job, chances are you will still be able to deal him for a similar package that we gave up. If he becomes the starter, we can move Reimer for a similar type of package. Either way, I think we get to choose one of the two as our main man long term, and can cash in the other guy for something decent.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
The expectations for Bernier are ridiculous.

It's highly unlikely he can provide more wins or better numbers than Reimer did last year. If he does, we just acquired a sure-fire 2014 Vezina nominee.

So to see a young guy come in and have to live up to those expectations worries me.

So you are saying Reimer should have gotten the Vezina this year?

Where would you have rated Reimer in comparison to the goalies who were actually in discussion?

Give your head a shake. That rattling sound you will hear is a loose screw.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Looking at this deal from all angles, it's pretty solid strategically. Frattin, Scrivens and a 2nd is a fairly decent investment of assets in a young bluechip goalie, but Bernier likely won't be depreciating in value in the next year or two barring some kind of epic collapse in his game. If he continues on his way as a platoon and does a good job, chances are you will still be able to deal him for a similar package that we gave up. If he becomes the starter, we can move Reimer for a similar type of package. Either way, I think we get to choose one of the two as our main man long term, and can cash in the other guy for something decent.

This is essentially how I see this deal.

Nonis and co. are hedging their bets. You gave up a replaceable piece in Scrivens (league avg. backup), Frattin (likely a 25g guy if he puts it together) and 2nd rounder (mystery gamble) for another solid chance at a top 10 goalie.

Its unlikely Bernier and Reimer are both going to fall flat on their face... and I'd argue its even unlikely one of them are going to totally bust. They're both capable NHL goalies, with lots of upside. If both of them workout you're in business and can flip one... if only one works out then you've got your #1.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Good trade. Leafs got the best player in the deal, which is always the sure mark of success. They gave up a bundle of replaceable parts to take a risk on a possibly appreciating asset. Plus, you really can't have too much depth in goal. At best, Reimer and Bernier will spell each other off and push each other to become an effective tandem. At worst, one or the other would be injured or fail, in which case the trade is even more valuable. Since all teams carry two goaltenders, why not have two young ones on the rise?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I like the direction this team is taking with this trade. Building from the net out seems to be the way to go in today's NHL.

I have no doubt that at least one of Bernier/Reimer will become bonafide #1G that is capable of stealing games for our team. Solid goaltending alone can carry a team into the playoffs and win rounds.

After that you look at the defense we are building.

Phaneuf is a #1Dman, Gardiner and Rielly both have top pairing potential and are top notch puck movers with the ability to control the flow of the game. Add to that a solid supporting cast of Gunnarsson, Percy, Finn, Granberg who are all potentially capable of rounding out the top 4.

mikebel111*

and to add on to my previous post

good luck to frattin and scrivens. I believe frattin will do very well in LA and scrivy is a good goalie who can fill In at starter for some time. class acts and wish them all the best

but too bad, kadri lost his best friend in frattin but they can still connect through social media

LA_Viking

Jun 8, 2007
NorCal
I've been a Kings fan for a very long time. Having Bernier as a backup for Quick was the first time in 30 or so years that I never feared the backup going in net for games/saves.

The guy is now nearly as solid as Quick, IMO. And sometimes he was more so. He is a franchise caliber goaltender in waiting.

I'm not sure what to expect from Frattin, but I'm hoping that being in a new city on a new team might revive him. Scrattins I don't really care about because the Kings have Jones in the wings, but Jones is probably one more season away from making it as a #2.

The Leafs just got better in net.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I've been a Kings fan for a very long time. Having Bernier as a backup for Quick was the first time in 30 or so years that I never feared the backup going in net for games/saves.

The guy is now nearly as solid as Quick, IMO. And sometimes he was more so. He is a franchise caliber goaltender in waiting.

I'm not sure what to expect from Frattin, but I'm hoping that being in a new city on a new team might revive him. Scrattins I don't really care about because the Kings have Jones in the wings, but Jones is probably one more season away from making it as a #2.

The Leafs just got better in net.

Thanks for the info. Seems like almost every LA fan i've heard from truly believes in Bernier.

Frattin is a solid player... replaceable on our team atm... but probably falls somewhere between 20-30 goals and is solid defensively. I think you guys will take to Scrivens as well... really professional guy. Isn't a world beater but he'll keep you in games that he starts. Easily a top half of the league backup.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Where would you have rated Reimer in comparison to the goalies who were actually in discussion?

That poster said "better numbers than Reimer"

If Bernier can put up .930SV and ~2.20 GAA...he sure as hell deserves the Vezina.

Bernier isn't much better than Reimer. The Leafs just wanted to make sure they don't have to give up on a season because of bad goaltending.

This is what good GM's do...make sure you have a good team to sustain injuries and bad play.

I can't see both Bernier and Reimer sucking next year. They will both be good or one of them will be bad. There is just too much at stake for both of them not to come out and play as hard as they can.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

1. Bobrovski 38gms, .932
2. Lundqvist 43gms, .926
3. Niemi 43gms, .924
Reimer 33gms, .924

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Think it's a robbery myself. Love Riems, had no problem rolling with him as #1, but this is a huge upgrade overall in the goaltending department, you can't miss adding talent like this. Not saying he's a huge upgrade over Riems necessarily, am saying he's a huge upgrade over Scrivens, and our goaltending is way better today as a team then yesterday.

Frattin.. meh, I was never big on him. He fine, but I don't think he'll ever be good enough to be a top 6 guy and I also don't think his game translated well in a third line role. He might score 20+/20 on a bad team with big minutes but he tops out at third line scoring 15/15 on a decent team. If there was a 2.5 line that's where he belongs. Interchangeable part.

We gave up just this side of nothing in my mind. Frattin is easily enough replaced, obviously we replace and upgrade on Scrivens, a second rounder is a second rounder, no problem including that for a deal of this nature. Looks to me like the retained salary only last one season. Excellent work Nonis, excellent work.

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Lots of wild opinions about this trade. Is no one running down the middle, here?

Anyway, let's see what we got:

Reasons to not like the trade

1st - The Leafs have given up a solid two-way, top-6 forward, and a high draft pick, without actually addressing a specific need on this team. High price, to not fix "anything", right now, anyway.

2nd - Even with all the speculation over the past year, today becomes ABSOLUTE CONFIRMATION that this organization doesn't have confidence in James Reimer, which is surprising given how well he played last season.

3rd - "He is a goaltender that was stuck in a tough situation in his previous team, but now that he's free, he should excel" - That's what is being said about Bernier. We said that about Toskala too.

4th - "He's got lots of potential and should be good enough to be the number 1 in this league" - That's what is being said about Bernier. We said that about Pogge and Raycroft, too.

5th - Another draft pick gone, for a team that has a long standing history with being poor managing their draft picks.

6th - You've lost a lot of cap flexibility not having Scrivens and Frattin on the books, and as negotiating entities - you are never going to get locked into heavy negotiations with either of those guys.

7th - He's unproven.

8th - His current numbers are no better than Scrivens. That's a HUGE price to be paying for someone you "hope" gets beter.

9th -Frattin, even without a goalscoring touch, is a solid two-way forward that will carve out a nice career for himself in the NHL. If he finds the same sort of touch he had with Kadri, the LA Kings get a heck of a player.

10th - Is "competition in goal" ever a good thing? Sure on paper it is, but when has it ever turned out that way? Halak vs Price was an absolute circus. Schneider-Luongo continues in the same vein. Have we just opened up the circus here too?

11th - We retain roughly half a million in salary, in a year where the cap is going down. Not necessarily hamstrung, but with only 12 players on the books, lots of work for Nonis to do

Reasons to like the trade

1st - The draft pick is a good conditional pick; whether it's in 2014 or 2015, The Leafs decide which pick the LA Kings get.

2nd - NO MORE LUONGO RUMOURS!

3rd - In many ways, it's similar to the Schenn-JvR deal. When that trade happened, many lamented giving up an effective player in Schenn, but accepted the deal largely because the upside of JvR, if achieved, could make us clear winners in that deal. This is a similar deal - while losing Frattin and a 2nd seems like a steep price, if Bernier can achieve the potential that many people have set out for him, then the Leafs will be clear winners in this deal.

4th - Reimer dealt with injury and poor form. Reimer dealt with the Luongo talk. He dealt with the Kiprusoff talk. He dealt with all that pressure, and he got us into the playoffs. He got us to game 7 of the playoffs against a team currently playing in the finals. He wont' give up his net easily.

5th - The competition can be really healthy.

6th - It shows that Nonis intends to be active before July 5th.

7th - Several other teams wanted him, and the Leafs won the deal in the end - most be something about Bernier that attracted at least two other teams.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
That poster said "better numbers than Reimer"

If Bernier can put up .930SV and ~2.20 GAA...he sure as hell deserves the Vezina.

Bernier isn't much better than Reimer. The Leafs just wanted to make sure they don't have to give up on a season because of bad goaltending.

This is what good GM's do...make sure you have a good team to sustain injuries and bad play.

I can't see both Bernier and Reimer sucking next year. They will both be good or one of them will be bad. There is just too much at stake for both of them not to come out and play as hard as they can.
Bernier has a lot more potential than Riemer. We need to remember that the system that Randy forces the opposition to produce low quality shots. Since the quality of shots against Riemer was low due to our effective shut down unit (Grabs line + Phanuef's pairing) and our PK unit.

Los Angeles problem was much lower offensive production. Our GF/GA were quite similar, but they had much lower GF and GA. If we can put a more technically sound goalie under the system, we may be able to reduce our GA. Let's face the fact, Riemer was often unable to stop easy goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad