Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Bernier vs. Opponent, in order of opponent GPG:

Vs. Top-15 Offenses: 4gms, .882sv%
Vs. Bottom-15 Offenses: 10gms, .937sv%

Ten of the 15 top offenses were from the Eastern Conference, and there were no East-West games this year.

Also, four games isn't even close to statistically significant.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
- Scrivens didn't push Reimer for the starting position, Bernier will.
- Frattin was a good prospect, but 1-2 years ago he was considered a bust and a bad attitude player because of the NCAA stuff. Players like him who turn everything around are easy to get a attached to but are a basically dime a dozen skill wise. He is easily replaceable.
- Bernier's spot start numbers are not a good sample of his abilities, let him play a couple games in a row and you will see his game improve immensely.
- Losing Frattin, Komarov and possibly MacArthur will open up spots for our prospects to compete. Other than Kulemin, Lupul, JVR, McClement & Kessel, no one's jobs should be safe.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Ten of the 15 top offenses were from the Eastern Conference, and there were no East-West games this year.

Also, four games isn't even close to statistically significant.

Bernier has so far played an extremely protected, sheltered backup role. I'd take his overall numbers with a grain or three of salt.

The K Man

May 7, 2011
Calgary
The fact that he only played 4gms against the top-half offenses is just as significant as his save percentage in those 4gms.

How so? Quick is better than Bernier, everyone knows that. Why would LA play a lesser goalie against top scoring teams? It's not like it is much of an inconvenience to make sure their better goalie plays against higher scoring teams.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Bernier Frame and Coverage of the Net worries me. He's much more flexible and athletic than Reimer, so he can easily make those lunging saves but still. If Bernier had Reimers Frame and Butterfly, while maintaining his athleticism and awesome glovehand, we would be set.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Overall the 2nd was overboard but the deal was fine. I could see a 4th maybe a 3rd but I guess the second got it done.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
How so? Quick is better than Bernier, everyone knows that. Why would LA play a lesser goalie against top scoring teams? It's not like it is much of an inconvenience to make sure their better goalie plays against higher scoring teams.

I'm not sure I understand the question.

Bernier has played in one of the most protected backup roles in all of hockey so far. And his performance in that protected backup role has leaned closer to "OK" than to "good".

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Overall the 2nd was overboard but the deal was fine. I could see a 4th maybe a 3rd but I guess the second got it done.

500K didn't hurt either. Maybe the Leafs have the cash that other teams are not willing to part with.

Or the CEO connections to Lombardi.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Bernier has so far played an extremely protected, sheltered backup role. I'd take his overall numbers with a grain or three of salt.

Sigh.

As previously mentioned, 10 of the teams in the top 15 were from the East. Plus, LA was also in the top 15. That means there were only 4 teams in the "top 15" that LA even played against. He played 4 games against those 4 teams. And 10 games against the 10 Western Conference teams in the "bottom 15"

The East and West were effectively two separate leagues this year. What happened in the east is irrelevant.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Don't sigh, just learn.

Bernier has so far played in one of the most sheltered backup roles in all of hockey. Full stop.

no sighing needed.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Bower and Sawchuk?

Only ones I remember watching although we also had Plante and Parent that weren't as successful.

That's what I thought, but couldn't reconcile that someone was making a comparison of having two number one goalies when there were only 12 goalies in the league vs. today.

dougieg93

Pray for Parayko
Jun 17, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Lundqvist has proven that a 6'1 goalie could be a top goaltender in this league, so I wouldn't write him off this early based on his height alone. He is a different style of goaltender than Reimer, who I think is a fantastic blocker with added an element of aggressiveness this season that was great. but Reimer does often fall down too early and terrible in the shoot out, Bernier, is pretty athletic down low but seems more of a stand up goalie and help increase save percentage on the upper portions of the net.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
My feelings exactly. I seen Bernier play in several games thanks to my dish, and he looked outstanding in the games he was in net. Nothing wrong with having two young goalies. One of them could be a trade chip later on as well. Solid deal by Nonis.

Exactly!

The Islanders won Cups with future Hall of Famer Billy Smith in net and Chico Resch, who was an all-star, also on the team. The Oilers won Cups with future Hall of Famer Grant Fuhr in net and Bill Ranford, who was an all-star and won the Conne Smythe, also on the team. You can never have too much goaltending.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
It's amazing so many professional GMs and scouts aren't able to judge goalies' "tools" effectively, even after watching them play a ton of games.

And it is amazing that you think you know more than the professionals.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
Lundqvist has proven that a 6'1 goalie could be a top goaltender in this league, so I wouldn't write him off this early based on his height alone. He is a different style of goaltender than Reimer, who I think is a fantastic blocker with added an element of aggressiveness this season that was great. but Reimer does often fall down too early and terrible in the shoot out, Bernier, is pretty athletic down low but seems more of a stand up goalie and help increase save percentage on the upper portions of the net.

No he's not but do you know who is...Jonathon Bernier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Just as Tukku Rask did.

Really the Kings squeaked into the playoffs last year only to win the cup when they got hot at the right time, the year before they finished 12th in the league, it's not like they are the second coming of the Montreal Canadiens and we just acquired Bunny Larocque.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
- Scrivens didn't push Reimer for the starting position, Bernier will.

That is simply untrue.

1. Scrivens was our starter coming out of training camp.

2. While filling for 9 consecutive games due to an injury to Reimer, Scrivens came out of it with a 2.41 GAA and a .923 save %.

3. Who says Reimer even needed a push? He's coming off one of the best statistical seasons in recent memory for a Leaf goalie.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
That is simply untrue.

2. While filling for 9 consecutive games due to an injury to Reimer, Scrivens came out of it with a 2.41 GAA and a .923 save %.

3. Who says Reimer even needed a push? He's coming off one of the best statistical seasons in recent memory for a Leaf goalie.

Good post.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
That is simply untrue.

He was already in mid-season form and looked good for the first stretch. But even during his best stretch, he never passed the eyeball test. He never looked that good to me.

Then afterwards when the league picked up their legs, Scrivens looked average at best.

I don't get the fascination with Scrivens. He's a 26 year old college free agent prospect who is at best a good backup.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
That is simply untrue.

Scrivens got the start for 1 reason... It was a lock out year and he was playing in the AHL while Reimer was sitting... Plus Reimer was coming off an injury last year which he was getting over....

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
He was already in mid-season form and looked good for the first stretch. But even during his best stretch, he never passed the eyeball test. He never looked that good to me.

Then afterwards when the league picked up their legs, Scrivens looked average at best.

I don't get the fascination with Scrivens. He's a 26 year old college free agent prospect who is at best a good backup.

He was making next to nothing and has had the same amount of success at the NHL level as Bernier. He was a good, salary controlled option for backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad