Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
The Leafs FO obviously arent sold on Reimer being the real deal and are banking on Bernier's superior skillset and upside.

I really liked Frattin and he should develop into a really solid player on a cup contender.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Imagine if the Leafs end up having a Luongo/Schneider controversy in a few years lmao .. the irony

I don't even know if it's something you want or wouldn't .. on one hand it's good to have competition and 2 goalies pushing each other, on the other hand both could bust :amazed:

I guess we're doing what we have always been told "building from the net out"

next up .. defense

Except we won't have either goalie locked up for the next 10-11 years, I don't think.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
From all reports from reliable hockey people, it looks like he will be. And Bill Ranford also said if it wasn't for Bernier, LA might have not made the playoffs this season had he not come up big when Quick was off his game.

Bernier is not a #1G for only the reason of Quick, same as Rask was prior to this season. He's the real deal.

Forgive me if im skeptical until I see him play for the Leafs. Ive heard that line too many times to believe it outright.

ShLou Foot

6-8-5-13
Jul 3, 2011
crusoed
I need some translation :laugh:

Living on the Wet Coast I get to see many "late" games, and with all due respect Bernier IMHO is reminiscent of A young Felix Potvin(& I can say that cause, I'm that damn old). Fratts we'll miss but I think that this will be Nonis' Loungo deal.

Is that better?;)

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
He's played above average hockey for 14 games? We have a goalie who has done that twice for twice as long and is the same age.

Many have said that without Bernier's heroics this season when Quick was struggling, the Kings would have missed the playoffs.

I would argue it's tough to maintain quality stats when you're playing once every 7-10 games.

Can't wait for Bernier to prove all these sudden experts wrong.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If they both play well, the Leafs win on the ice and off the ice. They'll have the luxury of moving one out for a return similar to Frattin, Scrivens and a 2nd if they decide on one as their workhorse goalie. It's unfortunate for Reimer that he wasn't able to cement his number one status at this point, but as Leafs fans, we probably want to see great goaltending before first and foremost. If it's Bernier giving it to us, so be it. If it's Reimer with the push of a Bernier, that's cool too.

ShLou Foot

6-8-5-13
Jul 3, 2011
crusoed
Not understanding this Olde English at all. I'm guessing it's a negative because you use "with all due respect?" :laugh:

I was thinking Felix Potvin when you said "Le Chat" but maybe it's Emile Francis you're talking about? :laugh:

This is like the enigma code.

And I am Bure or Kovalev........:sarcasm: :laugh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Forgive me if im skeptical until I see him play for the Leafs. Ive heard that line too many times to believe it outright.

I think he's going to make a lot of fans happy. Nonis targeted this guy since January. I know he thinks highly of him when he picked him and Reimer as our goalies for Team Canada. At 25 he is just coming into his own as a Goalie. I'm pretty stoked we have a goalie of his caliber, and with RC as coach, this is looking like a team to be reckoned with very soon.

Just waiting on the other deals to fall, this is turning into a pivotal summer for the Leafs. And if you are a Leafs fan like I am, it's all for the good.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Except we won't have either goalie locked up for the next 10-11 years, I don't think.

Because they can't.

Two 25 year goaltenders next year is good for a rebuilding team.

Same age, slightly better individual stats for Reimer, better team stats for Bernier.

It was a decent move, not sure why the Leafs had to eat salary, but perhaps that was the difference the Leafs could afford.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not at all. The Leafs were clearly looking for goaltending help at the TDL. Fairly or unfairly, the management team isn't sold on Reimer for whatever reasons.

Reimer had a great showing in the playoffs, but at the same time, you do worry somewhat about going to war with a goalie who has publicized flaws in his game. It might not be fair to Reimer but he still has a chance to win that job with continued excellent play.

Maccer

Bring back Pat!!
Mar 10, 2013
Leafs Nation
The grass is always greener on the other side, got a lot of faith in Reims I'm sure he'll be our guy going into the playoffs next year.

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON
Reimer had a great showing in the playoffs, but at the same time, you do worry somewhat about going to war with a goalie who has publicized flaws in his game. It might not be fair to Reimer but he still has a chance to win that job with continued excellent play.

I agree with you. I'm just surprised that some people are actually shocked about this when it's been pretty obvious that the Leafs have been looking to upgrade their goaltending for quite some time.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Speaks Well of the Piece we go today

Lebrun Blog:

Lombardi fretted about this deal for two years but finally felt it was time. He did well in getting the haul he did.

For Ranford, who had done wonderful work with both Jonathan Quick and Bernier, he feels almost like he’s losing his own kid.

"I’ve know him since he was 17. Yes, it does feel like I’m losing a son," said Ranford.

Like the Kings, I’m extremely high on Bernier. I think he’s got star No. 1 written all over him. He’ll have to fight for his starts with James Reimer, but that’s a healthy competition. The Leafs’ front office was just never totally comfortable giving the keys to the kingdom solely to Reimer. Now they feel they’ve doubled their bets.

A good gamble, Ranford said.

"I don’t think he’s any different than Quickie, I think he can prove to a lot of people that he’s a legitimate No. 1 goalie for a long time in this league," said Ranford. "He’s a very fit individual, he’s very passionate about this position. The one thing about his game is that there’s not a lot of maintenance that needs to be done to his game. It’s just little tweaks here and there throughout the season. He’s just a real quality guy and teammate and he wants to be a No. 1, and that’s the big thing."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/25609/leafs-get-the-real-deal-in-bernier

weems

Jul 3, 2008
The grass is always greener on the other side, got a lot of faith in Reims I'm sure he'll be our guy going into the playoffs next year.

Well its not like Leaf fans constantly undervalue there own players or anything.

Most people who have watched both goalies play would admit Bernier is the more talented one. Now that doesnt mean he will necessarily become a better goalie but the Leafs are obviously buying into the notion he can be a elite #1 guy.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Goalies by save percentage, with heights:

1. Anderson 6'2"
2. Bobrovsky 6'2"
3. Rask 6'2"
4. Schneider 6'2"
5. Lundqvist 6'2"
6. Crawford 6'2"
7. Niemi 6'2"
8. Reimer 6'2"
9. Howard 6'0"
10. Emery 6'2"
11. Fasth 5'11"
12. Dubnyk 6'6"
13. Holtby 6'2"
14. Bishop 6'7"
15. Vokoun 6'1"
16. Lehtonen 6'4"
17. Fleury 6'2"
18. Mason 6'4"
19. Miller 6'2"
20. Scrivens 6'2"
21. Hiller 6'2"
22. Nabokov 6'0"
23. Rinne 6'5"
24. Smith 6'4"
25. Backstrom 6'2"
26. Ward 6'1"
27. Giguere 6'1"
28. Luongo 6'3"
29. Elliott 6'2"
30. Ellis 6'0"
31. Pavelec 6'3"
32. Price 6'3"
33. Varlamov 6'2"
34. Quick 6'1"
35. Lindback 6'6"
36. MacDonald 6'0"
37. Markstrom 6'3"
38. Brodeur 6'2"
39. Bryzgalov 6'3"
40. Halak 5'11"
41. Garon 6'1"
42. Peters 6'1"
43. Hedberg 6'0"
44. Kiprusoff 6'1"
45. Clemmensen 6'3"

Bernier 5'11"

Only 7 qualified goalies came in at 6 foot or shorter this season. And only 2 of those goalies were full time starters. One (Howard) was good, one (Nabokov) was bad.

And only 2 qualified goalies came in UNDER 6 feet - Fasth and Halak.

Bernier, if he had played more games, would have been the 3rd 5'11" goalie in the league last year.

We may have just traded for the shortest goalie in hockey right now.

But hey, at least he'll look smooth and stylish in net. Definitely more smooth and stylish than Reimer, even if he doesn't actually stop more pucks.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Vesa Toskala. Facts are that Reimer played behind weaker teams with the pressure of Toronto's number 1 and put up better numbers.

This pretty much proves you have never watched Bernier play a game.

Because if you had, you'd be singing a different tune.

Start watching the games and stop watching the statline. He's a stud. Be prepared to eat your words.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Living on the Wet Coast I get to see many "late" games, and with all due respect Bernier IMHO is reminiscent of A young Felix Potvin(& I can say that cause, I'm that damn old). Fratts we'll miss but I think that this will be Nonis' Loungo deal.

Is that better?;)

Much better! Nice to see some input from a Leafs fan who has actually watched Bernier in action.

If they both play well, the Leafs win on the ice and off the ice. They'll have the luxury of moving one out for a return similar to Frattin, Scrivens and a 2nd if they decide on one as their workhorse goalie. It's unfortunate for Reimer that he wasn't able to cement his number one status at this point, but as Leafs fans, we probably want to see great goaltending before first and foremost. If it's Bernier giving it to us, so be it. If it's Reimer with the push of a Bernier, that's cool too.

Precisely how I see it. Most of the criticisms come across as people worried that Reimer is going to get his feelings hurt. He's a character guy that many Leafs fans have fallen in love with and that can sometimes cloud our judgement of what is best for the team. The Leafs have acquired a goalie that many teams were after and a goalie that many agree have all the tools to be a franchise goalie. Give the guy a chance and be open minded to the possibility that he could make our team better. Fans like to think they have all the answers but just because it doesn't make sense to you now doesn't mean it won't make sense later on. There's still plenty of off-season left. Wait to see how things pan out before getting worked out up trading for a potential franchise goalie.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Goalies by save percentage, with heights:

1. Anderson 6'2"
2. Bobrovsky 6'2"
3. Rask 6'2"
4. Schneider 6'2"
5. Lundqvist 6'2"
6. Crawford 6'2"
7. Niemi 6'2"
8. Reimer 6'2"
9. Howard 6'0"
10. Emery 6'2"
11. Fasth 5'11"
12. Dubnyk 6'6"
13. Holtby 6'2"
14. Bishop 6'7"
15. Vokoun 6'1"
16. Lehtonen 6'4"
17. Fleury 6'2"
18. Mason 6'4"
19. Miller 6'2"
20. Scrivens 6'2"
21. Hiller 6'2"
22. Nabokov 6'0"
23. Rinne 6'5"
24. Smith 6'4"
25. Backstrom 6'2"
26. Ward 6'1"
27. Giguere 6'1"
28. Luongo 6'3"
29. Elliott 6'2"
30. Ellis 6'0"
31. Pavelec 6'3"
32. Price 6'3"
33. Varlamov 6'2"
34. Quick 6'1"
35. Lindback 6'6"
36. MacDonald 6'0"
37. Markstrom 6'3"
38. Brodeur 6'2"
39. Bryzgalov 6'3"
40. Halak 5'11"
41. Garon 6'1"
42. Peters 6'1"
43. Hedberg 6'0"
44. Kiprusoff 6'1"
45. Clemmensen 6'3"

Bernier 5'11"

Only 7 qualified goalies came in at 6 foot or shorter this season. And only 2 of those goalies were full time starters. One (Howard) was good, one (Nabokov) was bad.

And only 2 qualified goalies came in UNDER 6 feet - Fasth and Halak.

Bernier, if he had played more games, would have been the 3rd 5'11" goalie in the league last year.

We may have just traded for the shortest goalie in hockey right now.

But hey, at least he'll look smooth and stylish in net. Definitely more smooth and stylish than Reimer, even if he doesn't actually stop more pucks.

Jonas Enroth?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
enroth didn't play enough to qualify for the leaderboards, like Bernier didn't.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Is that better?;)

no offense to Bernier, but at Bernier's current age, Felix Potvin had been a top notch starting goalie for four seasons already, including taking his team to the conference finals twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad