Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
LOVE IT! Love it so much it's hard to describe! Frattin is a good player, but you have to give to get, and Bernier is such a talented young goalie. Who knows who pans out better between Bernier and Riemer, but I think it's almost a lock that at least one of them will be a long term, quality starter. If they both end up looking like studs in the future, then we can get nice assets for one of them in a trade. Very nice deal by Nonis.

Brolaf

Apr 4, 2013
Woodbridge, ON
Personally quite surprised they made this trade, considering Reimer's fairly strong performance this past season.

Hope Leaf management's assessment of Jonathan Bernier's talent is accurate and he proves to be more valuable than the assets paid to acquire him.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Not far fetched! Frattin scored 7 goals in 25 games last season in limited playing time coming off knee surgery.

That projects out to about 21-25 goals in a full NHL season. With more ice time Frattin can score 25-30 on a good Kings team easily. Carlyle didn't like Frattin but I think this kid is gonna be a player for the Kings.

And if you want a valuable proven #1 you gotta pay for him or another team will.

Then you should target a PROVEN #1, not a 31 year old who has only managed to play more than half a season twice and has only topped .916 once (something Reimer and Bernier have done multiple times by 25 years old).

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
It will only have a negative effect if the team (read: Carlyle) lets it. These guys are pros - they will understand that the hot hand is going to go and they will push themselves harder because of it.

If they were 18 year olds - for sure, I'd agree it would be a problem. In their mid-20's, both of these guys are mature enough to handle the competitiion.

Why would the leafs give up an opportunity for strength in a position? If Reimers confidence is so fragile that some competition is going to effect his game - then we have bigger issues.

No offence, but I think you're being naive.

Hopefully you are right, but I'm not convinced.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
His name is D'Amigo.

Is this the same Damigo who has never played an NHL game? Your expectations are that he can come into the NHL as a rookie, and become an effective pker against bigger, faster competition than he has had to face in his career, and be in the top 3-5 in the NHL for hits? I hope youre right, but if you think he is going to be one of the NHL leaders in hits, you are going to be very disappointed.

Number13

May 21, 2007
No offence, but I think you're being naive.

Hopefully you are right, but I'm not convinced.

Actually, I think you might be the naive one. Reimer is as humble as they come, he's battled adversity his whole life.

He's going to go into this with a positive, open mind, and we could have two potentially great young goalies to choose from on any given night.

The Leafs have made it a major priority to bring in players with character and work ethic. They would not have brought Bernier in if they thought his presence would disrupt their locker room or rattle Reimer.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
In a vacuum it's excellent value (wish we could've kept that 2nd round pick, but I'm glad the year is at least our choice), but I wonder how this will affect our cap situation.

Scrivens was a .915 backup making nearly nothing. Bernier's going to want to get paid.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Yeah I'm starting to warm up to this a bit. Having two great young goaltenders is better than one. If one of them goes down with an injury, we don't really have to go into panic mode.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Is this the same Damigo who has never played an NHL game? Your expectations are that he can come into the NHL as a rookie, and become an effective pker against bigger, faster competition than he has had to face in his career, and be in the top 3-5 in the NHL for hits? I hope youre right, but if you think he is going to be one of the NHL leaders in hits, you are going to be very disappointed.

He probably won't lead the league in hits but yes, I have no problem believing he'd be every bit as good at PK at the NHL level (as for size he's already 23 lbs heavier than Komarov) and unlike Komarov will provide some offense in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Actually, I think you might be the naive one. Reimer is as humble as they come, he's battled adversity his whole life.

He's going to go into this with a positive, open mind, and we could have two potentially great young goalies to choose from on any given night.

The Leafs have made it a major priority to bring in players with character and work ethic. They would not have brought Bernier in if they thought his presence would disrupt their locker room or rattle Reimer.

I think people are underselling Reimer's mental resolve and his humility to put his individual accomplishments second to the overall betterment of the team. When Reimer returned from injury two years ago and struggled in his first few starts, Gus was given the reigns and he said that Reimer was very supportive of him. When Scrivens was given the start this season, Scrivens said that Reimer was his biggest supporter and when Reimer was asked about being overlooked in favour of Gus and Scrivens, on both occasions he complimented both players and said that it's his job to be supportive and work hard to earn his time. Reimer's history would strongly suggest that he isn't about getting freebies. He's willing to put the work in to earn his spot and if he has to sit on the bench, he's going to be the biggest cheerleader there for whoever is in net for his team. That is his character and I don't for one second doubt that that's going to change because of Bernier.

From what Kings fans have said and Kings management, it seems Bernier is much the same way. He's a team guy first and the reason for him wanting out of LA is not bitterness or personality clashes, it was simply a young guy wanting to go to a team where he had a fighting shot at being a #1.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

I wonder if anyone remembers that we once had two HOF goalies platoon for us 3 straight years?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Nonis was right about a young up and coming goalie once (Luongo in Florida) so hopefully it can happen again. Wasn't a cheap return and it remains to be seen whether the goaltending position should have been addressed. The Leafs need center and defence as well.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lombardi said in a Cap system it is impossible to keep 2 No.1 Goalies, thus he was forced to move Bernier.

There is no way the Leafs are keeping both Reimer and Bernier for an extended amount of time, people need to stop drinking the koolaid.

If Reimer is not moved this summer, this might turn out to be a bad move, like Luongo and Schneider in Vancouver is right now.

Fuhr/Potvin and Potvin/Cujo didn't last long either, and there was no cap then.

People are not thinking long term and presently what the Bernier deal means to Nonis. It's all about assembling chips at the poker table.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
I actually think Carlyle did like Frattin. When Frattin was scoring like crazy, Carlyle made sure he didn't break up Kadri and Frattin. Then when Frattin came back from injury, Carlyle gave him a good chunk of games with Kadri to see if they could keep scoring and Frattin couldn't. Frattin had every opportunity to keep playing in the top-6 with Kadri, but Frattin wasn't producing at all.

30 goals is significant amount though and unless everything goes right for Frattin (including a ridiculous shooting %), I don't see him coming close. I could see him having one or two seasons with 20 goals, but that's where he tops out IMO.

This didn't happen at all... When Frattin came back MaCarthur was working well with Kadri where Carlyle didn't want to break that up and Frattin played with Grabo a game or 2 then made a healthy scratch for a string of games. Mac then did his usual passenger work that when Lupul returned from his injury it was he and Kulemin who flanked Kadri.

In Fact Frattin didn't get utilized to his abilities again until game 2 of the playoffs when finally Carlyle took Mac out and went with Frattin.

Frattin hasn't scratched the surface to what his potential is IMO no different to Bernier.

Having said that Goaltending is the most important position in hockey just ask Carolina when Ward went down what happen to them ;) adding Bernier IMO to tandem with Reimer is pure genius in my books. May the best performer win the battle of the label #1 cause I tell you what whomever does win that job it will be earned. Which means great goaltending for the Leafs regardless of who's in net bolds really well on the 3 games in 4 nights aspect of the schedule and the back to backs.

onemorecup*

LOL! dude when you have an opinion you just spam this forum with it in each thread.... Gardiner IMO isn't going anywhere. Will be a huge mistake rather Reilly is in the pipe line or not just to trade for a prospect that's 3 years away from living up to draft day hype if at all.

Much like this trade if the Leafs make a trade with Edmonton for the 7th pick in the draft it wont be as high as you and many others like to think. More in the likes of a Gunnarson, 21st and a prospect. The pick is #7 Edmonton has not #1;)

keep dreaming

7 overall is gold this year best draft in 10 years

a 5th d man, 21 , and a prospect , :biglaugh:

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
It feels like Nonis has a plan and is marching towards it. Much like a chess strategy.

Gets his goalie. Opening move. Frattin is collateral damage on the way to check mate.

What's next?

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
In a vacuum it's excellent value (wish we could've kept that 2nd round pick, but I'm glad the year is at least our choice), but I wonder how this will affect our cap situation.

Scrivens was a .915 backup making nearly nothing. Bernier's going to want to get paid.

I've been thinking about that as well. I thought were were in good with our cap situation but now that we've retained two salaries for a player that still needs to be signed, I'm now starting to wonder. I know people didn't want to waste a buyout option on Komi who only has one year left but it seems like that has to happen.

I'm hoping with Kadri, Franson, Bernier and Gunnar all RFAs, we can get some nice caphits from those players.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
What is this based on?

A projection based on more consistency at the NHL level. He's gone on some serious scoring streaks already in his career (early season this year, AHL playoffs last year, NCAA). I think when you watch the Kings next year, you'll see many similarities in the way Dustin Brown plays compared to Frattin. Good role model for him.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Lombardi said in a Cap system it is impossible to keep 2 No.1 Goalies, thus he was forced to move Bernier.

There is no way the Leafs are keeping both Reimer and Bernier for an extended amount of time, people need to stop drinking the koolaid.

If Reimer is not moved this summer, this might turn out to be a bad move, like Luongo and Schneider in Vancouver is right now.

People are not thinking long term and presently what the Bernier deal means to Nonis.

Even though they are considered to be 2 #1 goalies, their contracts don't state that.

For 4 years the Kings had the luxury to be paying Jonathan Quick a cap hit of 1.8 million dollars (770k in 09-10 season) and 3 years with Bernier at a cap hit of 1.25 (850k in 10-11 season). The best part of that was that neither goaltender was proven and each had the opportunity to make their mark on the team, all while the Kings were able to pay them to do so.

Same goes for the Leafs. They have had 1 year where they paid Reimer 600k and now are in the realm of 1.8 mill. He hasn't fully answered the bell in managements eyes, so they brought in someone else to push him. I see no problem in it and hope that he keeps showing them that he's the real deal.

NaiveLeafsFan

Aug 29, 2010
Ajax, UofT

People are not thinking long term and presently what the Bernier deal means to Nonis. It's all about assembling chips at the poker table.

So? We end up in a situation Montreal had with Halak and Price, then we make a decision and keep BPA. Flip the other guy for assets. Boom.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I don't know how anyone can be unhappy by this trade. Bernier has more upside and if he reaches it we have a Franchise goalie. If he does not reach it, we still have Reimer to play. Its called depth, good to have eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad