Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Cuz "Fatty" the Kings fan is the definitive word on NHL goaltending. :shakehead

no, but ask anybody else and they will tell you that JB is the real goods. I was merely pointing out how a fan of another team came here to tell us what he's seen from following his team (thus bernier) don't know why your so upset over this, or why you point me out. Obvioulsy I wasn't quantifying Fatty as being the NHL's goaltending guru, thought that was obvious.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
no, but ask anybody else and they will tell you that JB is the real goods. I was merely pointing out how a fan of another team came here to tell us what he's seen from following his team (thus bernier) don't know why your so upset over this, or why you point me out. Obviously I wasn't quantifying Fatty as being the NHL's goaltending guru, thought that was obvious.
edit:spelling

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Wow this board is so frustrating sometimes.. who in their right mind really thinks we could have traded a back up goalie (who I doubt would have even seen the light of day in the NHL if not for Toronto's goalie problems) and a third liner who can hardly even stay on the big club (and wasn't good after he came back from injury) for a #1 centre?? Give your head a shake!

And all of a sudden Reimer is the #1 goalie we've been waiting for? He's injury prone, inconsistent and every player in the nhl knows he can't save a puck high glove (0-5 in shootouts). When the Leafs are planning on him being #1 he's unproven and everyone complains.. now that we have a potential superstar goalie Reimer is a God on skates and we didn't need the upgrade. ok...

Seriously? Seriously?

3 GF in 5 shoot out games (21 attempts) but it was Reimer's glove. Unbelievable.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I like it.

Frattin was expendable because he's redundant. We have lots of scoring wingers on this team, and he's almost a waste playing a 3rd line checking role, wasn't a whole lot of room for him. Bernier is a big upgrade on Scrivens and gives us security in case of a Reimer injury for essentially a redundant winger and a 2nd round pick.

Not a deal we had to make, Reimer still the starter, we're essentially the same team moving forward but it does improve our depth in goal.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
The back up goalie was awful putting up a .915 save percentage??? You cant be serious. Do you know the last Leaf starting goalie, not named Reimer who had a better sv percentage than Scrivens? This is a ridiculous statement to make.

I'm beginning to warm up to the move. but if Nonis doesn't address the main issues, defence, replace pk and hits lost from Komarov and potentially Bozak, he dropped the ball big time here.

His name is D'Amigo.

Wendel17

Aug 21, 2007
Bernier has the best chance of being the best player in the trade. I like the deal for both teams. We needed an upgrade in goal. Reimer was good last year, but not great.

MapleLeafGardens*

At least Nonis didn't give up a first rounder. Thank goodness for that. Leafs could have traded Scrivens for a pick and signed Kingston native UFA Mike Smith from Phoenix. Then the leafs would have proven starting goalie, an extra draft pick and Frattin. Instead they gave up picks and young assets for an unproven starter, albiet with potential.

This is a a head scratcher. Of course if Bernier turns into an elite goalie than Nonis will have a statue erected at ACC, if he's another Raycroft he's another JFJ consigned to hockeys ash heap never to be heard from again. I'm hoping for the former.

This agreed ^ 100% bang on the Leafs are a much better team with a proven #1 in Mike Smith keeping Matt Frattin a potential 25-30 goal speedy winger and holding onto that 2nd round pick.

The more i analyse this trade by Nonis the worse it's looking for the Leafs.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I'm not going to read 29 pages of who is better or all the negativity.

At the end of the day we are a better and deeper team. I like Reimer but I like Bernier better. Let them go after each other and see who deserves the starting role. A year from now, or two, we can trade one for more than what we gave up.

Good on Nonis!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Its not 100% that we'd be able to sign Mike Smith.

Also, we plan on taking a run at Weiss, and Clarkson/Horton among others, we need the cap space and can't be spending 6M on a goalie.

Mike Smith has benefited greatly from Dave Tippett's system. He would be stupid to leave

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
This agreed ^ 100% bang on the Leafs are a much better team with a proven #1 in Mike Smith keeping Matt Frattin a potential 25-30 goal speedy winger and holding onto that 2nd round pick.

The more i analyse this trade by Nonis the worse it's looking for the Leafs.

Mike Smith is going to get paid big time this summer. He'll probably make more than Reimer and Bernier combined. Also, he's a proven #1 in Phoenix. The place where every goalie can look amazing. He's been lackluster everywhere else he's been.

Also, calling Frattin a 25-30 goal winger is far-fetched. I like Frattin and think he'll solidify a spot in the NHL, but what you see is pretty much what you get with him. It's not like he's 20 y/o.

TheFloater

May 25, 2008
Mississauga
Count me as a fan of the trade- I like Frattin, but it's not very often you get a chance to acquire a goalie with Bernier's skill. If you want a potential elite goalie you have to give up assets and I think this trade works very well for both sides. Frattin should do well in LA, and Bernier could be the goalie we've been looking for since Belfour.

MapleLeafGardens*

Also, calling Frattin a 25-30 goal winger is far-fetched. I like Frattin and think he'll solidify a spot in the NHL, but what you see is pretty much what you get with him. It's not like he's 20 y/o.

Not far fetched! Frattin scored 7 goals in 25 games last season in limited playing time coming off knee surgery.

That projects out to about 21-25 goals in a full NHL season. With more ice time Frattin can score 25-30 on a good Kings team easily. Carlyle didn't like Frattin but I think this kid is gonna be a player for the Kings.

And if you want a valuable proven #1 you gotta pay for him or another team will.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Mike Smith is going to get paid big time this summer. He'll probably make more than Reimer and Bernier combined. Also, he's a proven #1 in Phoenix. The place where every goalie can look amazing. He's been lackluster everywhere else he's been.

Yup, just look at Bryzgalov now.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Leafs get the real deal in Bernier

'He’s the real deal," Kings goalie Bill Ranford told ESPN.com Sunday. "He’s really highly regarded by us. He’s not only a great goalie but he’s a great person. They’re going to love him there."

I can tell you that for GM Dean Lombardi and the rest of the Kings front office, this was a tough pill to swallow. They feel they’re trading away a future star, franchise goalie. But they had to. You can’t keep two star goalies in a cap system, not with the cap going down next season and the Kings needing to re-up Slava Voynov (done) and Rob Scuderi (not done yet) and other RFAs.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/25609/leafs-get-the-real-deal-in-bernier

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
Not far fetched! Frattin scored 7 goals in 25 games last season in limited playing time coming off knee surgery.

That projects out to about 21-25 goals in a full NHL season. With more ice time Frattin can score 25-30 on a good Kings team easily. Carlyle didn't like Frattin but I think this kid is gonna be a player for the Kings.

I actually think Carlyle did like Frattin. When Frattin was scoring like crazy, Carlyle made sure he didn't break up Kadri and Frattin. Then when Frattin came back from injury, Carlyle gave him a good chunk of games with Kadri to see if they could keep scoring and Frattin couldn't. Frattin had every opportunity to keep playing in the top-6 with Kadri, but Frattin wasn't producing at all.

30 goals is significant amount though and unless everything goes right for Frattin (including a ridiculous shooting %), I don't see him coming close. I could see him having one or two seasons with 20 goals, but that's where he tops out IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad