Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Going to be weird with two guys who should be starting but only one will. Bernier has the higher potential and outplayed Quick during the regular season.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Such an amazing deal
Scrivens was garbage. Was fine for ahl
Frattin was god awful after his injury and ahl stint

Huge move

Welcome Bernier

The back up goalie was awful putting up a .915 save percentage??? You cant be serious. Do you know the last Leaf starting goalie, not named Reimer who had a better sv percentage than Scrivens? This is a ridiculous statement to make.

I'm beginning to warm up to the move. but if Nonis doesn't address the main issues, defence, replace pk and hits lost from Komarov and potentially Bozak, he dropped the ball big time here.

91Kadri91*

None? He personally called Bernier to welcome him. The Leafs have been after Bernier for a few years now, and "ongoing for months" coincides with the Lieweke hiring a few months ago.

Leiweke was hired at the end of April, I believe.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Gardiner is a 80 game known so he is an unknown to Edmonton also.

You have to expand your thought process, unless Mac T went to the Mike Milbury school of GM's. He is not making deals involving the #7 pick which would have been a top 3 pick last year. For Gunnar or Franson. Rielly and Gardiner are the only 2 d men that can get it done.

And it's not like they are known commodities either. Last I checked Gardiner was in and out of the minors last season, he is not Letang Leafs nation. Has not proven this at all. He is a player with a lot pf potential to go either way, and this is sellable to a GM like Mac T.

Plus the potential the Leafs get back would far exceed the risk of losing 2 young lesser unknowns.

Not one mention of Bernier, Frattin, Scrivens, or the draft choice in this post. I understand the importance of your wisdom, but perhaps it best communicated in a more appropriate thread.

Though I suppose I should be thankful Grabovski wasn't mentioned. :D

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
I don't think either of them project to be lights out players, but I'm also not huge on Bernier and this is still a pretty confusing asset management effort

Bernier at least has the potential to become an elite player, neither Frattin nor Scrivens do, despite being decent pieces. The potential loss if Bernier is a bust isn't too high, basically a 2nd round pick and Frattin, but if he and Reimer play to a Varlamov level, the return on one of them would be well worth the risk taken.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Good deal for both teams. Frattin is an up and coming decent 3rd line winger with some speed and a nice shot, and Scrivens still gives them a decent backup to Quick or a great AHL tender.

Leafs solidify their goaltending position since they had JSG and Reimer backing him up, and potentially have a deadly tandem and Jennings Trophy finalists with Reimer and Bernier.

A rare good trade for both teams.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
Hey, sometimes you gotta take a chance. Put yourself in Nonis shoes. Is Reimer a legit #1 or will he fade away like leighton? These guys go through a ton of scenarios and they couldn't pass up an opportunity like this. Young talented goalie like him will be hungry and I'm sure in time will take the #1 position.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Kings fan just popping in to say you guys are going to love Bernier. He has a great attitude in the locker room and you can tell he's a team first kind of player. He's wanted his shot to be a #1 ever since he joined our organization and i'm extremely happy he will get that opportunity with the Leafs. I'm happy with the trade overall, I think we got a special player in Frattin, seems to be exactly the type of player our system was built around: hard hitting, grinding, heart, and determination. Definitely a win/win trade if you ask me.

I've never really had a "#2" team to root for, but I do now.

Enjoy him guys!

I know you are just giving us your blessing but to say he will get an opportunity with the Leafs to start is just silly. Reimer was unbelievable last year in the playoffs and regular season. He has to uproot him 1st to become the starter. It's going to be great to see 2 young talented goalies push each other to become better.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
There you have it Leaf fans. So can you homers who hate this deal please calm down? we got a guy who is possibly on par with JQ for what? a 25 year old who has yet to solidify his spot, a back up goalie, and a 2nd rounder in the draft of our choice. None of these pieces were going to be used to get that highly coveted #2D or #1C nor were they pieces that would replace those that would leave. This really is a something out of nothing. Carter Ashton, Rad Boss, and Jerry D'amigo are coming up soon (not to mention Mckegg, Biggs, Leivo) 2/3/4th line wingers with grit and finish is one thing our cupboard is full of already, and can be filled short term via FA

Cuz "Fatty" the Kings fan is the definitive word on NHL goaltending. :shakehead

Jeffler

See You At Game 3
Dec 7, 2006
North York
theleafsnation.com
Just to clairfy, I didn't know he was a poster here... I was flaming Twitter Jeffler :)

2z87pfl.gif

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Yes I know you guys are the same person, I just didn't know you had an account on here... so technically the post is "infraction worthy" as you pointed out on Twitter.

and Yes, I am a follow of yours

Oh Snap

Very Wet Island
Jan 21, 2008
California, USA
I know you are just giving us your blessing but to say he will get an opportunity with the Leafs to start is just silly. Reimer was unbelievable last year in the playoffs and regular season. He has to uproot him 1st to become the starter. It's going to be great to see 2 young talented goalies push each other to become better.

Absolutely it's going to be great to see them push each other. All I can say is just hold off the "silly" response until you see him play, or at least until training camp so you can understand where i'm coming from. The amount of poise JB has in net is pretty incredible.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/25609/leafs-get-the-real-deal-in-bernier

Like the Kings, I’m extremely high on Bernier. I think he’s got star No. 1 written all over him. He’ll have to fight for his starts with James Reimer, but that’s a healthy competition. The Leafs’ front office was just never totally comfortable giving the keys to the kingdom solely to Reimer. Now they feel they’ve doubled their bets.

A good gamble, Ranford said.

"I don’t think he’s any different than Quickie, I think he can prove to a lot of people that he’s a legitimate No. 1 goalie for a long time in this league," said Ranford. "He’s a very fit individual, he’s very passionate about this position. The one thing about his game is that there’s not a lot of maintenance that needs to be done to his game. It’s just little tweaks here and there throughout the season. He’s just a real quality guy and teammate and he wants to be a No. 1, and that’s the big thing."

Bernier really opened eyes this season when he stepped in some for important games while Quick got his act together.

"It’s hard to say, but in lot of our minds, if it wasn’t for Jo (Bernier), we would have maybe had a tough time making the playoffs," said Ranford. "There would have been a bigger push (needed) down the stretch if it wasn’t for the way he played."

kesleaf

Mar 3, 2011
this is..AMAZING!!!!!

Think of it this way:

Bernier is Rask who was overshadowed by Quick aka Timmy Thomas.

Rask got his chance to be #1...everyone finally saw what he can do.

Bernier will get his chance to be #1...everyone will see what he can do :handclap:

Frattin was nothing special. Solid 3rd line winger, easily replaceable. Scrivens wasn't that great either. I wish both of them the best of luck in LA but Leaf fans should not really think of them as a loss.

In the end, Nonis won this trade EASILY.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The Leafs "gave up a lot of shots from 30 feet out" because teams TOOK shots from 30 feet out WAY more against Toronto because THEY HAD THE GOALIE WITH THE WORST REBOUND CONTROL IN THE LEAGUE IN THE NET. It wasn't that other teams did a better job of "taking away" those far-out chances, its that teams didn't attempt them at nearly the volume they did against the Leafs, for obvious reasons.

Against an NHL goaltender, a 30 foot shot is pretty undesireable as a scoring chance because its very rarely going to go in and even more rarely will it result in anything other then the goalie either freezing the puck then playing it to a teammate or steering the rebound into the corner or open ice, essentially turning the "scoring chance" into a change of possession. But with Reimer, he mysteriously couldn't catch the puck or he somehow managed to create rebounds and dangerous ones on an alarming amount of those low percentage chances. That, right there, is why the Leafs GM felt it neccessary to make this move.

The Reimer fan boys can scratch their heads and be perplexed about this deal, and they can continue to pretend that the Leafs didn't have any goaltending issues, but what I just explained is exactly why they were kicking the tires on Miikka Kiprussoff, its exactly how they blew Game 7 against Boston (in a game where Riemer otherwise played great) and it's exactly why Bernier is now a Leaf.

Great post. It was so obvious that Boston employed this strategy against us in order to exploit Reimer's weaknesses, and it worked, despite the fact that we were the better team in that series. Boston scored several weak goals on Reimer, and several more off of terrible rebounds. Meanwhile, we had to make a near perfect play on almost every goal we scored on Rask. If we had solid, consistent goaltending, we would have beaten Boston easily.

This is a deal that had to be made. Kudos to Nonis for not overpaying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad