LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I think he'll still find a way into the first round of the draft on talent alone. Lots of hockey still left this season.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
He will go first round
the problem is Hockey Canada
giving ( xcept for McD) out exceptional status again to players who are not necessarily exceptional

so if HC gave them the " tag" all your comments are based on that ....

so give it a rest

Tavares, Ekblad , and McDavid have all done exceptional things since being granted the "label" you speak of, so even if Day isn't on track I would like to think 3/4 isn't so bad.

The fact that Day went 4th overall into the OHL should have immediately separated him from the other 3 who all went 1st overall. We will have to wait and see hoe Veleno progresses over the next 3 years but he was also drafted 1st overall like the other 3 not 4th like Day and is off to a strong start in the Q.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
He will go first round
the problem is Hockey Canada
giving ( xcept for McD) out exceptional status again to players who are not necessarily exceptional

so if HC gave them the " tag" all your comments are based on that ....

so give it a rest

Who, prior to Day, did HC give EC to who wasn't exceptional? Tavares and Ekblad were both 1OA NHL picks and OHL rookie of the year in their 1st year in the league. Veleno it's too early to determine (although he's been fine so far).

I don't think it's a guarantee Day goes in the first round. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the second. His lack of hockey iq is glaring.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
It's funny. Before he was drafted in the OHL, the hype was all about his skating ability, and hardly anything else.

Don't know if he was ever really meant to be great.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
funny..as it relates to DAY.....constant harking by the HF board couch scouts
but the other recent (keeping McD out) exceptionals get a pass .....and " we will see"

again the problem is not Day

its hockey Canada

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I think he'll still find a way into the first round of the draft on talent alone. Lots of hockey still left this season.

I'd be absolutely shocked if he didn't. Way too high of a ceiling to fall out of the first round. Even if the floor is low.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
funny..as it relates to DAY.....constant harking by the HF board couch scouts
but the other recent (keeping McD out) exceptionals get a pass .....and " we will see"

again the problem is not Day

its hockey Canada

How are either of Ekblad or Tavares getting a pass? Unless you're talking about Veleno - and 13 games into his QMJHL career, there isn't anything to complain about.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
Hope he drops to the second round so Toronto can grab him. So much potential, just can't seem to perform on a consistent basis.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
How are either of Ekblad or Tavares getting a pass? Unless you're talking about Veleno - and 13 games into his QMJHL career, there isn't anything to complain about.

imo...ekblad/day/stamkos should not have had exceptional status...for veleno the jury is still way out there

if dont agree
then while they where at it....why not add drew doughty and McKinnon etc,...as exceptionals also ?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
imo...ekblad/day/stamkos should not have had exceptional status...for veleno the jury is still way out there

if dont agree
then while they where at it....why not add drew doughty and McKinnon etc,...as exceptionals also ?

Stamkos did not receive exceptional status. As far as Ekblad goes, after getting EC, he was picked first in the OHL draft, was the OHL rookie of the year in his first season, and went 1st in the NHL draft. What else are you looking for?

I don't understand your reference to Doughty and McKinnon. Neither sought EC.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014

if dont agree

Stamkos was not granted exceptional status, nor did he even apply. Had the rule been as prevalent as it is now maybe MacKinnon would have applied, but Doughty wasn't even the best player in his age group at 15, that was seen as Logan Couture who fell in the draft after Tavares was granted the status went #1.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Article on Day being a polarizing prospect from yahoo:

Sean Day still trying to convince NHL scouts he's the real deal

I'm surprised there are some scouts who don't think he'll be drafted at all. If he weren't I would be stunned.

I'm not surprised.

Of course he'll be drafted, likely very high, but that's the beauty of scouting. Everyone has different opinions.

There were multiple teams that had Angelo Esposito and Rob Schremp on their 'No-Draft' lists.

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
Is it wierd that this situation reminds me of Nick Ebert (Not that Day would drop that far) But I remember at the beginning of the year Ebert being touted as a top 10 pick and he was the last player drafted that year....

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
How did this guy get exceptional status? not get drafted 1OA, and not be in question as a top end pick his draft year?

Have a feeling someone with a second dip in the 1st round will take a flyer on him. Seems like the type of player we will look back on and wonder why we didn't take him.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Good read in an article from McKenzie today about 3 young players with question marks (Skinner, Dal Colle, Day):

http://www.tsn.ca/a-trio-of-talented-players-trying-to-find-their-way-1.387997

SEAN DAY

Sean Day was granted "exceptional" status – following in the footsteps of John Tavares, Aaron Ekblad and Connor McDavid – to play in the OHL as a 15-year-old.

Now that it's his NHL draft year – Day turns 18 on Jan. 9 – Day has been afforded "exceptionally interesting" status by the scouts who turn out in droves to watch him and his (draft eligible) talent-laden Mississauga Steelheads team.

"I'd like to get all the scouts in one room and hear what they have to say about (Day) because I really think you would get everything from A to Z on this kid," an NHL team head scout said. "He's the most interesting prospect we've seen in a long time."

"NHL size, NHL skater, NHL passer, NHL shooter, limited hockey sense," one scout said of Sean Day.

What's become clear is that in Day's case, the "exceptional" status bestowed on him has effectively expired. That is, in this instance, as opposed to those of Tavares, Ekblad and McDavid, Day isn't going to be first overall in his NHL draft year. He wasn't even first overall – he went fourth to Mississauga – in his OHL draft year.

Mind you, as the young man himself has noted, the technical definition of "exceptional" is whether a 15 year old is suited to play junior hockey a year earlier than normal. Day accomplished that. He's not going to fare well in comparisons to NHL No. 1 overall picks Tavares, Ekblad and McDavid, who have continued to be exceptional in every sense of the word.

Fair enough, but the 6-foot-3, 230-pound (that's his height and weight from the Steelheads' website) defenceman remains exceptionally interesting.

He showed up to Hockey Canada's Under-18 camp this past summer weighing 248 pounds. He did not earn a spot on Canada's roster for the Ivan Hlinka tourney, virtually unheard of for a seemingly high-end prospect. But he's also one of the most powerful and gifted skaters ever seen in any draft year.

On any given night, when NHL scouts show up to see elite Top 10 draft talent on the Steelheads (Michael McLeod and Alex Nylander), Day alternately wows them and terrifies them, often on the same shift.

Here's a sampling of the scouts' comments:

"NHL size, NHL skater, NHL passer, NHL shooter, limited hockey sense," one said.

"He skates so well, passes the puck like a pro, he has so much poise, there is a lot to like," said another scout. "There's also lot not to like. Is he in shape? Probably not. Does he lack urgency in his game? Yes. I'd really like to put this kid under the microscope to see what makes him tick. He's only 17 years old."

"Incredible tools," a third scout said. "He can make the game look easy and then makes it incredibly difficult. Horrible body language when not used the way he wants to be. Does he love the game? Lots of questions but he has NHL assets galore."

It's far too early to say when Day will be drafted. Some scouts have already said they wouldn't take him at all – too many red flags – but a flash poll of scouts puts Day's early-season consensus in the 20 to 40 range. That is, gifted enough to be a first-round pick but far from being a lock to go in the top 30.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
I hope the Wings take a gamble on him. Seems like the classic boom or bust prospect.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
Good read in an article from McKenzie today about 3 young players with question marks (Skinner, Dal Colle, Day):

http://www.tsn.ca/a-trio-of-talented-players-trying-to-find-their-way-1.387997

Him showing up at a tryout weighing 248 lb and ''probably not being in shape'' seems like a pretty big red flag when you consider this is his draft year and you would think this is going to be as motivated as he's ever going to be (I could definitely wrong about that). Is this unusual considering this guy has probably been groomed for the NHL from a young age and now it seems like he's basically blowing it at the last second? (if just not being in top condition is really holding him back) Who is comparable to at this point?

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
Him showing up at a tryout weighing 248 lb and ''probably not being in shape'' seems like a pretty big red flag when you consider this is his draft year and you would think this is going to be as motivated as he's ever going to be (I could definitely wrong about that). Is this unusual considering this guy has probably been groomed for the NHL from a young age and now it seems like he's basically blowing it at the last second? (if just not being in top condition is really holding him back) Who is comparable to at this point?

Anyone who sabotages themselves this bad is basically afraid and not confident. Not just a huge red flad, but 'the' red flag I would use to pass and move on to someone else.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Anyone who sabotages themselves this bad is basically afraid and not confident. Not just a huge red flad, but 'the' red flag I would use to pass and move on to someone else.

or maybe he just doesnt want to be drafted by the Oilers. :D
<joke>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad