LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

savard95

May 9, 2014
Montréal
To me, to be an ES player, you should be able to thrive in the league... Day along with Veleno in my opinion should never have received this status. Day is proving that to be the case, Veleno still has time..

If you don't have a high maturity level, than you should never receive the status. That is a big issue with this in my opinion, if they didn't consider him to be mature enough.

It does however make me wonder, how would Day be viewed if he didn't receive exceptional status? Surely it wouldn't be the same as it is now, but is he looked at as a potential first round pick, who has a lot of upside or more of a mid-round project that a team takes a shot on?

The EP status is probably both hurting and helping him.. people still hold him in high regard because of what he once was deemed. But at the same time they're labelling him as a bust at 17 years old because of that same status.

Veleno has 16 points in 22 games as a 15 years old playing on the 3rd line. Deserves it fully.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
I think you have to wait a few years and see where he goes in his NHL draft before saying he deserved it.

Hardly.

The exceptional player status isn't meant to project NHL success. It's meant to judge if a 15-year old is apt to keep up with junior-aged players. If Veleno scores 70 points this year and turns into a bust come NHL time, he's still totally worth exceptional player status.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I think you have to wait a few years and see where he goes in his NHL draft before saying he deserved it.

Hardly.

The exceptional player status isn't meant to project NHL success. It's meant to judge if a 15-year old is apt to keep up with junior-aged players. If Veleno scores 70 points this year and turns into a bust come NHL time, he's still totally worth exceptional player status.

In a nutshell, that is exactly what most fans completely misunderstand about the "exceptional status" tag.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
In a nutshell, that is exactly what most fans completely misunderstand about the "exceptional status" tag.
Yep, being an elite NHLer just usually seems to be the product of being this good at that age. Mainly this was implemented to allow 15 year olds to play in the CHL to replace the old system (may of been OHL only) that allowed elite 15 year olds to play for their local OHL teams prior to the draft (see Spezza and Rico Fata). Day was clearly physically able to play in the OHL at 15, but possibly didn't have the mentality. Hopefully their is more emphasis on this going forward but it is a very hard thing to measure. As you can tell with McDavid and Tavares both combined dedication and a seriousness that was rare for anyone let alone a 15 year old, can't comment defintivly on Ekblad but he seems to have this trait also.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015

If you are 6' 4'' defencemen who's good enough to play in the CHL at 15 or a 15 year old forward who can score 70 points, be prepared for some criticism if you don't become a good NHL player. It really has absolutly nothIng to do with people not understanding the exceptional player rule. It's not like playing Peewee a year early, you should realize there's going to be a target in your back when you fill out that application.

Last edited:

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I know that Veleno has 16 points in 22 games, but in the games I saw him in he was real quiet against some weak teams. He showed flashes that proved he belonged in the CHL (no question he is good enough) but there are 15 year olds every year that are good enough to play in the CHL. I don't think we should go handing out exceptional status to every 15 year old who shows that ability.

Tavares more than proved he belonged in the CHL when he applied, Aaron Ekblad same deal. Connor McDavid was obviously a no brainer. Sean Day not so much in my opinion, he more than held his own as a 15 year old (but again I don't believe that is how it should be evaluated). Veleno again showed he belonged, but did he make me believe he was a no brainer to be an exceptional player? No.

Tavares, Ekblad, McDavid, all showed me in their first year that they truly were exceptional..Day not so much. Veleno so far, not so much. Not to say Veleno can't show me that by the end of the season but in my viewings he hasn't been.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Even with his issues I would hope that my team would take a flyer on Day in the second round if he was still available. The package of size and skating is too tempting. There is no reason that he couldn't become at the very least a dominant defensive defenceman in the right NHL environment.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
If you are 6' 4'' defencemen who's good enough to play in the CHL at 15 or a 15 year old forward who can score 70 points, be prepared for some criticism if you don't become a good NHL player. It really has absolutly nothIng to do with people not understanding the exceptional player rule. It's not like playing Peewee a year early, you should realize there's going to be a target in your back when you fill out that application.

Yes, it really does.

It has nothing to do with whether or not Day should be immune from criticism so I have no idea where you're getting that from. It's the fact that being awarded exceptional status is not, and was never intended to be, a predictor of future NHL success (or draft position, like the quoted poster said).

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Even with his issues I would hope that my team would take a flyer on Day in the second round if he was still available. The package of size and skating is too tempting. There is no reason that he couldn't become at the very least a dominant defensive defenceman in the right NHL environment.
There is absolutely a reason why he couldn't do that. He's not a smart hockey player. His size and skating are useless when he doesn't know how to use them

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009

He could technically play for USA now. TBH I hope he does, Hockey Canada hasn't been very good to him since granting him ES

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Day is painfully obvious that he is American. I mean he retweets stuff about USA Hockey for this WJC, retweets other stuff for USA Hockey and says happy Veterans Day instead of Remembrance Day..

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Day is painfully obvious that he is American. I mean he retweets stuff about USA Hockey for this WJC, retweets other stuff for USA Hockey and says happy Veterans Day instead of Remembrance Day..

Of course he's American. The United States is where he was raised. You cannot be Canadian if you're raised in the United States, regardless of what citizenship papers say. Hope he gets the chance to represent the country he comes from.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
So how has Hockey Canada not been very nice to him?

Why does everyone have to change the wording in my post :laugh:

I'll answer your question with a question, what good has happened to Day since Hockey Canada showed interest in him & gave him ES?

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
would day even be eligible to represent the US at the world juniors going forward? hes been playing in the CHL for years..

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Don't you need to play two full seasons in the country you want to represent prior to an IIHF event to represent that country or something like that?

edit: Looked it up.

Acquiring a new national eligibility (The ‘two-year’ case)
When a player has changed his citizenship or has acquired another citizenship and wants to participate for the first time in an IIHF competition representing his new country he must:

-Prove that he has participated for at least two consecutive hockey seasons and 16 consecutive months (480 days) in the national competitions of his new country after his 10th birthday during which period he has neither transferred to another country nor played ice hockey within any other country. Female players need to have participated on a consistent basis for at least one hockey season and have been member of the new national association for at least 12 consecutive months during that period.

-Have an international transfer card (ITC) that shows the transfer to the national association of his new country and which was approved and dated at least 16 months (480 days) before the start of the IIHF competition in which he wishes to participate.

Change of national eligibility (The ‘four-year’ case)
A player, who has previously participated in IIHF competition, can switch national eligibility (but only once in a player's life) if:

-He is a citizen of the new country of his choice

-He has participated for at least four consecutive years (1460 days) in the national competitions of his new country, during which period he has neither transferred to another country nor played ice hockey within any other country and has not played for his previous country in an IIHF competition during this four year period.

-He has an international transfer card (ITC) that shows the transfer to the national association of his new country and which was approved and dated at least four years before the start of the IIHF competition in which he wishes to participate.

I believe the "two-year case" would apply to Day as the U17s aren't sanctioned by the IIHF.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Don't you need to play two full seasons in the country you want to represent prior to an IIHF event to represent that country or something like that?

edit: Looked it up.

I believe the "four-year case" would apply to Day as he's played for Canada at the U17s.

It's two full seasons after 10th birthday. Day could play for either country without issue.

The U17s don't apply. It's not an IIHF tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad