LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
About him weighing in at 247 pounds. Apparently one of the reasons he was cut from Hlinka was because he was out of shape.

Before camp Jankowski said he was happy to hear Day changed trainers during the summer. Said Day could have easily cut weight before that. Guessing he wasn't happy with what he saw there. Probably one of the reasons you couldn't notice Day in any of the games.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Exceptional status has become a lot less exceptional.

He was IIRC the first "exceptional" player to not be chosen first overall in his respective league as well.

Then again, Hockey Canada allowed Joey Veleno to get "exceptional status" and his numbers weren't exactly earth shattering so maybe they're lowering their standards:laugh:

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
Looks like an early developer, as someone posted earlier in this thread one of his coaches were worried about that.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
He was IIRC the first "exceptional" player to not be chosen first overall in his respective league as well.

Then again, Hockey Canada allowed Joey Veleno to get "exceptional status" and his numbers weren't exactly earth shattering so maybe they're lowering their standards:laugh:

McFarland was denied exceptional status and I doubt he makes the NHL. Exceptional status needs to be reserved for the absolute best, like McDavid and Tavares.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy

The league Veleno played in is a lot stronger than the usual minor midget leagues 15 year olds play across Canada. Drouin put up 1.53 PPG and was a year older than Veleno as an example.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
McFarland was denied exceptional status and I doubt he makes the NHL. Exceptional status needs to be reserved for the absolute best, like McDavid and Tavares.
Didn't Ho-Sang also get denied. I think its much tougher to evaluate defenders worthy of exceptional status but I think Ekblad proved worthy of it.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Didn't Ho-Sang also get denied. I think its much tougher to evaluate defenders worthy of exceptional status but I think Ekblad proved worthy of it.

Ho-Sang did not apply although some debated that he should have applied (and subsequently been accepted) instead of Ekblad.

Hockey got it right in that case.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Ho-Sang did not apply although some debated that he should have applied (and subsequently been accepted) instead of Ekblad.

Hockey got it right in that case.

I remember people claiming that about him - but didn't he spend a lot of 10/11 playing bantam. I know he played some minor midget - but i recall he was with the 96s a lot of the time. :dunno:

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
hockey canada posts this on same day he gets cut ?

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/news/sean-day-is-a-travelling-man

HC not going to be giving out those ES as easy anymore.....:shakehead

“Every other day you’re basically flying to a new place to play games,†he says. “I’ve travelled so much that I think I’m kind of used to it. Even car rides or bus rides help with that, where you’re used to that jet-lagged feeling.â€

there's a realistic view of elite hockey these days ...

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Day had a pair of goals in Mississauga's second game of the preseason yesterday. They were shutout previously in their opener on Sunday.
It took a lucky bounce for Mississauga to get their first goal by Nichols.

While killing a penalty, Day scored his first of the afternoon when he cleared the puck from his own zone. The puck took an odd bounce off the glass and redirected into an open net after Nichols had left his net to play what should have been a routine play to recover an iced puck into the corner boards.
With a five-on-three power play, Day potted his second of the game when he rifled a shot under the glove of Nichols. The goal knotted the score at two with 2:44 remaining in the middle frame.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
Day had a pair of goals in Mississauga's second game of the preseason yesterday. They were shutout previously in their opener on Sunday.

I was at the game. Day didn't score the first goal he was nowhere near the puck. He appeared to tell the ref after the play that he shot the puck. Team guy

WhoisJohnGalt

Sep 9, 2013
Toronto
I was at the game. Day didn't score the first goal he was nowhere near the puck. He appeared to tell the ref after the play that he shot the puck. Team guy

Day chipped the puck up to Bastian who shot it down the ice for the goal. Bastian is 14 - Day is 4. More likely the refs simply didn't look too hard at the shooter, saw the 4 and made a mistake. Second mistake is they said it was unassisted so I think the lazy ref theory works better.

Why would anyone one try to take credit for a goal that does not get registered or count toward anything in anyway? Who cares

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Day chipped the puck up to Bastian who shot it down the ice for the goal. Bastian is 14 - Day is 4. More likely the refs simply didn't look too hard at the shooter, saw the 4 and made a mistake. Second mistake is they said it was unassisted so I think the lazy ref theory works better.

Why would anyone one try to take credit for a goal that does not get registered or count toward anything in anyway? Who cares

I was going to post but decided against it. You are bang on, more likely due to lazy ref in a meaningless preseason game.

He might have been telling the ref it was Bastian's goal. Unless the player & ref were mic'd up we'll never know haha

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Saw Sean yesterday at the Season Ticket Holder BBQ, no way is he as overweight as some has suggested. Looks to be around 215-220.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Steven Ellis Twitter -

''Sean Day is having one heck of a game. Strong in all three zones. Needs to be really effective to help boost his way up the rankings.

It's too early to make a decision on Day, obviously, but he looks quicker and more dominant than a year ago.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad