LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
He'll be the top "skater" in the OHL. Expecting a massive improvement this season, as he's had a season to adjust to the speed of the game and know exactly what he's up against. His work ethic still worries me. Hopefully it all comes together for him this season. Absolutely mouthwatering prospect.
I don't think he needed to adjust to the speed of the game. I think he wasn't given much freedom last year but will be given more this year. Last year when he wanted to go, he went. This kid skates at a Coffey Neidermayer level.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
He'll be the top "skater" in the OHL. Expecting a massive improvement this season, as he's had a season to adjust to the speed of the game and know exactly what he's up against. His work ethic still worries me. Hopefully it all comes together for him this season. Absolutely mouthwatering prospect.

I saw that massive improvement last night. His paying attention to small details in his own end has really changed, man to man coverage has improved a lot. Also he is somehow more patient and poised than he was last year, which I didn't think was possible.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Did you watch the game? How did he look? What were the goals like?

Both his goals took place when he walked in from the point, held the puck for which seems like 3 seconds and completely waited out the forward and Jeremy brodeur and then went shelf, both goals were awesome to watch

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I saw that massive improvement last night. His paying attention to small details in his own end has really changed, man to man coverage has improved a lot. Also he is somehow more patient and poised than he was last year, which I didn't think was possible.

Ye I don't think that is possible :laugh: I think what you're seeing is just a better ability to pick his spots.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Ye I don't think that is possible :laugh: I think what you're seeing is just a better ability to pick his spots.

Well ya, his decision making has improved, but it's his ability to be that patient and wait to the absolute last millisecond before shooting or waking around the D.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

Great to hear. Thanks for the update.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
5 goals and 6 assists in 11 games so far in January.

Anyone been watching?

Yep. He has some of the most beautiful wheels I've ver seen. What's keeping him from truly being dominant imo is his lack of hockey sense. He doesn't seem to evaluate risk and reward at a high level, and he is prone to making poor decisions because of it. The skill and mobility are definitely top notch though.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Didn't realize how big/heavy this kid is!

It's almost unheard of seeing an athlete at his age, being as quick/dominant at his position with that kind of frame... 6'2 - 229

His body/frame reminds me of Jack Johnson.. Any similarity in play/style? I've never watched the kid live.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
If this was his rookie season a la Jakob Chychrun, everyone would be raving about his skills and skating.

He's still a very good prospect, but he wasn't ready for the OHL last year and I think that's affected how people perceive his game. The politics, not his actual play, influenced the decision-making behind his early entry into the league and it hasn't done him much good.

That being said, I would get him into a video room and just work with him for hours on end. It'll help so much with his decision-making skills.

MiniMoose

Apr 12, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
What's up with Sean Day?

He is the most recent player to receive exceptional status in the OHL but I haven't heard much about him. The previous players that received the exceptional status are all great players in the NHL or about to with McDavid making the jump this Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad