LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Speaks to the depth at this juncture. We see it every year. The following draft always looks deep at first, but when the spotlight is on and we have a year to focus and dissect, things start to look iffy. We will see how these guys perform. As an offhand example, Hanifin is looking like a stud right now. So did Nick Ebert. For the two years prior to his draft season, all I heard was that he was a surefire top 5 pick who would become a top pairing player. He was the very last pick in his draft.

eh I donno, the 2014 draft looked weak 2 years before it happened :laugh:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
eh I donno, the 2014 draft looked weak 2 years before it happened :laugh:

Really? As I remember it, Ekblad was supposed to be a stud and Nylander was expected to be an offensively force contending for first overall. There was definitely hype about this draft a couple years ago.

Bridgeman

Mar 1, 2013
Tampa FL
Speaks to the depth at this juncture. We see it every year. The following draft always looks deep at first, but when the spotlight is on and we have a year to focus and dissect, things start to look iffy. We will see how these guys perform. As an offhand example, Hanifin is looking like a stud right now. So did Nick Ebert. For the two years prior to his draft season, all I heard was that he was a surefire top 5 pick who would become a top pairing player. He was the very last pick in his draft.

Trust me Noah Hanifin is no Nick Ebert! ....

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Not so. The 2014 draft has rightly been hearlded as a shallow draft. 2013 and 2015 as very deep. 2016 looks to be shaping up as a fairly average draft. 2012, 2011 are also largely seen as average.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Sean Day is such a beast, watching him at the camp you know why he got exceptional player status. He's better than anybody else at his age group, he's faster, smarter, more skilled. He could go coast to coast and make it look so easy because his skating and IQ of the game of hockey is unreal. He can make tape to tape passes from anywhere on the ice no matter how far on the ice, he's also big and can make big hits.

I don't know how he doesn't go #1 at this point.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Sean Day is such a beast, watching him at the camp you know why he got exceptional player status. He's better than anybody else at his age group, he's faster, smarter, more skilled. He could go coast to coast and make it look so easy because his skating and IQ of the game of hockey is unreal. He can make tape to tape passes from anywhere on the ice no matter how far on the ice, he's also big and can make big hits.

Because he's not a hybrid of Orr, Lindström and Pronger. Also due the fact there are other same tier players out there. And finally, because the draft isn't happening tomorrow.

You might want to look into this: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1705741

Seems pretty even between the 3. Day's been having as much hype as the rest of the 2016 draftees put together. Some say Chychrun is actually better than him at the moment and a year from now no one even knew who Laine is/was (apart from the Finns).

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

How many times you have seen Patrik Laine to make such statement? It's different to dominate against player of your age than older competition. Laine crushed many records playing against players who can be 5 years older than him. Was in top 5 in goal scoring against U20 players as 15 year old. That's not all, he did the same internationally. Scoring 12 goals and 17 points in 7 games against older competition. That includes hattrick against elite team USA U17 team. That team allowed only 4 goals total in U17 world hockey challenge. Laine made that defense look silly as a underager. I won't say that Laine will go ahead of Day at the draft but Day haven't done anything special to be ahead of Laine at this point.

Last edited:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

Jumping the gun on that assessment. I'm still not convinced he goes Top 5. He has to show a lot of progress this year.

And I do believe the Finn gets the #1 spot for now.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
How many times you have seen Patrik Laine to make such statement? It's different to dominate against player of your age than older competition. Laine crushed many records playing against players who can be 5 year older than him. Was in top 5 in goal scoring against U20 players as 15 year old. That is not all, he did the same internationally. Scoring 12 goals and 17 points in 7 games against older competition. That includes hattrick against elite team USA U17 team. That team allowed only 4 goals total in U17 world hockey challenge. Laine made that defense look silly as a underager. I won't say that Laine will go ahead of Day at the draft but Day haven't done anything special to be ahead of Laine at this point.

[/B]

Jumping the gun on that assessment. I'm still not convinced he goes Top 5. He has to show a lot of progress this year.

And I do believe the Finn gets the #1 spot for now.
The only other players to have gotten exceptional player status to the OHL were 1st overall picks and a future one in McDavid. That alone should tell you he is in a category of great players, Laine has done well but which tournament did he get those international points? Tried checking the U17 Hockey Challenge but it wasn't that either. Exhibition?

He sounds impressive, it's hard to tell but right now Day got exceptional player status that puts him with other 1st overall picks which makes it hard to bet that he won't go #1.

Day played on the worst team in his divison and one of the worst in the OHL, they just drafted a #1 pick. They were obviously a bad team and I think that was alot of the reason why his stats don't look good.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Day looked totally lost last year. I'm convinced you haven't seen him play. And the fact that he was granted exceptional status doesn't mean much. Heck, he went fourth in the OHL draft.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Day looked totally lost last year. I'm convinced you haven't seen him play. And the fact that he was granted exceptional status doesn't mean much. Heck, he went fourth in the OHL draft.
What did you expect out of a 15 year at the OHL level?

He has top NHL defenceman written all over him, the skating, patience, offensive skills, size, hockey IQ. He has skills players aren't born with, at the camp he absolutely dominated every shift. His teammates wanted to give him the puck because they knew good things were gonna happen.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
The only other players to have gotten exceptional player status to the OHL were 1st overall picks and a future one in McDavid. That alone should tell you he is in a category of great players, Laine has done well but which tournament did he get those international points? Tried checking the U17 Hockey Challenge but it wasn't that either. Exhibition?

He sounds impressive, it's hard to tell but right now Day got exceptional player status that puts him with other 1st overall picks which makes it hard to bet that he won't go #1.

Day played on the worst team in his divison and one of the worst in the OHL, they just drafted a #1 pick. They were obviously a bad team and I think that was alot of the reason why his stats don't look good.

Ya, I don't agree with HC's decision on that one. I don't have to swallow every line of BS emanating out of the HC office. In a lot of ways the bureaucrats at HC don't know their ass from their elbow or a hockey puck from a cheese sandwich.

He may very well become what you think he'll become, but so far I'm not convinced... we'll see how it goes this year.

Last edited:

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

It was at U17 5 nation tournament at sundvall where the players were competing for U18 spots. Usa had excactly the same team at U17 world hockey challenge. Laine had 8g 11points in that tournament and won the scoring title. We can compare him to other potential top 2016 draftee Auston Matthews who had 1g 7points in that tournament. Laine was obviously also one of the youngest players in that tournament.

You can't punish Laine for not being canadian because we never know that would he be granted exceptional status. Laine has been okay? He has been exceptional. Hard to know other 2016 draftee who has been as impressive against older competition in international games not to forget his record breaking run at the U20 league in Finland. Exceptional status means nothing at this point all that matters is the play before the draft. At this point I want to see Day to dominate like Laine against older competition to put him ahead of Laine and with the word dominate i mean dominating and not just playing well against older competition.

Every player who has been granted exceptional status have been #1 OHL draft picks too except for Day who was #4.

Last edited:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
It was at U17 5 nation tournament at sundvall where the players were competing for U18 spots. Usa had excactly the same team at U17 world hockey challenge. Laine had 8g 11points in that tournament and won the scoring title. We can compare him to other potential top 2016 draftee Auston Matthews who had 1g 7points in that tournament. Laine was obviously also one of the youngest players in that tournament.

You can't punish Laine for not being canadian because we never know that would he be granted exceptional status. Laine has been okay? He has been exceptional. Hard to know other 2016 draftee who has been as impressive against older competition in international games not to forget his record breaking run at the U20 league in Finland. Exceptional status means nothing at this point all that matters is the play before the draft. At this point I want to see Day to dominate like Laine against older competition to put him ahead of Laine and with the word dominate i mean dominating and not just playing well against older competition.

Every player who has been granted exceptional status have been #1 OHL draft picks too except for Day who was #4.
Well that is very impressive and should definitely a top 5 pick. Patrick Laine sounds like a great prospect, he's big, skilled. Don't know enough about him to explain more.

Laine plays in a Finnish league, I don't know where the Finland U20s are compared to the OHL but I would have them lower in quality of players. I think Laine wouldn't be as near impressive in the OHL as he did in the Finnish League. The Fins have a great system no doubt but it's hard to compare league to league, I don't think you should think that if Day doesn't go PPG next season or isn't on the level of Laine stat wise that it means Laine is clearly better because of the league competition. OHL and the U20s for Finland have the same ages playing so the physicality level should be around the same.

Sure he didn't go #1 and exceptional status doesn't technically mean anything but players who got the status are 1st overalls and NHLers likely. He didn't go first overall but the player status should mean enough that he has high skill level written all over him.

It's early to judge but I think Day with the achivements and league competitiom makes him a better choice and a better player.

But those stats of Laine are impressive at 16.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Well that is very impressive and should definitely a top 5 pick. Patrick Laine sounds like a great prospect, he's big, skilled. Don't know enough about him to explain more.

Laine plays in a Finnish league, I don't know where the Finland U20s are compared to the OHL but I would have them lower in quality of players. I think Laine wouldn't be as near impressive in the OHL as he did in the Finnish League. The Fins have a great system no doubt but it's hard to compare league to league, I don't think you should think that if Day doesn't go PPG next season or isn't on the level of Laine stat wise that it means Laine is clearly better because of the league competition. OHL and the U20s for Finland have the same ages playing so the physicality level should be around the same.

Sure he didn't go #1 and exceptional status doesn't technically mean anything but players who got the status are 1st overalls and NHLers likely. He didn't go first overall but the player status should mean enough that he has high skill level written all over him.

It's early to judge but I think Day with the achivements and league competitiom makes him a better choice and a better player.

How can you compare a player against another after first admitting having insight on only one of them? If that's not contradicting, then nothing is I suppose. You can't judge a book by it's cover anymore than a hockey player based on looking at his stats alone. Atleast not while keeping straight face and credibility by doing so. Sometimes just can't believe what I'm reading here.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009

^Spoken like someone who only looked at his +/-

He was one of the few players on Mississauga that didn't look lost.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

OHL is way better developement league than top U20 in finland no question about it. We should not compare their stats especially when they play different position but Laine broke alot of the records for 15 year old player in that league and he was dominant internationally against older players. We can only compare european and NA prospects at international tournaments. Laine has been exceptional at the international tournaments so far and it's hard to think that anyone would be ahead him at this point.

aef1400

Mar 20, 2013
The camp over the last week was the first time I've ever seen Day play live. Only ever seen videos previously.

His skating is on a completely different level and I would argue he'll be the best skater (if not, one of the best) in the OHL this upcoming season as a 16 year old. Such an effortless stride and could quite literally go end to end every possession if he wanted to.

The other thing I noticed was his poise with the puck. Not sure if its because he knows he can outskate everyone, but he was always so calm with the puck and for the most part made positive plays.

Seems to have a very high offensive IQ, and seems to be very confident with the puck on his stick. From a defensive standpoint, nothing stood out too much for me. Didn't look bad, but didn't look as engaged as when he has the puck on his stick.

Has all the offensive tools in the world, if he works on the defensive aspects of his game like positioning, and being more physical, he will be an absolute stud of a D man. He still has a few more good development years to work on his weaknesses as does every other 16 year old dman.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
The camp over the last week was the first time I've ever seen Day play live. Only ever seen videos previously.

His skating is on a completely different level and I would argue he'll be the best skater (if not, one of the best) in the OHL this upcoming season as a 16 year old. Such an effortless stride and could quite literally go end to end every possession if he wanted to.

The other thing I noticed was his poise with the puck. Not sure if its because he knows he can outskate everyone, but he was always so calm with the puck and for the most part made positive plays.

Seems to have a very high offensive IQ, and seems to be very confident with the puck on his stick. From a defensive standpoint, nothing stood out too much for me. Didn't look bad, but didn't look as engaged as when he has the puck on his stick.

Has all the offensive tools in the world, if he works on the defensive aspects of his game like positioning, and being more physical, he will be an absolute stud of a D man. He still has a few more good development years to work on his weaknesses as does every other 16 year old dman.

i have a keen interest in this guy since watching him play. I don't necessarily believe he has a very high offensive IQ, I don't believe he has all the offensive tools in the tool box but the rest of what you write is accurate. And yes, if he learns defense and develops that part, he will be a stud dman.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Guys the 2016 draft is still a couple years away its still way too early to a speculate as there is no clear cut number one. There are some decent forwards from Canada but no one who stands out. We will have to wait for someone to impress like Reinhart or Bennett close to the draft. I'm not convinced with Day but his cieling might be a Bouwmeester type. Laine reminds me of Corey Perry when I watched him play. Chychruns play makes me think of McDonough. Rough comparisons but have your pick of the three , Perry, Bow or McDonough.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
What do the people who've seen him so far from U17 camp/training camp/preseason expect from Day this season? How's he looking defensively, estimation points wise in your opinion, what's his ice time going to be like, what kind of Mississauga team is he playing with..etc..

Do you think he'll be one of the top skaters in the OHL this year?

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
What do the people who've seen him so far from U17 camp/training camp/preseason expect from Day this season? How's he looking defensively, estimation points wise in your opinion, what's his ice time going to be like, what kind of Mississauga team is he playing with..etc..

Do you think he'll be one of the top skaters in the OHL this year?

He'll be the top "skater" in the OHL. Expecting a massive improvement this season, as he's had a season to adjust to the speed of the game and know exactly what he's up against. His work ethic still worries me. Hopefully it all comes together for him this season. Absolutely mouthwatering prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad