LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
He did finish 2nd worst on his team in +/- while being 3rd in d-man points.

Compare that to Ekblad who finished 1st in d-man scoring while being 8th in +/-.

+/- is a stupid stat.

OHL Coaches ranked him as one of the best skaters in the league.

I'd think coaches would be a better base of talent evaluation than mere stats.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He did finish 2nd worst on his team in +/- while being 3rd in d-man points.

Compare that to Ekblad who finished 1st in d-man scoring while being 8th in +/-.

Why is Day's rookie season being compared to Ekblad's 3rd year in the league? If you want to make a comparison between the two, at least compare Day to Ekblad's rookie year.

Ekblad had 29 points and was a -5 in his rookie season. He also played on a team that finished 3rd in the Eastern Conference, scored 248 goals, and was a collective +38 as a team. Day had 16 points and was a -35, but on a team that finished 8th in the Eastern Conference, scored a paltry 167 goals, and was a collective -100.

You can't just compare their numbers straight up without taking into consideration the team they played on as rookies.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
He can skate, but can he do anything else?

I swear, that's the only positive I've heard about him, you'd think he's the second coming of Rico Fata.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Why is Day's rookie season being compared to Ekblad's 3rd year in the league? If you want to make a comparison between the two, at least compare Day to Ekblad's rookie year.

Ekblad had 29 points and was a -5 in his rookie season. He also played on a team that finished 3rd in the Eastern Conference, scored 248 goals, and was a collective +38 as a team. Day had 16 points and was a -35, but on a team that finished 8th in the Eastern Conference, scored a paltry 167 goals, and was a collective -100.

You can't just compare their numbers straight up without taking into consideration the team they played on as rookies.

My comparison was to Ekblad's rookie season.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
My comparison was to Ekblad's rookie season.

The part where you said Ekblad lead his defense in scoring threw me off, because Ryan O'Connor was the leading D-man scorer for the Colts that year.

Also, that doesn't negate the rest of what I wrote. Different circumstances. You can't expect a kid who plays on a vastly inferior team to compete, stat-wise, with a kid who plays on one of the better teams in the conference.

WhoisJohnGalt

Sep 9, 2013
Toronto
But you can expect them to compete to their team.

8th worst +- on a great team is better than 2nd worst on a bad team.

According to the Missy coaches he has the best +\- on the team since Christmas. The entire team sank like a stone on this stat in the 2nd half. Day went from -26 to -35. In the same time period Walsh went from +3 to -38. LeBlanc was + when he joined the team in the Carrick trade - he also dropped hard in the second half. The team scored the fewest goals in the league. Hard for any of these guys to not be negative when there are few even strength goals being scored

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
He can skate, but can he do anything else?

Yes.

For a 15/16 year old, he's actually quite decent at using his body and size defensively. He's already decently physical in the open ice and along the boards. He needs to get more assertive/confident in front of the net, but I think the fact that he's already initiating contact quite frequently is a plus.

He also transitions to offense so quickly and is terrific at evading the forecheck. Once he gets possession, the puck rarely stays in his own end.

The offensive confidence is what he lacks currently, in order to put up points and be more noticeable to the casual fan. He's not quite at the point where he'll take it end to end and be aggressive in jumping up in the play. He's currently content with skating the puck out of his own end, then trying to make a strong breakout pass. His shot and ability to run the point on the powerplay are also a work in progress.

I was honestly impressed with him defensively this year (in the same way I was with Ekblad in his "exceptional" year). I don't care what his +/- says.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Are people really comparing +/- from Day's rookie season to Ekblad's rookie season? Really?

Steelheads barely made the playoffs. 14 games below .500 and a -100 goal differential.

Meanwhile the Colts had 40 wins and a +38 goal differential in Ekblad's rookie season.

Come on people :shakehead

snizzbone*

Why are people even using +/-. It's not taken seriously by anyone in the NHL, why would it be in the OHL?

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
According to the Missy coaches he has the best +\- on the team since Christmas. The entire team sank like a stone on this stat in the 2nd half. Day went from -26 to -35. In the same time period Walsh went from +3 to -38. LeBlanc was + when he joined the team in the Carrick trade - he also dropped hard in the second half. The team scored the fewest goals in the league. Hard for any of these guys to not be negative when there are few even strength goals being scored

Is Mississauga looking like they'll have a stronger team next year?

Mar 12, 2009
Are people really comparing +/- from Day's rookie season to Ekblad's rookie season? Really?

Steelheads barely made the playoffs. 14 games below .500 and a -100 goal differential.

Meanwhile the Colts had 40 wins and a +38 goal differential in Ekblad's rookie season.

Come on people
:shakehead

No, it's one guy.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
Yes.

For a 15/16 year old, he's actually quite decent at using his body and size defensively. He's already decently physical in the open ice and along the boards. He needs to get more assertive/confident in front of the net, but I think the fact that he's already initiating contact quite frequently is a plus.

He also transitions to offense so quickly and is terrific at evading the forecheck. Once he gets possession, the puck rarely stays in his own end.

The offensive confidence is what he lacks currently, in order to put up points and be more noticeable to the casual fan. He's not quite at the point where he'll take it end to end and be aggressive in jumping up in the play. He's currently content with skating the puck out of his own end, then trying to make a strong breakout pass. His shot and ability to run the point on the powerplay are also a work in progress.

i

I was honestly impressed with him defensively this year (in the same way I was with Ekblad in his "exceptional" year). I don't care what his +/- says.

i only watched him in the u-17 and i agree 100% with your account.

McRib

#SoldierFields
May 2, 2014
Sean Day

If he was in the upcoming draft where do you think he would go?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Probably not very high in the first. At this moment, he's all tools. He had a rough year in the O on a poor team. He looked a bit more out of place than other exceptional. I expect he will put his size and skating together to figure out how to be an effective defenseman, but he would have to step up in a big way from last year to challenge the 2015 top ten.

That said, if he were in the upcoming draft I would expect a team in the latter half of the first round to take him just because of his excellent size and phenomenal skating. Some comparable in recent years might be Hedman and Bouwmeester who were both huge and sensational skaters, but they seemed to use those attributes more effectively than Day has thus far.

That said, I believe it was Kilrea that said Day was one of (or maybe the?) best skaters he's ever seen. Something like that, made comparisons to Paul Coffey and may have said he was the best 13 or 14 year old player he'd ever seen. And Brian Kilrea has seen a lot of great players.

Last edited:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Speaks to the depth at this juncture. We see it every year. The following draft always looks deep at first, but when the spotlight is on and we have a year to focus and dissect, things start to look iffy. We will see how these guys perform. As an offhand example, Hanifin is looking like a stud right now. So did Nick Ebert. For the two years prior to his draft season, all I heard was that he was a surefire top 5 pick who would become a top pairing player. He was the very last pick in his draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad