LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

i played against him in a couple of tournaments when he was at little caesars. he was sick. he made everyone on the ice look like pylons. even his own teammates. lol, not me tho...because i'm more skilled than he was. ha ha ha j/k, i wasn't on the ice too much against him and when i was it was my more skilled liney (honesty!) he was more interested in. it was actually kind of funny that he would kind of skate around his own teammates sometimes, he was that good.

speaking in full honestly, he's the fastest skater of anyone i can think about having played against in my life

hopefully his personality has had a make over because some of his own teammates would complain very loudly about him all the time and from what i saw he fell into "not a great guy" category. but that was back in LC...and it was probably almost 3 years ago i played him. also, it's probable that there were teammates of his that were jealous - so there's very good possibility his personality was fine. he left caesars and went to compuware. i think he played for honeybaked too.

anyway, i hope everything goes well for him, because he's a crazy awesome player.

Horvath Broncos

Aug 21, 2013
i know it's small sample size but how has he been looking so far compared to Ekblad in his first year in CHL?

does he seem like he could be first overall? because i doubt Ekblad will be picked first overall.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
i know it's small sample size but how has he been looking so far compared to Ekblad in his first year in CHL?

does he seem like he could be first overall? because i doubt Ekblad will be picked first overall.

He could definitely go 1st overall. Anyone that has seen him with some regularity knows he has the tools to be an absolute monster (insert Pierre McGuire joke here).

maplehawk

HFB Partner
i played against him in a couple of tournaments when he was at little caesars. he was sick. he made everyone on the ice look like pylons. even his own teammates. lol, not me tho...because i'm more skilled than he was. ha ha ha j/k, i wasn't on the ice too much against him and when i was it was my more skilled liney (honesty!) he was more interested in. it was actually kind of funny that he would kind of skate around his own teammates sometimes, he was that good.

speaking in full honestly, he's the fastest skater of anyone i can think about having played against in my life

hopefully his personality has had a make over because some of his own teammates would complain very loudly about him all the time and from what i saw he fell into "not a great guy" category. but that was back in LC...and it was probably almost 3 years ago i played him. also, it's probable that there were teammates of his that were jealous - so there's very good possibility his personality was fine. he left caesars and went to compuware. i think he played for honeybaked too.

anyway, i hope everything goes well for him, because he's a crazy awesome player.

he played for LC as a squirt and peewee. i think it would be completely ridiculous to make any character judgments about a squirt/peewee aged kid.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com

As one of the few people I've found who isn't drinking the Ekblad kool-aid (like myself), Day is infinitely more skilled and a better skater. At the same age, Ekblad was steadier defensively, but this won't last as Day's unbelievable skating will help him shut any play down when he gets more experience.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
NYC
Here's a piece I wrote on him from the game vs Belleville on September 27th on a website my friends and I work on:

In my trip to Missisauga I was expecting to have a few write ups of several players on Missisauga, and Belleville but unfortunately no one stood out that is draft eligible, or will be, other than 1998 born exceptional status defenseman Sean Day. Day displayed the exact qualities that dominated his previous midget league last season, the good and the bad.

Since there's so little let's get the negative out of the way. As expected he rushes the puck anytime he views an open lane to skate up, which can turn out to be a bad thing when he gets by one with a quick little deke, then gets some confidence, and tries it again on the following player but gets stopped at the red line centre ice.

To focus on the positives now, his rushing ability is second to none. His combination of hands, size, and skating ability makes him an unstoppable force when he's on his game. Besides the times he got the puck poke checked away from him, he views the ice with a quick look when he gets the puck in his own end, and then he's off. He'll get in full gear in a few strides with just a couple of steps, blast by or do a quick simple deke to get by the Bulls player to enter the zone to either turn back to pass it, or hold it, or even at one point had a excellent shot where the goalie made a fantastic save. I've seen, and heard all about his skating along with his rushing talents so none of that was new, it was his board play, and psychical play that surprised me. He really picked up the play in his own zone, when the game was on the line. A few times the play was tangled up behind the Steelheads net being covered by players, but Day came in took the puck away like it was nothing. To go with that he was certainly not afraid to use his size that night, either doing a quick pivot to turn, while using his body and reach to shield the puck, or make not a huge but effective hit along the boards to get the Belleville player away from the puck. To add to that, whenever he messed up and lost the puck on a rush, he makes a tremendous effort to get it back.

I very much look forward to tracking him throughout if his rookie year, if this game, and his 3 points in 4 games, so far this year has indicated he will be a very special player.

Incase you want to see the piece with videos here's the link: http://elitehockeyscouting.wix.com/elitescouting#!ohl/ccbt

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
As one of the few people I've found who isn't drinking the Ekblad kool-aid (like myself), Day is infinitely more skilled and a better skater. At the same age, Ekblad was steadier defensively, but this won't last as Day's unbelievable skating will help him shut any play down when he gets more experience.

Good post and I agree, Day looks better than Ekblad did at the same age so far.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
So, what are the thoughts on Day now after about 2 months?

He has a decent 9 points in 29 games so far but is last in the OHL in +/- at -24. It looks like he's been overmatched defensively at the junior level so far. Would he have benefited from another year before entering the OHL?

Numbers aren't everything. The -24 is incredibly deceiving IMO. The Steelheads just aren't a great hockey team and Day has had a rotating group of defensive partners this year.

Like any rookie defenseman in this league (let alone a 15 year old one), he can have some problems with his reads in his own end and he can chase the puck at times. BUT, overall I think he's actually been better in his own end than I would have anticipated. He's already a pretty solid board player and does a good job of separating players from the puck. He's already confident enough to play physical and use his 6'2, 220lbs body. And of course, his skating ability is an asset when defending off the rush. It's just all about getting the experience on reads and situations that will further his development in his own end.

I've been incredibly impressed with him this year.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Numbers aren't everything. The -24 is incredibly deceiving IMO. The Steelheads just aren't a great hockey team and Day has had a rotating group of defensive partners this year.

Like any rookie defenseman in this league (let alone a 15 year old one), he can have some problems with his reads in his own end and he can chase the puck at times. BUT, overall I think he's actually been better in his own end than I would have anticipated. He's already a pretty solid board player and does a good job of separating players from the puck. He's already confident enough to play physical and use his 6'2, 220lbs body. And of course, his skating ability is an asset when defending off the rush. It's just all about getting the experience on reads and situations that will further his development in his own end.

Are you kidding me 220 lbs (100 kg) as a 15 yo tween...?! What do they put in kids porridge in Canada?

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011

Really looking forward to the under 17 this year. Ontario have 5-6 individuals that should be exciting to watch at this level.
They have some big boys on D.
I wish Sprong would have joined the tourney.

Larry Hoover

Sep 16, 2012
Not going to name names, but I know one of the coaches for the Steelheads and he had some interesting thoughts on Sean Day. Pretty much, he's not sure how high the kids potential is...he is just so far ahead developmentally than his peers but will he hit a rock soon while the others catch up and possibly exceed him? Was surprised to hear that concern from one of the coaches. Now, he did say he could end up going #1 in his draft year and continue to develop, he just isn't sure whether he is going to continue developing and at the same rate his peers will.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
I haven't had a chance to look through this whole thread, so I apologize if this has already been asked and answered, but does he have any relation to former NHLer Joe Day?

That's good to hear. It sounds like he has potential to be a good defensive player even if the results aren't there yet. But he was a -3 again yesterday and is now at -27.

Have you noticed any recent change? Because it seems the bottom dropped out of his game statistically in the last month. He was -9 in his first 16 games and -18 in his last 12 games. The first number isn't good but perhaps not unexpected for a 15 year old on a poor team, but the second is terrible regardless of age. I'm guessing he's been mostly paired with Jacob Graves during this time period. Could that be a poor partner for him?

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Not going to name names, but I know one of the coaches for the Steelheads and he had some interesting thoughts on Sean Day. Pretty much, he's not sure how high the kids potential is...he is just so far ahead developmentally than his peers but will he hit a rock soon while the others catch up and possibly exceed him? Was surprised to hear that concern from one of the coaches. Now, he did say he could end up going #1 in his draft year and continue to develop, he just isn't sure whether he is going to continue developing and at the same rate his peers will.

So....this guy is admitting he's not good at his job? It's his job to develop this kid at this level. If he can't teach him anything because he's so far ahead in development, than start teaching him things he'll learn at the next level. He's probably ready for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad