LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
When Ekblad was drafted, was he also playing a year up as well? I'm just curious because he was a little over a ppg and Day has not been producing at that level this year. I know stats aren't everything (especially at these levels where players with no pro aspirations can put up quality numbers) and it sounds like he has amazing tools but if he was super focused and always gave 100% I would expect better production from an Exceptional Player. I know some have said his maturity level was a potential factor in him not be granted exceptional status, could maturity issues have led to consistency issues for him?

Yep, Ekblad played a year up, him and current Spitfire Trevor Murphy were the two highest scorers on that Sun County team, both from the back end.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
When Ekblad was drafted, was he also playing a year up as well? I'm just curious because he was a little over a ppg and Day has not been producing at that level this year. I know stats aren't everything (especially at these levels where players with no pro aspirations can put up quality numbers) and it sounds like he has amazing tools but if he was super focused and always gave 100% I would expect better production from an Exceptional Player. I know some have said his maturity level was a potential factor in him not be granted exceptional status, could maturity issues have led to consistency issues for him?

The reports seem to say Day is not trying because he's too good for the level. People who've watched him seem to say that he'll skate circles around everybody then dump the puck in. Ekblad clearly did not play like that. Day plays to his talent when games have mattered though.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
The reports seem to say Day is not trying because he's too good for the level. People who've watched him seem to say that he'll skate circles around everybody then dump the puck in. Ekblad clearly did not play like that. Day plays to his talent when games have mattered though.

The ISS report says right in it "less than stellar performance in the Michigan Minor Midget state playoffs to end his competitive playing season." So which games actually mattered?

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009

I donno about the last sentence but all the footage I've watched of Day goes with what you said. He picks up the puck in the defensive zone, walks around everyone like it's absolutely nothing then fires it in the corner. It's almost like he prefers stopping kids then scoring on them lol

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006

Sounds dumb enough alright.

If he's that good, he should do everything necessary to help his team win, no matter how "better" than everyone else he feels he is.

No wonder why teams stay away from him.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON

If he's that good, he should do everything necessary to help his team win, no matter how "better" than everyone else he feels he is.

:nod: It would be awfully hard to invest such a high pick on a kid who coasted so much.

Ken Campbell ‏@THNKenCampbell 30m
I scout I spoke with is "99.9 percent sure" the Mississauga Steelheads will take Sean Day with the fourth overall pick in OHL draft.

We will find out in the morning for sure, I was beginning to wonder if Mississauga would even take him because for a while there we were learning a new kid who was gonna go ahead of Day every week. The Steelheads lose Demelo, Percy and Cord so there won't be a lot getting in the way of Day on the depth chart. I hope he is successful, having such a high end prospect in the OHL like he can be is exciting.

Last edited:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009

You mean his team that finished first place with a 19-4-3 record in the High Performance Hockey League? :help:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Sean Day ‏@SeanDay66 3m
At the Real Sports Bar in downtown Toronto... This place is packed. I'm just trying to get a bite to eat! #Crowded

^^ sounds like Mississauga is choosing him if he's in downtown T.O. this late at night?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
This could have all been pre-determined months ago, the OHL draft is a different beast altogether. With the Brampton franchise on the move, Mississauga/Toronto, I'd imagine the commute from Detroit to Toronto is easier for his parents, a quick flight, a not so far drive..plus, this is good motivation for the kid, not everything should be gift wrapped and handed to him.. it's good to face a little adversity, man up and prove some of the doubters wrong...hope he trains with the guru Gary Roberts and lets see what he can do..our first look will be in July at the All-Canadian mentorship game and a few years playing jr... until then, lets not rush to judgement on the kid...

Somehow if he doesn't score 5 pts in his first OHL game, the geniuses around here will make their opinions heard.

Canuck71*

Not disrespecting the 3 players picked above Day but I think he is gunna have those teams kicking themselves in the future for not selecting him.

Ive watched a lot of Minor Midget hockey in the past few years trying to stay on top of the next big talents coming to the OHL and in all of my viewings I have never ever seen a defenseman with Day's stature skate like that. It is incredible to watch. I think that alone will make his adjustment to the OHL a hell of a lot easier.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Dylan Strome is a pretty damn good player. He had a higher ppg than Mcdavid albiet a year older.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
I can't wait until they play "It's A Beautiful Day" every time Sean tickles the twine at the Chocolate Factory next season.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I have a conspiracy theory that involves Sean Day requesting to play in Toronto and getting the commish to give him exceptional status + getting the first commish to force 3 teams to pass on him to go to Mississauga. Sadly that makes more sense to me then 3 teams passing on this kid haha

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
I have a conspiracy theory that involves Sean Day requesting to play in Toronto and getting the commish to give him exceptional status + getting the first commish to force 3 teams to pass on him to go to Mississauga. Sadly that makes more sense to me then 3 teams passing on this kid haha

It's not the commissioner who decides, you silly goose! Nonetheless, I like the cut of your jib, Adam.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Are you sure the Canadian government didn't put this out? The Canadian air? :laugh:
Not sure if you've ever stayed in parts of the Rust Belt (keep in mind that he's lived in Detroit) and then traveled over the border, but he's right from my experience.

Just one example: Niagara Falls on the US side is dump, but you simply cross the border and it's like a different world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad