LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
That piece is interesting because the kid hasn't even lived here.

Strong connection with his roots.

Good to see.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I don't begrudge the kid's affinity for his Canadian heritage. He is Canadian after all. I just thought the video was humorous in it's message.

It's a 15 year old kid expressing his opinion based on experience.

You're going to hold that against him or TSN?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I like his American accent, he'll get some good natured ribbing from the boys with Ontario accents.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Liked the video. Seems weird hearing him say how he cheered for Canada and wants to play for us. We don't seem to have the level of patriotism Americans have. (wish we did)
I hope he dominates the OHL.
Is it possible that there was some kind of gentlemens agreement from the 3 teams that didn't pick him, did so, so he could play in the GTA?
I don't believe for a second that HC gave him exceptional status to deter US hockey from grabbing him. He's made it known for a while he wants to play for Canada.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Liked the video. Seems weird hearing him say how he cheered for Canada and wants to play for us. We don't seem to have the level of patriotism Americans have. (wish we did)
I hope he dominates the OHL.
Is it possible that there was some kind of gentlemens agreement from the 3 teams that didn't pick him, did so, so he could play in the GTA?
I don't believe for a second that HC gave him exceptional status to deter US hockey from grabbing him. He's made it known for a while he wants to play for Canada.

re: gentleman's agreement is quite possible. These types of deals happen all the time in the OHL.

USA Hockey grabbing him wasn't that much of a concern, Day opting for the NCAA was however, Hockey Canada will feed as many players as possible into the CHL.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Still can't believe he was drafted 4th OA. Unbelievable how good he already is at that age!
Erie should have drafted him, McDavid and Day on the same team would have been really cool!

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Are you sure the Canadian government didn't put this out? The Canadian air? :laugh:

Really though. If and when he plays for Canada at the WJC (which I still hope never happens) it will be painful sitting through the segments attempting to show just how Canadian Sean Day really is.

I haven't seen him all that much, but he reminds me of Bouwmeester around that age. Good size, tremendous skating, possible issues with compete level.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Really though. If and when he plays for Canada at the WJC (which I still hope never happens) it will be painful sitting through the segments attempting to show just how Canadian Sean Day really is.

I haven't seen him all that much, but he reminds me of Bouwmeester around that age. Good size, tremendous skating, possible issues with compete level.

sorry Jack, you are way off base on this one. I agree with you on a lot of stuff, but this time you are just wrong. The question of will he or won't he ever make any Canadian national team is yet to be determined, but he has every right to aspire to it, and if he makes it, he'll make it based on merit and deserve it no matter what you perceive a Canadian player to be (as I understand your philosophy, a Canadian player is one who is strictly raised and trained in Canada). I think that philosophy is rather antiquated given globalization.

I happen to be in the same line of work as Day's father, and am as well an expat residing for the most part outside of Canada. I don't currently have children, but if I do have children at some point and they happen to be born outside of Canada, then they'll be raised to be Canadian. I think day's parents did a fabulous job and if Day sees himself as Canadian, who are you to argue?

I hope he makes it. I'm rooting for the kid.

oh, and given we are discussing the National Team. an interesting tweet today regarding Marc Methot on Hockey Canada's radar for the sochi Olympics. Seriously, Hockey Canada is completely off it's rocker. I can tell right now, they are intent on another 6th or 7th place finish just as in Torino 06.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
sorry Jack, you are way off base on this one. I agree with you on a lot of stuff, but this time you are just wrong. The question of will he or won't he ever make any Canadian national team is yet to be determined, but he has every right to aspire to it, and if he makes it, he'll make it based on merit and deserve it no matter what you perceive a Canadian player to be (as I understand your philosophy, a Canadian player is one who is strictly raised and trained in Canada). I think that philosophy is rather antiquated given globalization.

I happen to be in the same line of work as Day's father, and am as well an expat residing for the most part outside of Canada. I don't currently have children, but if I do have children at some point and they happen to be born outside of Canada, then they'll be raised to be Canadian. I think day's parents did a fabulous job and if Day sees himself as Canadian, who are you to argue?

I hope he makes it. I'm rooting for the kid.

Yes, well we disagree regarding Day and Hockey Canada. My disapproval lies more with HC than with Day. I have no ill will toward him though, and of course wish him the best in his career.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Yes, well we disagree regarding Day and Hockey Canada. My disapproval lies more with HC than with Day. I have no ill will toward him though, and of course wish him the best in his career.

Good! Then I'm not the only one with issues with HC and Bob "you know what" Nicholson and his gang of dysfunctionaries.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
What's so good about this player? Is he the next potential hall of famer?

Can someone fill me in on this guy. Since I live in the US, I don't have access to any of the information regarding these players.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011

Can someone fill me in on this guy. Since I live in the US, I don't have access to any of the information regarding these players.

One of few players to gain exceptional status to the OHL at 15.

He should develop into something special. #1D.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
The kid sounds cocky.

If he's above the competition like he said, he should have much better numbers.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

Nobody in Canada ever heard of him until Dec. when one of the country's most respected coaches Brian Kilrea said he was the best 14 year old player he had ever seen. When Kilrea speaks people pay attention. so, that set of a hype storm in the country. Somebody said that the very minute he plays his first shift in the OHL next fall he will be the leagues' best skater. And his skating is super elite, super elite +.

As to how his career will pan out, lets just wait and see.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Nobody in Canada ever heard of him until Dec. when one of the country's most respected coaches Brian Kilrea said he was the best 14 year old player he had ever seen. When Kilrea speaks people pay attention. so, that set of a hype storm in the country. Somebody said that the very minute he plays his first shift in the OHL next fall he will be the leagues' best skater. And his skating is super elite, super elite +.

As to how his career will pan out, lets just wait and see.

He actually said Day was the best skating 14 year old he's ever seen. Not the best all around.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Nobody in Canada ever heard of him until Dec. when one of the country's most respected coaches Brian Kilrea said he was the best 14 year old player he had ever seen.

Whoa, whoa. A lot of people took notice of him at the 2011 Silverstick when he was playing for Honeybaked. A lot of serious fans in an around Toronto knew about Day before he became popular on here.

11-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Garyboy

vCash: 500
Sean Day on the Detroit Honeybaked 98's is a wonderful hockey player. Should be playing up a year or two. A name/player to watch.

Last edited:

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
The kid sounds cocky.

If he's above the competition like he said, he should have much better numbers.

He's cocky? Came off as ambitious more then anything. He is above his age groups' skill level. To try and come off as if he's not above his age groups' skill level is just being silly and overly modest to the point of being annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad