LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Also, show me a 14 year old kid who's always told how good he is who isn't at least a bit cocky. Maturity comes with age and veteran leadership in the locker room.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Also, show me a 14 year old kid who's always told how good he is who isn't at least a bit cocky. Maturity comes with age and veteran leadership in the locker room.

People are spoiled by the first "exceptional" status player Tavares who was incredibly humble at 14. Ekblad was as well.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
New highlight vid. Video from some other sources.

Thanks for posting. That is one incredibly awful song. Was I the only one who muted it after buddy started screaming? Sean's video's should have Mozart playing the background, as a testament to his deliciously beautiful skating.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Whoa, whoa. A lot of people took notice of him at the 2011 Silverstick when he was playing for Honeybaked. A lot of serious fans in an around Toronto knew about Day before he became popular on here.

11-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Garyboy

vCash: 500
Sean Day on the Detroit Honeybaked 98's is a wonderful hockey player. Should be playing up a year or two. A name/player to watch.

right, my apologies, you were clearly ahead of the curve. What I should of said was he only bacame a household name in Dec.....

I'll try to pay more attention in the future to every single post written on this site.

Fearless Leaf*

I am not trying to bring this up for the sake of bringing it up but by the highlights from the videos, his skating and the way the way he moves up the ice reminds me a lot of Morgan Rielly. Just beautiful.

On a side note, I have heard a lot of great things about Sean Day and judging by his skill-set and size(6'3) at this age is incredible, it is quite a shock that fell to the steelheads. There are a number of phenoms at defence to watch out for in the OHL with Ekblad as the top gun

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Thanks for posting. That is one incredibly awful song. Was I the only one who muted it after buddy started screaming? Sean's video's should have Mozart playing the background, as a testament to his deliciously beautiful skating.

That's Rise Against. They're an awesome band.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010

Interesting that he seems to be using a shorter stick than one might expect...

Small Brain Presence

Not sure if you've ever stayed in parts of the Rust Belt (keep in mind that he's lived in Detroit) and then traveled over the border, but he's right from my experience.

Just one example: Niagara Falls on the US side is dump, but you simply cross the border and it's like a different world.

So Windsor has better smelling air than Detroit even though it's south of Detroit?. That international border has strange, mysterious powers.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Interesting that he seems to be using a shorter stick than one might expect...

More than likely makes it easier for him to handle the puck with ease. Especially in tight spots, and considering how often he leads the rush.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
When he's skating backwards I get mesmerized by his feet. How fast and smoothly he moves his feet when going backwards, unreal is an understatement. I noticed the stick being small too, I'm glad others mentioned it because I thought I was just seeing things lol I guess you can give up the reach when you're skating is so effortless.

I've seen quite a bit of footage of him now and every time I lose my mind at the way he floats around the ice.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
The kid sounds cocky.

If he's above the competition like he said, he should have much better numbers.

He's not cocky. From what I know and what I've heard, he barely ever talks about himself and is all about the team.

I'm seriously baffled as to how he fell to 4. Especially why Erie passed on him. I guarantee they will regret it.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
He's not cocky. From what I know and what I've heard, he barely ever talks about himself and is all about the team.

I'm seriously baffled as to how he fell to 4. Especially why Erie passed on him. I guarantee they will regret it.

Only thing that makes sense is he didn't wanna play for the first 3 teams, and since they can't trade the picks they just had to pass on him to ensure they got a guy they liked.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Only thing that makes sense is he didn't wanna play for the first 3 teams, and since they can't trade the picks they just had to pass on him to ensure they got a guy they liked.

I wonder if his parents grew up in the Mississauga area or has other family ties there or something? Otherwise I don't see why he would refuse to play for those other three teams.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
I wonder if his parents grew up in the Mississauga area or has other family ties there or something? Otherwise I don't see why he would refuse to play for those other three teams.

He did not refuse, it was known that he would report to any team. The problem was that teams had scouted the top players quadruple the amount of times they had seen Day. Plus they were unaware if he would even get the status. Even before he was awarded exceptional status, Dylan Strome, Travis Konecny and Matt Spencer were already factored in as the most dominant players in this class. Plus the teams had already made deals with these players. He is an exceptional skater, but most scouts felt Spencer was the better all around defensemen.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
So Windsor has better smelling air than Detroit even though it's south of Detroit?. That international border has strange, mysterious powers.

Perhaps it has nothing to do with the border itself...from what I know of the area, there are significant environmental differences between the Detroit area and Windsor. That said, it still does seem a bit of an odd comment...he basically said Detroit stinks, which is politically uncool, even of you were raised in the Detroit area.

Most of all, I attribute his comments to him still being a kid.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
If you want to see him play some spring hockey for the East Coast Selects Ontario at the World Selects tournament, his game tonight vs Ural Selects should be streamed here at 8PM EDT.
He'll be wearing #55.
Another player to watch is #7 Nic Sicoly who has played up with the 97 Soo Thunder for a few years.

Just a reminder though that this will essentially be Major Bantam level, as it's for the 98 age group.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
If you want to see him play some spring hockey for the East Coast Selects Ontario at the World Selects tournament, his game tonight vs Ural Selects should be streamed here at 8PM EDT.
He'll be wearing #55.
Another player to watch is #7 Nic Sicoly who has played up with the 97 Soo Thunder for a few years.

Just a reminder though that this will essentially be Major Bantam level, as it's for the 98 age group.

And from what I gather he has 3 goals and 2 assists in 2 games yesterday. Haven't been able to figure out his complete stat sheet.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
And from what I gather he has 3 goals and 2 assists in 2 games yesterday. Haven't been able to figure out his complete stat sheet.
Preliminary round: 5GP 4-3-7 6 PIMs
Playoffs: 1GP 2-0-2 2 PIMs

Yesterday he had the GTG and GWG and destroyed a kid that tried to dispossess him along the wall.
He also had some of his Steelheads gear (gloves and pants) on.

Today he'll play another playoff game against New England Nordiques at 8AM EDT, a team which includes a top prospect for the 2014 OHL Priority Selection, #4 Cole Candella (Toronto Jr. Canadiens).
It can be seen via the same link as before.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Preliminary round: 5GP 4-3-7 6 PIMs
Playoffs: 1GP 2-0-2 2 PIMs

Yesterday he had the GTG and GWG and destroyed a kid that tried to dispossess him along the wall.
He also had some of his Steelheads gear (gloves and pants) on.

Today he'll play another playoff game against New England Nordiques at 8AM EDT, a team which includes a top prospect for the 2014 OHL Priority Selection, #4 Cole Candella (Toronto Jr. Canadiens).
It can be seen via the same link as before.

Ya I think he may well make Ottawa and Erie regret their decision of passing on this guy who would have been in their line-up for 3 years. Keep the thread updated, please! much appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing him for the 1st time in the All Canadian game in July.

MyNameIsNobody*

Ya I think he may well make Ottawa and Erie regret their decision of passing on this guy who would have been in their line-up for 3 years. Keep the thread updated, please! much appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing him for the 1st time in the All Canadian game in July.

What are the odds of him getting an invite to Ivan hlinka tournament this summer??

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
What are the odds of him getting an invite to Ivan hlinka tournament this summer??

Not likely. Hockey Canada is very conservative and send all their top players to that tournament (this year 1996 born players) They may not even send McDavid because he's already competing in IIHF U18 tournament and they may not see the point in him going back to Europe in august where he could be training for September camp. Realistically I think McDavid has already made the U20 team for this year. (but that's just me) getting back to Day, he's certainly physically mature enough, I'd invite him to camp and if he impresses then why not... but what I would do and what Hockey Canada normally does are 2 entirely different things. Remember, Day hasn't competed against junior elite talent as of yet. So, I'm ok with him going to camp but I don't see the real need to send him into a u18 tournament... although considering most countries don't bother sending their best teams to this event, I'm thinking what harm can it do really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad