LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Thoughts on why Day might be passed over? Has he said he does not want to play for Ottawa or Erie?

Ottawa is looking for a high end offensive force and Konecny fits that bill to a T. He is arguably one of the top offensive talents in North America for his birth year. Not sure why Erie would pass on Day but its not like Strome would be a bad pick.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Thoughts on why Day might be passed over? Has he said he does not want to play for Ottawa or Erie?

I've heard there are questions about how Day applies himself. 11 points in 25 games is very pedestrian for someone of his talent. The question they're asking themselves is will Day really turn it on all the time in the OHL? Konecny and Strome are seen as safer because they're forwards (easier to project than D) and they both actually dominated minor midget hockey. You don't have to worry about those kids bringing it.

Ottersfan1

Mar 28, 2013
Ottawa is looking for a high end offensive force and Konecny fits that bill to a T. He is arguably one of the top offensive talents in North America for his birth year. Not sure why Erie would pass on Day but its not like Strome would be a bad pick.

Very true. But they are desperately in need of D. I don't have faith Bassin will be able to address that through trade. Perhaps the Import draft. But I still think it is silly to pass over the best player available, who in my mind is Sean Day. Dylan Strome is a close second though.

Ottersfan1

Mar 28, 2013
I've heard there are questions about how Day applies himself. 11 points in 25 games is very pedestrian for someone of his talent. The question they're asking themselves is will Day really turn it on all the time in the OHL? Konecny and Strome are seen as safer because they're forwards (easier to project than D) and they both actually dominated minor midget hockey. You don't have to worry about those kids bringing it.
I wonder how much of that is because he is not being challenged.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I will laugh so hard if Day stills ends up going to one of the big four (Windsor, Kitchener, London, Ottawa) after Ottawa passes on him. He won't and shouldn't fall that far but if he's not getting picked top two I could see him deciding to be a lot more picky.

He will report anywhere. No point in guessing that Day is going to be "picky".

Did u watch Day? Are u suggestting he didnt dominate Minor Midget? He could skate around for his 45 second shift if he wanted too, playing keep away. Is that dominate enough for u ?

Clearly u have not seen him play. U look at the stat sheet and think u know the player. When I watched Day at times, I thought of myself playing against 8 yr olds. Its fun to deke around them for the first ten minutes and than that becomes boring, so I relax and watch. I believe he was bored, unchallenged. Its not a great thing to feel this way if your Day, but I see a little of that.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
He will report anywhere. No point in guessing that Day is going to be "picky".

Did u watch Day? Are u suggestting he didnt dominate Minor Midget? He could skate around for his 45 second shift if he wanted too, playing keep away. Is that dominate enough for u ?

Clearly u have not seen him play. U look at the stat sheet and think u know the player. When I watched Day at times, I thought of myself playing against 8 yr olds. Its fun to deke around them for the first ten minutes and than that becomes boring, so I relax and watch. I believe he was bored, unchallenged. Its not a great thing to feel this way if your Day, but I see a little of that.

Kind of the point of my post that he was bored, now they have to question how he does when he isn't bored. Haven't seen him play but know a lot of people that have. It sounds like two OHL teams are passing on him, clearly there is something there and if it isn't work ethic/applying himself what is it? Because the physical talent is through the roof. Should have said Konency and Strome consistently dominated this year, clearly Day can dominate when he wants to.

Last edited:

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Personally with their desperate need for defensemen I believe Erie shouldn't pass him up for Strome. I understand Ottawa going Konecny.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It sounds like two OHL teams are passing on him, clearly there is something there and if it isn't work ethic/applying himself what is it? Because the physical talent is through the roof. Should have said Konency and Strome consistently dominated this year, clearly Day can dominate when he wants to.

Possibly its a bluff. Also, possibly certain teams like other players more than others, whether they are right or not, time will tell. I know he is well liked in the Compuware room by his team-mates. Kids are still maturing, he is still Bantam age. Scouts were judging him as a 12-13-14 yr old, fair or not. That would be tough on most people. Cheers.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
I wonder how much of that is because he is not being challenged.

That's my line of thinking. He's out there looking ultra-casual, as if he's playing shinny with his friend. I really think he's just bored with minor hockey. Anyone that saw his game against the Jr. Canadiens knows what Day can do when he's trying. Throw in the fact he netted a hat-trick at the OHL Combine. He's on another level when he's trying.

It boggles my mind that teams could pass up on this kind of specimen.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
That's my line of thinking. He's out there looking ultra-casual, as if he's playing shinny with his friend. I really think he's just bored with minor hockey. Anyone that saw his game against the Jr. Canadiens knows what Day can do when he's trying. Throw in the fact he netted a hat-trick at the OHL Combine. He's on another level when he's trying.

Agreed. Should be an interesting Draft day.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

You and me both...I was super excited when he got status because it would be really cool to be able to come watch, and cheer, for a talent like that for the next 3 years in Ottawa...but now I'm hearing they aren't going to draft him? That's after Kilrea calls him the best 14 year old he's ever seen?

Blasphemous. Upsetting to say the least.

bluedog

Sep 13, 2009
I was under the impression the title implied that both Tavares and Livingston had applied for exceptional status. It isn't complete bollocks because it was certainly true for Tavares.

Like I said believe 50% what you read in forums.

youppi2

Dec 19, 2012
Edmonton
Did u watch Day? Are u suggesting he didnt dominate Minor Midget? He could skate around for his 45 second shift if he wanted too, playing keep away. Is that dominate enough for u ?

This is an excellent description. His physical gifts are incredible, if there is any doubt about picking him, it must be this "laissez faire" play the scouts observed, causing the doubts.

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
I bet Erie is bluffing - throwing it out there that they aren't going to take him to generate trade offers from all the teams lower than them that would want to jump up to their spot and grab him. If they get an offer they like, they take it. If not, they will select Day.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I bet Erie is bluffing - throwing it out there that they aren't going to take him to generate trade offers from all the teams lower than them that would want to jump up to their spot and grab him. If they get an offer they like, they take it. If not, they will select Day.

You can't trade first round picks in the OHL. You can trade the player you pick in a one month timeframe in the summer then not again till sometime in the reason.

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
You can't trade first round picks in the OHL. You can trade the player you pick in a one month timeframe in the summer then not again till sometime in the reason.

You agree in principal to a trade - Erie selects Day. Then moves the player to their trade partner. The effect is the same as trading the pick - get someone drafting below to overpay to ensure they get Day.

I don't follow the priority draft enough to have an example, but it is like what the NY Giants and the San Diego Chargers did with Eli Manning - SD selected him, and then traded him to NYG for another QB drafted 4th overall, a 3rd rounder in that draft and a 1st in the next year's draft. Here, I am sure it would involve players, not picks, but the idea is the same.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
You agree in principal to a trade - Erie selects Day. Then moves the player to their trade partner. The effect is the same as trading the pick - get someone drafting below to overpay to ensure they get Day.

I don't follow the priority draft enough to have an example, but it is like what the NY Giants and the San Diego Chargers did with Eli Manning - SD selected him, and then traded him to NYG for another QB drafted 4th overall, a 3rd rounder in that draft and a 1st in the next year's draft. Here, I am sure it would involve players, not picks, but the idea is the same.

But you can't trade him immediately. It would be August, and if this was the case, Erie wouldn't bluff, they'd say they'd pick him if he's avaiable and listen to trade offers in the small window they can.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I still think the 67's are going to take him. I think they were just managing the other camps perspective (and egos) before Day was declared eligible, so they would not offend anyone like what happened with Couture, when Tavares was given the special status. The fact the 67's haven't announced whom they will take, leads me to believe it will be Day. Given the overtures they made to Konecy's camp and others, I'm sure they are just trying to demonstrate how tough a decision it was.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Sean Lafortune ‏@SeanLafortune 1m
@RossyYoungblood @MattBTHG It will be annonuced on Friday. Always is for media purposes.

First pick has to be done the day before. Full draft on Saturday.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
@TSNBobMcKenzie: "@OHLHockey: @Ottawa67sHockey will announce 1st overall pick 2013 #OHLDraft today at 2PM in OTT"/Congrats Elgin-Middlesex's Travis Konecny.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: I'm no OHL draft expert but sounds like tomorrow's draft could go as follows: 1. Travis Konecny to OTT. 2. Dylan Strome to ERIE.
@TSNBobMcKenzie: 3. Matt Spencer (Oakville D) to PBO. 4. Underager Sean Day (Compuware D) to MISSISSAUGA. Always subject to change but that sounds likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad