LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If Ottawa doesn't take Day I will not go to a single game next year in protest. <_<

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Wait Erie picks second right? So if Ottawa passes on Day, Erie has the chance to have two exceptional players on their team? Wow

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
There may be some outrage if Ottawa passes on Day, and maybe rightfully so.

But watching some video of Konecny...at first glance he looks like Tyler Seguin who plays with a bit of edge. Lots of hype gets tossed around for the exceptional status player but sometimes there's special prospects who don't get the moniker.

I'd trust the franchise who's turned the most players into NHLers, and the guy most responsible is still highly involved in the scouting process.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
DarrenDreger OHL will officially announce Sean Day has been granted exceptional status at 10am. Sean will address media via conference call at 3pm et.
http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/314730795124277249

DarrenDreger Several months ago as part on our intro to Sean Day, Brian Kilrea described him as the best 14 year old player he has ever seen...
http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/314731572890849280

Edit: And it's official:
OHLHockey 15-year-old Sean Day granted "exceptional player" status by @HockeyCanada as announced by @OHFHockey today he is eligible for 2013 #OHLDraft
http://twitter.com/OHLHockey/status/314762998168305664

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/article/exceptional-player-status-for-sean-day

Last edited:

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
No, he doesn't. I too figure he'd just enter the draft with the rest of the '98's next year if he's not granted exceptional status. Especially considering Day's mentioned what a dream of his it is to play for Canada. You only figure that would translate to playing in the OHL at some point.

The fear for Hockey Canada would be having Day play for the U.S National program before they could get him into their system.

He never seemed to be a threat to go the NCAA route, some kids want no part of school and that's fine.

It's all irrelivent now. I'd guess he is a lock for the Ontario U17 team next year though.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
congrats to the kid. I wish him well. Look forward to watching him play. I guess the country's first glimpse will be that the NHLPA summer mentorship camp in July. Welcome home kid.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
The fear for Hockey Canada would be having Day play for the U.S National program before they could get him into their system.

He never seemed to be a threat to go the NCAA route, some kids want no part of school and that's fine.

It's all irrelivent now. I'd guess he is a lock for the Ontario U17 team next year though.

Hes not a US citizen, the US program was never an option for him. Something you may want to be aware of moving forward. Kind of surprised you didn't already know that actually.

Call me Suds

Dec 21, 2012
Hes not a US citizen, the US program was never an option for him. Something you may want to be aware of moving forward. Kind of surprised you didn't already know that actually.

In fairness he could get it with insane ease. He's played all his hockey in the states as well so IIHF would allow it no problem at all

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I know nothing of the kid. So why was he playing in Michigan?

His dad worked there. USNTDP needs a US passport to have Day on there squad. No passport, no roster spot. USNTDP was not an option for Day next year, as they do not let players play up a year. He considered Junior A team in Toronto for next year, if he was denied ES status. His dad said if he was denied ES they would have re-entered the draft next year with the 98's. He re-iterated his sons dream to play and represent Canada in the future as they are Canadian citizens, although lived in the USA for most of Day's life.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

He'd have to actually apply for U.S. citizenship first, thus my remarks.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
As per the conference call, Day has zero interest in looking into U.S. citizenship. Was very impressed with how his Dad came across.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
In fairness he could get it with insane ease. He's played all his hockey in the states as well so IIHF would allow it no problem at all

His parent(s) would have to obtain citizenship first and that's not done with "insane ease". And no the IIHF wouldn't allow it.

Agree, it would not have been easy at all. In my current role, sometimes we work with transfer agreements, the IIHF doesn't just approve things 'because', you need all your ducks in a row, sometimes twice lol.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Some Day comments from his coach Andy Copp for those looking for a bit more scope.

“Normally, the highest evaluation that I would put on a skill would be ‘elite’, well…Sean’s skating is a step above that,†Copp said. “His stride is long, powerful and effortless. He can stop on a dime, change direction and be completely gone in one stride.â€

“His only real weakness is that he is just a fresh faced 15-year-old and he is still learning the game and maturing,†added Copp.

http://futureconsiderations.ca/fw-an-exceptional-day/

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
phew...glad this is over. now he can come out of the closet and tell everybody that his parents have been US citizens for years now and that he will have a tough decision ahead for which country to represent. he pulled the wool over the CHL's eyes!!! :sarcasm:

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
In other news, Sean Day apparently plays hockey.

Does anyone want to talk about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad