LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Hockey Canada does not like to chase away high end potential for its elite programs.
They make exceptions all over the board and would especially hate losing a player, that would pay dividends later, to the USA program now.
Thats where this ends up and would be cause for serious debate.

Agree, that's why I mentioned the OHL not wanting to lose this kid to the USHL. To me it's the biggest reason the kid still has a chance.

I agree that's its probably causing serious debate. OHL teams not in love with the idea of selecting him in the early spots but at a league/Hockey Canada level you want this kid in your system.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Agree, that's why I mentioned the OHL not wanting to lose this kid to the USHL. To me it's the biggest reason the kid still has a chance.

I agree that's its probably causing serious debate. OHL teams not in love with the idea of selecting him in the early spots but at a league/Hockey Canada level you want this kid in your system.

wouldn't he just enter the draft next year? what's his motivation for staying in the USHL past the next year (unless he's dying to play in the NCAA). i don't see what the big deal is.

i guess the only thing would be if they think he's going to enter the NTDP and play for the US in international competition...but he doesn't have US citizenship, does he?

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
wouldn't he just enter the draft next year? what's his motivation for staying in the USHL past the next year (unless he's dying to play in the NCAA). i don't see what the big deal is.

i guess the only thing would be if they think he's going to enter the NTDP and play for the US in international competition...but he doesn't have US citizenship, does he?

No, he doesn't. I too figure he'd just enter the draft with the rest of the '98's next year if he's not granted exceptional status. Especially considering Day's mentioned what a dream of his it is to play for Canada. You only figure that would translate to playing in the OHL at some point.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON

I don't quite follow the logic that he's gonna spurn the entire OHL because he didn't get exceptional status to play as a 15 year old. It's not like they're making him weight forever, he just has to wait as long as everybody who isn't Tavares, McDavid or Ekblad in the last ten years. But I know the idea is out there they could lose him to the US system for good, USHL then college or something.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I don't quite follow the logic that he's gonna spurn the entire OHL because he didn't get exceptional status to play as a 15 year old. It's not like they're making him weight forever, he just has to wait as long as everybody who isn't Tavares, McDavid or Ekblad in the last ten years. But I know the idea is out there they could lose him to the US system for good, USHL then college or something.

I don't think he has a desire to play college though. He will just have to wait as long as everybody else in his age group, I don't see the big deal. Play one more year in the Compuware program or join the USHL for a year.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
I don't think he has a desire to play college though. He will just have to wait as long as everybody else in his age group, I don't see the big deal. Play one more year in the Compuware program or join the USHL for a year.

Juicy, wouldn't it be wild if he and Max Jones decided to play with the '98's on that powerhouse Honeybaked team again? I can't see it happening, but boy how boy would it be deliciously delightful to see he and Jones run rampant at the Silverstick together!

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

Couldn't this all be a little bit of misdirection on the part of the 67s... I mean wasn't it Brian Kilrea who put the kid on the map with his "best I've ever seen" proclamation? I'm generally open to conspiracy theories. I don't see the big deal, Hockey Canada will eventually make a mistake with one of these, eventually one of these ES players will turn out to be just average... it's just the law of averages. I have yet to see the kid skate, but if Kilrea says he's the real deal, then I'll take his word for it. Give him his status and lets see what he does.

Sensation

Apr 27, 2009
Cary, NC
@TSNBobMcKenzie
Hearing Sean Day, CDN who plays for Compuware minor midgets, has been granted exceptional status by Hockey Canada and is OHL draft eligible.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
TSNBobMcKenzie Hearing Sean Day, CDN who plays for Compuware minor midgets, has been granted exceptional status by Hockey Canada and is OHL draft eligible.
http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/314417482263842816

TSNBobMcKenzie Expecting an official announcement from Hockey Canada in the next 48 hours, which would allow Day to attend OHL Combine this weekend.
http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/314418115838636033

Congrats to the kid!
Remember, there are plenty of minor hockey rumours and they are nothing more than rumours most of the time.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Wouldn't surprise me if Konecny still went 1st.
It wouldn't surprise me if the 67's were posturing in the event that Day wasn't granted ES.
If they showed their hand and Day wasn't given status, they'd basically be picking a kid and saying "you're the future of our franchise but you were our second choice"..

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
It wouldn't surprise me if the 67's were posturing in the event that Day wasn't granted ES.
If they showed their hand and Day wasn't given status, they'd basically be picking a kid and saying "you're the future of our franchise but you were our second choice"..

Yea that's very possible too.

here's another tweet by Bob:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

OHL draft April 6. OTT 1st pick. Can choose any eligible player, now incl Day. Some believe OTT will take Travis Konecny of Elgin-Middlesex.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I can understand the issue facing Ottawa. Konecny looks like a future top five nhl draft pick...At the same time, you get Day for an extra year.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Day will be a better player than Konecny. I doubt they would make the mistake of not taking Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad