LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
You are telling me that of over the 500 Canadian players playing in Division 1 US collages don't merit more attention from HC? I find it a little too much not to have any USA collage representation at camp. I'm sorry, I'm just not buying it. Some funny things going down at HC.
The fact is that most high-end Canadian players take the CHL route.
You have your exceptions, but for the most part, that's how it is.

There were really three candidates and that's it: Phil Di Giuseppe (Univ. of Michigan, surprised everybody at the December camp in 2011 but has not been good this season), Matthew Peca (Quinnipiac Univ., injured just before the camp and isn't playing as well as he was last season), and Kevin Roy (Northeastern Univ., was having just a decent season at the time of camp, didn't impress during the summer).
Everyone else was either not at the national team level or too unproven.

Also, it's college, not collage.
A collage is a piece of art made up of various smaller pieces grouped together.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
You are telling me that of over the 500 Canadian players playing in Division 1 US collages don't merit more attention from HC? I find it a little too much not to have any USA collage representation at camp. I'm sorry, I'm just not buying it. Some funny things going down at HC.

If they're good enough they'll get an invite. I can't think of one college player who definitely should have been in camp and wasn't.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
^this kid is just so mad at everything for some reason.

THE BEST CANADIAN PLAYERS GO TO THE CHL, THEY DON'T GO TO COLLEGE BECAUSE ITS NOT A LEAGUE MADE FOR DEVELOPING NHL PLAYERS.

No need to yell, silly goose. There have been top flight Junior-aged Canadians go the college route in the past (Toews, Cammalleri, Kariya, Heatley, etc), and there will be in the future.

Never good to yell in absolutes, silly.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
For Day however, happened to catch part of one of his games a few weeks ago. Amazing skater, one of the best I've ever seen. Best in minor hockey. On level if not better than Mcdavid. I'm curious about his shot, didn't see him use it much, and curious how effective it is.

Day has a very heavy shot and gets off very quickly. Reminds me of Ryan Murphy's back when he played Minor Midget.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
The fact is that most high-end Canadian players take the CHL route.
You have your exceptions, but for the most part, that's how it is.

There were really three candidates and that's it: Phil Di Giuseppe (Univ. of Michigan, surprised everybody at the December camp in 2011 but has not been good this season), Matthew Peca (Quinnipiac Univ., injured just before the camp and isn't playing as well as he was last season), and Kevin Roy (Northeastern Univ., was having just a decent season at the time of camp, didn't impress during the summer).
Everyone else was either not at the national team level or too unproven.

Also, it's college, not collage.
A collage is a piece of art made up of various smaller pieces grouped together.

Thanks for correcting my spelling. Fingers type faster than my brain thinks. )))

Cheers dude!

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Update on the ES situation from Jeff Marek of Sportsnet:
JeffMarek Update on 14 year old phenom Sean Day - Expect him to apply for 'exceptional status' for the OHL draft. That application is due by Feb 15 because he plays in a U.S system (Compuware) he had to first appeal to get approval to apply. That approval was granted. This process is under the jurisdiction of Hockey Canada, not the OHL for those who are curious.
http://twitter.com/JeffMarek/status/298809839704997889
http://twitter.com/JeffMarek/status/298810205771276290
http://twitter.com/JeffMarek/status/298810476983377920

So, he's gotten the approval to possibly have a chance to be approved. #bureaucracy

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Hoping Erie ***** the bed for the rest of the season and is able to get Day. Day and McDavid on the same team is a prospects fan dream. Getting to compare these two on a nightly basis would be incredible.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Hoping Erie ***** the bed for the rest of the season and is able to get Day. Day and McDavid on the same team is a prospects fan dream. Getting to compare these two on a nightly basis would be incredible.

That would just be unfair.

The two best OHLers since Tavares (maybe even earlier) on the same team.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

It's just too bad they wouldn't be on an Ontario team in the OHL. Half the games they play would be blacked out on the OHL Action Pack.

Get these two in a London uniform. That'd be fair and best for all parties.

snizzbone*

It's just too bad they wouldn't be on an Ontario team in the OHL. Half the games they play would be blacked out on the OHL Action Pack.

Get these two in a London uniform. That'd be fair and best for all parties.

So give the best guys to London like always?

Day is going to Ottawa anyways.

arsmaster*

How long does this process usually take?

Early April is when Ekblad's exceptional status was announced, will it be any sooner this year?

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
How long does this process usually take?

Early April is when Ekblad's exceptional status was announced, will it be any sooner this year?
Ekblad was announced on 3/31/11 and McDavid on 3/21/12.
I'd assume that if he gets EPS, it'd be closer to the date McDavid was announced, as I believe the PS this year is in early April (6th?).
In 2011, it was in May.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It would be really awesome if Day ended up in Ottawa. Would make me want to go watch them again.

I do believe his mental game is where he may have some growing pains at the next level. There was several instances Day made risky decisions to pinch to attempt to keep the play alive in the offensive zone. The decision sometimes backfired, but only until Day was able to make up for it by using his speed to back check and catch up to the play going into the team’s defensive zone. Obviously against faster competition these mistakes will become amplified.

Read this...reminds me of Karlsson. If Day's skating is as good as they say it is this won't hurt him at the next level.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Interesting, I doubt its due to his skill level..is he any worse than Ekblad or McDavid at 14? Either way I am sure it wont hurt his development.

I heard it was because there is no guarantee he would go first overall, unlike Ekblad and McDavid who were clear locks to be selected first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad