LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
My thoughts exactly.

However when looking back at other 15 year olds who played before the rule came in you have Spezza and Rico Fata. But I guess not every prospect is going to pan out no matter how ahead of the curve they are at 15.

Well there was no chance that Fata would have got exceptional status if they had that rule back then, and I'm not sure Spezza would have either.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
how many Americans have ever asked or gotten exceptional status?

going out on a limb here and will say 0... end discussion.

also, how much interest did Tyler Myers show Canada before his jump?? or same with Jamie Oleksiak? these kids dont need some long history or track record to prove their choices...it usually happens real fast and real close to draft...and usually involves what helps their future career so dont kid yourself, Day will say whatever needed right now to better his career.

Oleksiak was born in Toronto and did attend school there for all that it matters.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I don't really care about what Sean Day the person feels his nationality is. If he wants to play for Canada, I find it odd but whatever. I can't consider him a Canadian hockey player since basically none of his development has come in Canada. I would rather him play for USA than Canada, because that's the country that made him the hockey player that he is.

He's 14 hardly a finished product, lots of development time left.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
He should play for Belgium just to troll everyone in this thread.
I know this post is probably just a joke, but birthright citizenship is pretty much just a North American concept, so he wouldn't really have a choice if he wanted to.
Since he moved to Singapore when he was a year old and neither of his parents have Belgian citizenship (I believe that you either have to be born to a parent with Belgian citizenship or that you stay in the country for an extended period of time to receive any), he doesn't have citizenship either.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
Sean Day plays in America but he is Canadian and is definitely considering the potential of coming over to the OHL.

Geese_Howard*

This guy is a legit generation talent, unbelievable Canadian kid. He doesn't even look like he's trying.

Billy6

Dec 23, 2012
Does anyone have any info on his exceptional player application or when a decision will be made?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Does anyone have any info on his exceptional player application or when a decision will be made?

Mid February is when the process/review will be completed. Not sure if the decision will be made public immediately, but expect to know at the latest sometime in early March. I think it is a foregone conclusion that exceptional status will be granted.

Billy6

Dec 23, 2012
Mid February is when the process/review will be completed. Not sure if the decision will be made public immediately, but expect to know at the latest sometime in early March. I think it is a foregone conclusion that exceptional status will be granted.

Thanks.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton

I feel like HC will grant exceptional status to Day so that he doesnt decide to play for USA in the future, they want to start a relationship now.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I feel like HC will grant exceptional status to Day so that he doesnt decide to play for USA in the future, they want to start a relationship now.

This and to keep him out of USA collage hockey. Hockey Canada seems intent on funneling kids as much as possible away from American collages and into the CHL. Why? Business partnership with the CHL it seems has hockey Canada more preoccupied these days.

Why were there no American collage players on this year's junior team? Not only that, none were invited to camp. At least I didn't notice any on the invite list to camp.

arsmaster*

This and to keep him out of USA collage hockey. Hockey Canada seems intent on funneling kids as much as possible away from American collages and into the CHL. Why? Business partnership with the CHL it seems has hockey Canada more preoccupied these days.

Why were there no American collage players on this year's junior team? Not only that, none were invited to camp. At least I didn't notice any on the invite list to camp.

Because none were good enough to make it, in a lockout year....the only two with a shot were Kevin Roy (who wasn't impressive in the summer series) or Phil DiGiuseppe (who was too much of a tweener to make it).

Small Brain Presence

Because none were good enough to make it, in a lockout year....the only two with a shot were Kevin Roy (who wasn't impressive in the summer series) or Phil DiGiuseppe (who was too much of a tweener to make it).

Was Mike Matheson of BC given any consideration?

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
February 15th is the deadline, as per Darren Dreger last night.
Will it be announced publicly then?
Hard to say because this is a unique situation.
It probably depends who Hockey Canada will be working in conjunction with to determine if he's good enough for ES.
The OHF has waited until the season is over to announce in the past (the last two came at the end of March).

Well, to play for the US in the future he'd either have to wait until he's 18 and apply for citizenship by himself or his parents would have to get citizenship since none of them have US citizenship.

Based on comments from all of them, they have no interest in doing so.

Oh look, you're complaining about a problem you made up again.

Exactly this.

Was Mike Matheson of BC given any consideration?
With the other defensemen available, no.
Next year however, yes, I think he has a decent shot.
I expect he'll be one of a few college kids invited to the summer camp (Jankowski, Shore, maybe Khaira too).

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

You are telling me that of over the 500 Canadian players playing in Division 1 US collages don't merit more attention from HC? I find it a little too much not to have any USA collage representation at camp. I'm sorry, I'm just not buying it. Some funny things going down at HC.

snizzbone*

^this kid is just so mad at everything for some reason.

THE BEST CANADIAN PLAYERS GO TO THE CHL, THEY DON'T GO TO COLLEGE BECAUSE ITS NOT A LEAGUE MADE FOR DEVELOPING NHL PLAYERS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad