LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It's not all of a sudden it's been stated many times before earlier this season if not before on the OHL board and amoung scouts. It wasn't some site it was Day himself and his parents that said he will represent Canada.

You clearly didn't read my post earlier or else you wouldn't have said this..
The rule was made in 06 for Tavares, there was no rule or else Crosby would've gotten it. Before when Modano and etc played you could only lay as a underager if your hometown OHL team allowed you too for them. Then you went in the draft after that one season. There honestly has not been a american good enough recently to get exceptional status, thats why you dont see any. They didnt apply because theyre not good enough, when one comes around and applies, they'll get it.

regardless of when it was put in place, it hasnt happened yet and I still doubt it ever will...

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
how else do you want me to prove it... there has been numerous highly skilled US kids that have played in the CHL and none have ever gotten exceptional status. who knows if any of them ever asked like a Mike Modano, or Pat Lafontaine, but you have never seen a US kid get an exceptional status tag.

As for your 2nd-3rd point, I am not sure what you want me to say about that. I believe the CHL is a great place for players and I never said that US players shouldnt go there. There is a difference between allowing a US kid exceptional status and just having very good US players..
They only implemented the exceptional status with Tavares in 05

Can you name any exceptional 14 year old American players since then?

Last edited:

shello

Mar 5, 2011
NYC
regardless of when it was put in place, it hasnt happened yet and I still doubt it ever will...

Well it was impossible before 05...That should automatically exclude any American prospect before that. After 05 with the rule in place there has not been a single American prospect that has come close to the skill required to be a exceptional status player, period. Galchenyuk has probably been the closest but he didn't apply. Until one actually applies and gets denied you can't make any claim that they'll be denied, there's no reasoning to why you'd think that. It would only be positive for the league to allow one, like I said before it would only attract other american kids and lure them away from the NCAA.

Not sure why you've created some false HC bias that they only accept Canadians and not Americans when there hasn't been any Americans yet. Like they denied John Mcfarland so they deny their own country as well. Like I've said quite a few times now when a American comes along and applies and if he's good enough with no issues, there is no reason or past history to imply that they wouldn't get it. Until then we can only speculate.

never heard it at any game.

How many games have you been too? Because it's been said quite a few times.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
The kid has lived in the US for close to a decade from what I understand. How long of you have to live to get citizenship? The bottom line is nothing indicates the family wants American citizenship, we have Sean and his father saying so on record. Sean and the family consider themselves Canadians living abroad for work purposes, it happens. If Sean starts to try and obtain citizenship or even mentions an nterest in playing for the US then the floodgates fly open and we can have a heated debate. For now I see one American poster being naive to every fact presented to him.

Last edited:

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
And BTW AmericanDream your best argument for exceptional status not being granted to Americans is that for McDavid and Ekblad Hockey Canada had the final call not the OHL. Not sure how it would work if the player applying is American but the point still stands that the OHL treats American and Canadian players the exact same. I'm gonna gift you the Hockey Canada argument out of pity for how bad your current arguments are.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It's the kid's choice and the family has never pursued American citizenship for non-hockey reasons. That's why I don't see an argument here, the family has never felt American enough to get citizenship for reasons outside of who Sean should play hockey for so they should go out and obtain citizenship they don't even want so the kid can play hockey for the country he grew up playing it in?

I don't really care about what Sean Day the person feels his nationality is. If he wants to play for Canada, I find it odd but whatever. I can't consider him a Canadian hockey player since basically none of his development has come in Canada. I would rather him play for USA than Canada, because that's the country that made him the hockey player that he is.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
I don't really care about what Sean Day the person feels his nationality is. If he wants to play for Canada, I find it odd but whatever. I can't consider him a Canadian hockey player since basically none of his development has come in Canada. I would rather him play for USA than Canada, because that's the country that made him the hockey player that he is.

Well there's your problem because you should. You can't force citizenship upon someone. And he still grew up with a Canadian family living abroad. I think your discounting the effect his mother and father had on his hockey career. Have you never met someone who had to live elsewhere for work purposes but still identifies their country as somewhere else?

This argument is tiresome and worn out, I'd love to talk about Sean Day the hockey player, not Sean Day the Canadian or Sean Day the American.

Last edited:

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
Not sure why anyone would think that Sean Day (with Canadian mother and father) would choose the U.S. just because he played most or all of his hockey here. I'm assuming that Sean was born in the Canada and parents moved here for personal/professioal reasons. There is no reason for his parents to promote USA hockey in that situation or for Sean to think USA hockey. If I moved my family right now to Sweden and any of them became good at hockey, I can't see a situation where USA hockey would be pusehed aside by myself or kids, no matter who much Sweden had a hand in their development.

Sean's parents have had just as big of a hand in his development as the Detroit teams he has played for (Little Caesar's and now Compuware) You do not reach the level he is at without a family that has promoted the individual skill development he has developed. I would say that mother and father have had a hand in that smooth stride, either their work with him or paying for someone to work with him.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Well there's your problem because you should. You can't force citizenship upon someone. And he still grew up with a Canadian family living abroad. I think your discounting the effect his mother and father had on his hockey career. Have you never met someone who had to live elsewhere for work purposes but still identifies their country as somewhere else?

I'm not talking about his citizenship, or what his parents feel like. My only interest in him is as a hockey player, and to me he is clearly an American hockey player. What he is as a person I don't know, or care.

Not sure why anyone would think that Sean Day (with Canadian mother and father) would choose the U.S. just because he played most or all of his hockey here. I'm assuming that Sean was born in the Canada and parents moved here for personal/professioal reasons. There is no reason for his parents to promote USA hockey in that situation or for Sean to think USA hockey. If I moved my family right now to Sweden and any of them became good at hockey, I can't see a situation where USA hockey would be pusehed aside by myself or kids, no matter who much Sweden had a hand in their development.

Sean's parents have had just as big of a hand in his development as the Detroit teams he has played for (Little Caesar's and now Compuware) You do not reach the level he is at without a family that has promoted the individual skill development he has developed. I would say that mother and father have had a hand in that smooth stride, either their work with him or paying for someone to work with him.

Day wasn't born in Canada, and it doesn`t seem that he ever lived in Canada. If having Canadian parents involved in your hockey career makes you Canadian (and I do not believe that it does), someone should tell USA hockey that the sons of Canadian NHLers they seem to select with regularity belong to Canada.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
I'm not talking about his citizenship, or what his parents feel like. My only interest in him is as a hockey player, and to me he is clearly an American hockey player. What he is as a person I don't know, or care.

Day wasn't born in Canada, and it doesn`t seem that he ever lived in Canada. If having Canadian parents involved in your hockey career makes you Canadian (and I do not believe that it does), someone should tell USA hockey that the sons of Canadian NHLers they seem to select with regularity belong to Canada.

So your answer is totalitarian control and deciding who players play for, for them? Since you have no care for them as a person, it seems like this is exactly what you want. Seems like kind of a slippery slope.

The kid is 14 years old, let's worry about how good he is as a player before worrying so much about who he represents years down the road. Because as of today, there is nothing to discuss, we know which country he wants to represent and we know the only country he can represent as of today.

Last edited:

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica

How do you feel about Galchenyuk then? Lived and learned hockey in Russia till he was 15. Clearly he is a Russian player. How can you cheer for such a traitor?

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
So your answer is totalitarian control and deciding who players play for, for them? Since you have no care for them as a person, it seems like this is exactly what you want. Seems like kind of a slippery slope.

What I'm saying it that if I ran Hockey Canada, I wouldn't select him for any Canadian team. It doesn't seem fair to me.

The kid is 14 years old, let's worry about how good he is as a player before worrying so much about who he represents years down the road. Because as of today, there is nothing to discuss, we know which country he wants to represent and we know the only country he can represent as of today.

I'm not worried about what country he will represent, it's obvious that he will play for Canada if he is good enough. I am saying that I would prefer that he play for the country that trained him in hockey. You're right though, how he turns out as a hockey player is more significant and also mainly the point of the thread.

How do you feel about Galchenyuk then? Lived and learned hockey till he was 15. Clearly he is a Russian player. How can you cheer for such a traitor?

I don't cheer for him, as I'm Canadian. I think it's basically a joke that Galchenyuk plays for USA, and if I was American I would be somewhat embarrassed by it.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
what I pretty much meant to say was..

Your posts are one of two things:

1)Trolling: hoping to provoke readers into an emotional response, knowing its false

2) Sour grapes about this young star playing in Canada, potentially crushing your team somewhere down the road.

* I personally believe its #1.

Last edited:

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
you mean right around the time exceptional status was being mentioned...

The exceptional status ruling is a moot point. Why are you even arguing this tact?

The exceptional status rule was designed to apply to very talented Canadian players who fall into a specific gap where their only choices in Canada at that age lie in either playing in inferior junior A or midget leagues; granting them the opportunity to play major junior a year early prevents them from instead choosing to play prep hockey in the US at a place like Shattuck-Saint Mary's for example. The rule was designed to prevent exceptional CANADIAN players (like Crosby) from ever having to make that choice again.

Of course it won't; it doesn't apply to American players.

Sean Day is a Canadian citizen complete with a Canadian passport; he is legally considered a Canadian due that both his parents are Canadians.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
It doesn't matter if he is Canadian or American the kid will still represent Canada

Who cares where this kid will eventually play, he is 14 and has alot of time to still develop, maybe for the better or the worse? Who knows.....

Now, what will be the first tournament where he will be invited to by either USA or Canada? The U17 next Xmas as an underage? McDavid is there this year with Ontario. After that perhaps the Hlinka? Should be interesting....

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
I still find it hilarious that there is usually 2-3 players on any given "Team USA" that are a son of a Canadian NHL player who is not living in the States.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad