LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It really just sounds like you're giving yourself false hope with past cases of players that had to pick between being a Canadian or American, which aren't even close to being close to Day's. He and his parents have said themselves that they're Canadian, his two parents are even from Canada, why would he be saying this only to switch, when he'd get exceptional status regardless?

Like bruinsfan46 said there hasn't been any Americans close enough in skill to be considered for 1st overall. Galchenyuk was the closest but he didn't and he still went 1st overall in his draft. So you can't make that statement that "no americans have gone first, end of story". Exceptional status was only formed with Tavares a little while ago, before that it was just if the player was good enough he can play with his hometown OHL team as a underager, then get drafted the following year. I'm sure if/when a American applies and if he's good enough he'll be granted.

I already said Day can play for who he wants to play for, and I will be fine with it...its his choice. Just saying there is usually smoke and mirror acts going on this far away from any WJC or U18 tourney to lock this kid in to any country. He has been in the US for too long to simply be this one sided and it makes no sense. The only thing that does make sense is him playing the good Canadian so he can get exceptional status. I really doubt that the CHL would ever want an American kid to get exceptional status...I just cant see that happening.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
NYC
I already said Day can play for who he wants to play for, and I will be fine with it...its his choice. Just saying there is usually smoke and mirror acts going on this far away from any WJC or U18 tourney to lock this kid in to any country. He has been in the US for too long to simply be this one sided and it makes no sense. The only thing that does make sense is him playing the good Canadian so he can get exceptional status. I really doubt that the CHL would ever want an American kid to get exceptional status...I just cant see that happening.

I fail to understand why you can't see the CHL giving an American exceptional status. If anything it would attract more American kids to come over and play in the CHL knowing that they'll treat Americans equally. If a kid is good enough, with no issues (I.E Ho-Sang with not wanting to play for certain teams, etc) and applies, Canadian or American, he'll get it.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
yeah I read his biography...

"Tyler Myers played hockey in Texas, but didnt know how to skate. He didnt understand what a stick was and how to move the puck. Before leaving to Canada with his family, Tyler was only 3'8 inches and was considered a circus freak. But the moment he crossed the border, Tyler grew to nearly 6'6 inches, had a 90mph slap shot, skated like the wind, and clearly knew what a stick was...his catch phrase also changed instantly from "ya'll" to "take off eh".... something like that I suppose??

Tyler Myers was an all-star player before he even skated in Canada. He was an excellent athlete prior to that as well, and assuming he wouldnt of continued to play hockey is silly as well. Tell that to Chris Brown, Colin Jacobs, Stefan Noesen, etc...all different amount of years in Texas, but all doing okay playing hockey...
Born in Houston, Texas, Myers moved to Calgary with his father and stepmother when he was 10 years old. He has dual citizenship but made the decision a few years ago that he would represent Canada internationally. It wasn't a decision he took lightly, given the career-long implications, not to mention that he'll have a lot more competition from other Canadian players to make future Olympic or World Cup teams.

"I didn't base my decision on what team was going to be easier to make or what teams could give me opportunities in the future," Myers said. "I just felt that had I not moved to Canada, I would not be where I am today. I feel like I owe Canada a lot. It's such a big hockey country. I honestly do believe I'd be playing a different sport had I stayed in Texas."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=lebrun_pierre&id=4727686

Feel free to continue being ridiculous and ignoring player quotes, though.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Therein lies the problem with debating with you. You're blinded by a Canadian bias you've created in your own mind.

I am actually pro CHL in every way, shape or form when it comes to USA Hockey and the issues that bothers me. You should know that by now.

Simply stating that the CHL would not pick a US kid for exceptional status is my belief and nothing created in my mind. It will never happen.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
I am actually pro CHL in every way, shape or form when it comes to USA Hockey and the issues that bothers me. You should know that by now.

Simply stating that the CHL would not pick a US kid for exceptional status is my belief and nothing created in my mind. It will never happen.

What leads you to this conclusion? If they had no interest in giving a worthy American exceptional player status, I don't see why so many Canadian based teams would have top prospect Americans on their roster. As other have said, granting an American exceptional status would make them that much more of a viable option down the road for other top American prospects to consider. It's a win/win for the CHL.

I'm just having a hard time trying to see where you're coming from.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
What leads you to this conclusion? If they had no interest in giving a worthy American exceptional player status, I don't see why so many Canadian based teams would have top prospect Americans on their roster. As other have said, granting an American exceptional status would make them that much more of a viable option down the road for other top American prospects to consider. It's a win/win for the CHL.

I'm just having a hard time trying to see where you're coming from.

I agree that it makes sense for growth of the game, but this is still the Canadian Hockey League, not the North American Hockey League... and whether you like it or not, they still want to feel as though they (Canada) only develope those generational talents...or close to that level of talent. I call it ego or holding on to that belief...you can say I am wrong, and thats fine, but I havent been proven incorrect yet as it hasnt happened yet. I have no idea if any US kid has asked for exceptional status, but I dont see it a promising quest for an American kid since it has never happened and I personally doubt it ever will..I am pro CHL way more than most US posters, and I can have my opinion on this which I will stand by as I doubt I will ever be proven wrong..

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
his parents can get it if they wanted to....and who knows, they might have done so already...

What's the rink chatter say in this regard? I find it interesting that you say you haven't heard any talk about Day representing Canada (the only country he can represent according to all verifiable sources) at the rink. What else does the chatter say? It must be good.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
I agree that it makes sense for growth of the game, but this is still the Canadian Hockey League, not the North American Hockey League... and whether you like it or not, they still want to feel as though they (Canada) only develope those generational talents...or close to that level of talent. I call it ego or holding on to that belief...you can say I am wrong, and thats fine, but I havent been proven incorrect yet as it hasnt happened yet. I have no idea if any US kid has asked for exceptional status, but I dont see it a promising quest for an American kid since it has never happened and I personally doubt it ever will..I am pro CHL way more than most US posters, and I can have my opinion on this which I will stand by as I doubt I will ever be proven wrong..

How would you prove that's the case then? I'd love to see something other than your own opinion saying "Americans are not worth CHL's time"

Even KHL teams draft north american players in their entry drafts. It is totally up to the players to decide where he feels he'd get more developed.

Seth Jones had the option of going to NCAA, but he chose the CHL because he feels it would benefit him the most. Before you dish out the bribery stuff from the Winterhawks, his dad is Popeye Jones, a former NBA player, money is not an issued for him especially since he would've got a full ride anyways.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

Fair enough. We'll agree to disagree. I hope that one day an American that deserves exceptional status applies, so we can see just who is right.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
What's the rink chatter say in this regard? You say you haven't heard any talk about Day representing Canada (the only country he can represent according to all verifiable sources) at the rink. What else does the chatter say?

hasnt been any chatter on the issue...ever.

thats why it is odd all of a sudden that he states he is 100% Canadian, when nothing was ever talked prior.

As one of the likely 1-2 full time posters in the US that actually gets to see this kid play, we have never heard a sniff about him representing Canada, it has always been assumed he will play for the US...(people always though his folks got citizenship)

Just saw a bunch of games for the HPHL Showcase in Detroit and back here in Dundee IL...still havent heard anything about Day playing for Canada outside of Twitter or whatever site that was on..

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
How would you prove that's the case then? I'd love to see something other than your own opinion saying "Americans are not worth CHL's time"

Even KHL teams draft north american players in their entry drafts. It is totally up to the players to decide where he feels he'd get more developed.

Seth Jones had the option of going to NCAA, but he chose the CHL because he feels it would benefit him the most. Before you dish out the bribery stuff from the Winterhawks, his dad is Popeye Jones, a former NBA player, money is not an issued for him especially since he would've got a full ride anyways.

how else do you want me to prove it... there has been numerous highly skilled US kids that have played in the CHL and none have ever gotten exceptional status. who knows if any of them ever asked like a Mike Modano, or Pat Lafontaine, but you have never seen a US kid get an exceptional status tag.

As for your 2nd-3rd point, I am not sure what you want me to say about that. I believe the CHL is a great place for players and I never said that US players shouldnt go there. There is a difference between allowing a US kid exceptional status and just having very good US players..

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Just saw a bunch of games for the HPHL Showcase in Detroit and back here in Dundee IL...still havent heard anything about Day playing for Canada outside of Twitter or whatever site that was on..
The kid himself said it on Twitter, his parents said it in a Yahoo interview, and Darren Dreger said it on TSN...

All useless sources though.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
NYC
hasnt been any chatter on the issue...ever.

thats why it is odd all of a sudden that he states he is 100% Canadian, when nothing was ever talked prior.

As one of the likely 1-2 full time posters in the US that actually gets to see this kid play, we have never heard a sniff about him representing Canada, it has always been assumed he will play for the US...(people always though his folks got citizenship)

It's not all of a sudden it's been stated many times before earlier this season if not before on the OHL board and amoung scouts. It wasn't some site it was Day himself and his parents that said he will represent Canada.
how else do you want me to prove it... there has been numerous highly skilled US kids that have played in the CHL and none have ever gotten exceptional status. who knows if any of them ever asked like a Mike Modano, or Pat Lafontaine, but you have never seen a US kid get an exceptional status tag.

As for your 2nd-3rd point, I am not sure what you want me to say about that. I believe the CHL is a great place for players and I never said that US players shouldnt go there. There is a difference between allowing a US kid exceptional status and just having very good US players..

You clearly didn't read my post earlier or else you wouldn't have said this..
The rule was made in 06 for Tavares, there was no rule or else Crosby would've gotten it. Before when Modano and etc played you could only lay as a underager if your hometown OHL team allowed you too for them. Then you went in the draft after that one season. There honestly has not been a american good enough recently to get exceptional status, thats why you dont see any. They didnt apply because theyre not good enough, when one comes around and applies, they'll get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad