LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I heard it was because there is no guarantee he would go first overall, unlike Ekblad and McDavid who were clear locks to be selected first.

I don't see why that should matter...if he goes #2, does it make a difference?

Anyone else applied for exceptional status and been rejected? I think John McFarland was.

arsmaster*

I heard it was because there is no guarantee he would go first overall, unlike Ekblad and McDavid who were clear locks to be selected first.

I imagine that would be part of Hockey Canada's due diligence process.

If he's not exceptional enough that all of the teams who missed the playoffs would take him first, then he shouldn't be granted exceptional status.

That's the point of naming players exceptional IMO. It has to be a no-brainer.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto

Anyone else applied for exceptional status and been rejected? I think John McFarland was.

Yeah he's the only one I can think of, might be the only person to ever be rejected by Hockey Canada actually.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

arsmaster*

Seems like Day's somewhat lethargic style of play has come back to haunt him. Which, in a way, makes you think what he would be if he actually gave it his all.

If he does indeed get rejected exceptional status, will be interesting to see where he winds up next season. The USHL definitely isn't a stretch.

Lethargic vs understated = a very fine line

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
He only had 11 points in 25 regular season games. I kind of get why Konecny is considered a more sure thing, forwards usually are. Everything I read about Day makes it seem like his physical talents are just off the charts though, it was Kilrea who had such great praise for him and he's still with the '67s in some role.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Lethargic vs understated = a very fine line

True, but when watching him you get the impression that he's somewhat bored/disinterested. I don't know if those evaluating deem that a red flag from a maturity standpoint.

Personally, I just think he's bored with minor hockey. When he has gone full throttle he has absolutely wowed and dominated. I imagine playing in the OHL next year would bring out the best of him. I don't know anything about him personality-wise, but skill set and strength wise, I think he's definitely ready.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Adam T. said it beautifully, he really caught that poor kid with a good shoulder at the 16:28 mark. Kid never stood a chance.

EDIT: And wow, completely forgot that this is page 6 and Adam T.'s response was on page 1... :laugh:

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

There is no decision yet regarding Day. Rumours are swirling.

Not including Day, there have been 6 people rejected ES status. 3 granted the status. Im not going to name the rejected candidates though. McFarland was one of them , but thats well known.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I think Ho-Sang was last year

I think Ho-Sang may have been turned down, too. He'd claimed he'd been applying...and then went silent...then said later he hadn't applied. But I suspected he'd applied and been rejected :dunno:

I had no idea Livingston applied...was he even that great a minor midget player. I don't remember him being "exceptional" at all...but maybe i have a short memory or something.

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
livingston was a beast when he was younger, he played with my age group ( 89) for pretty much his whole life once he left the richmondhill stars. He came to YSE as a man amongst boys. Now he trains out of my facility and still is a big guy. could use more work ethic

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
I think Ho-Sang may have been turned down, too. He'd claimed he'd been applying...and then went silent...then said later he hadn't applied. But I suspected he'd applied and been rejected :dunno:

I had no idea Livingston applied...was he even that great a minor midget player. I don't remember him being "exceptional" at all...but maybe i have a short memory or something.

Hosang didn't apply. I don't think his parents thought he was ready at the time.

As per Sean Day, people often forget the extensive process that these potential OHL players go through. He wouldn't be denied just because 1st overall. Its also a mental evaluation through this whole process with all the interviews, essay and the combination of everything together.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
The word I got last week while I was at the OHL Cup backed up what I had been hearing for the past month or so. OHL teams were not impressed enough to be completely sold on taking him early in the draft. It extended beyond his performance on the ice.

As for Hockey Canada, people can say all they want about how not going 1st overall shouldnt matter, but how do you think it would look if he got passed over at #2 or even possibly #3 as well? Not exactly the script you write when you deem a player exceptional.

Things can obviously change but I expect Konecny and Strome to be the first two players taken.

No doubt the OHL doesn't like the idea of him ending up in the USHL though, so it's not over til it's over. In my mind this is a big factor, probably the biggest in Day's favour.

People I spoke to around the league didn't exactly sound upset at the notion that his application would be denied. Take that for what it's worth.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
The word I got last week while I was at the OHL Cup backed up what I had been hearing for the past month or so. OHL teams were not impressed enough to be completely sold on taking him early in the draft. It extended beyond his performance on the ice.

As for Hockey Canada, people can say all they want about how not going 1st overall shouldnt matter, but how do you think it would look if he got passed over at #2 or even possibly #3 as well? Not exactly the script you write when you deem a player exceptional.

Things can obviously change but I expect Konecny and Strome to be the first two players taken.

No doubt the OHL doesn't like the idea of him ending up in the USHL though, so it's not over til it's over. In my mind this is a big factor, probably the biggest in Day's favour.

Hockey Canada does not like to chase away high end potential for its elite programs.
They make exceptions all over the board and would especially hate losing a player, that would pay dividends later, to the USA program now.
Thats where this ends up and would be cause for serious debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad