LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

snizzbone*

This guy is large for his age. He will probably tank later, as far as becoming an NHL All-Star is concerned.

6'3" is large for even the NHL, his skating is also extremely good for a player of his size. There aren't many who can move like he does.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
6'3" is large for even the NHL, his skating is also extremely good for a player of his size. There aren't many who can move like he does.

Don't agree about the bolded part. 6'3'' is pretty good, but it's not that huge for a NHL defenseman. But for a kid that's probably still growing, it's quite much.

His skating is great, seems just so effortless...

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
I can understand the issue facing Ottawa. Konecny looks like a future top five nhl draft pick...At the same time, you get Day for an extra year.

Was thinking about this the other day and it might not be true. If Day jumps to the NHL as an 18-year-old, which is possible with his size, and Konecny gets sent back for an extra year, things even out. Or if Day stays an extra one and Konecny stays an extra two. Then again, Konecny could also play immediately depending on how his development goes. Or they could both bust :sarcasm:

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
Crazy he was granted it when he will not even be the top pick. Are those other two players really good or is this an indictment on the hype machine behind Day?

MyNameIsNobody*

Crazy he was granted it when he will not even be the top pick. Are those other two players really good or is this an indictment on the hype machine behind Day?

Have all you guys been reading the trickled news from this weekends combine? this is not hype...this is dominance against players 1 year older ... I didnt read anyone else dominating this event like Day did...was Konecny at the combine???

Ottawa management need to wake up and pick the best player available with their first pick....

Pittsburgh pick MAF first overall because they needed a "goalie" - well - the best player available was Eric Staal...how is that working out???

Ottawa needs to pick the BEST player available...Day ...thats it

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010

Getting exceptional status should have nothing to do with anyone but Day himself.

Think of it this way:
In one hypothetical scenario, this year's OHL draft is one of the best ever, and Day is guaranteed not to be selected #1 overall.
In another hypothetical scenario, this year's OHL draft is incredibly weak, and Day is #1 without question.

In both scenarios, Day is the exact same player, with the exact same potential, and will have the exact same impact in the OHL should he be granted exceptional status. Should he be denied exceptional status in the first scenario because there happens to be a few other elite prospects available?

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Whether he's the top pick or not is yet to be determined.

And all due respect to Konecny, but I don't really see how it can even be close since I think there are at least two 97's better than him (Strome and Spencer).
I'm not really buying the rumours.

when is the draft? Is it the same date for Ohl, Lhjmq, Whl? and the import one?
The OHL PS is April 6th, while the WHL Bantam Draft is May 2nd and the QMJHL Draft is June 8th.
The Import Draft happens at the end of June after the NHL Draft.

IMCanadian

Mar 18, 2010
I was at the first scrimmage this morning and Day lived up to his billing. Excellent skater and very poised with the puck. He had three highlight reel end to end rushes, one of them ending in a top shelf goal. I didn't get to see Konecny play in the next scrimmage but if Ottawa is taking him over Day then he must be amazing. Sounds like the 67s and Otters are in a no lose position.

Canuck71*

His skating, every facet of it is out of this world. Definitely think this kid will live up to the hype, he makes it seem effortless carrying the puck. Can't believe Ottawa is going to pass on this future #1 pick.

Sidenote, I do find it odd that Day is committed to Hockey Canada considering he has never played minor hockey in Canada. Thrilled to have him on Team Canada in the future but I find it odd that wouldn't represent Team USA.

aef1400

Mar 20, 2013
His skating, every facet of it is out of this world. Definitely think this kid will live up to the hype, he makes it seem effortless carrying the puck. Can't believe Ottawa is going to pass on this future #1 pick.

Sidenote, I do find it odd that Day is committed to Hockey Canada considering he has never played minor hockey in Canada. Thrilled to have him on Team Canada in the future but I find it odd that wouldn't represent Team USA.[/QUOTE]

He is not an American Citizen, nor are his parents. They are both Canadian.

Milan the God*

Bob McKenzie says it looks like not only will the 67s pass on Sean Day, but the Otters will as well.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Do you believe everything you read in this forum?:shakehead

I was under the impression the title implied that both Tavares and Livingston had applied for exceptional status. It isn't complete bollocks because it was certainly true for Tavares.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Bob McKenzie says it looks like not only will the 67s pass on Sean Day, but the Otters will as well.

Makes sense, possible generational talents are over-rated anyway. Some kid who might not make the NHL will probably better anyway, they'll have them for 5 years or so.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Did they not have to give up their 1st round pick due to that big penalty imposed by the OHL?

Ah yes they did. I don't know who's going to get him. If McDavid wasn't in Erie, I don't think Day would have wanted to go there, and if they don't want him all the better.

I will laugh so hard if Day stills ends up going to one of the big four (Windsor, Kitchener, London, Ottawa) after Ottawa passes on him. He won't and shouldn't fall that far but if he's not getting picked top two I could see him deciding to be a lot more picky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad