LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
That's not true. Most of them are good skaters, not elite skaters.

Hutson will be considered a good skater at the NHL level in a few years if he continues to work on his skating. He won't be considered a good skater because of his speed or how smooth he looks, but because of how agile and shifty he is on skate.

In the world championship against professional players, he showed his skating won't be an issue for creating offense

Quinn Hughes isn't an elite skater? Girard isn't an elite skater? Of guys that size, I think only Krug is a guy I can think of who wasn't an elite skater. Matt Grzelcyk maybe also.

He has short and choppy skating, and is the path to him being in the NHL, being a smaller Gustafsson? Would assume he needs to be able to play some resemblance of defense.

Just like you can grab this clip and say he is a bad skater.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Quinn Hughes isn't an elite skater? Girard isn't an elite skater? Of guys that size, I think only Krug is a guy I can think of who wasn't an elite skater. Matt Grzelcyk maybe also.

He has short and choppy skating, and is the path to him being in the NHL, being a smaller Gustafsson? Would assume he needs to be able to play some resemblance of defense.

I said most of them aren't elite skaters. Hughes and Makar obviously are elite skaters.
Krug, Fox, and Ellis aren't elite skaters.

Hutson does need to work on his backward skating ability, but that clip doesn't even prove that. He got faked and took the wrong turn.

His success in the NHL will also be based on his offense, not how good he is at defending. Hughes isn't good at defending, and he's still a top-10 dman according to most.

Reactions: Deaner

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I said most of them aren't elite skaters. Hughes and Makar obviously are elite skaters.
Krug, Fox, and Ellis aren't elite skaters.

Hutson does need to work on his backward skating ability, but that clip doesn't even prove that. He got faked and took the wrong turn.

His success in the NHL will also be based on his offense, not how good he is at defending. Hughes isn't good at defending, and he's still a top-10 dman according to most
I would consider Hutson to be the worst skater, and the clear smallest of those names, at the same age. When stuff like Top 3 re-draft is thrown around, this kind of commentary just has to happen.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont

Not sure the point you are making. Anyone can get beat. I even was suggesting that with my "Just like you can grab this clip and say he is a bad skater."

If you watch entire games you'll see many of things to like, and many things to dislike. In regards to skating, I think there are more things I dislike, and some clips aren't going to dissuade me from that opinion. Will be something to pay attention to this year at BU and see how it improves.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Adam Fox was 5’10.75” & 185 at the 2016 NHL Draft Combine, that’s a bit undersized but nothing like Hutson.

Hutson was 5’8.25” & 158 at the 2022 Combine.

Samuel Girard was 5’9” & 160 at the 2016 Combine.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
That's not true. Most of them are good skaters, not elite skaters.

Hutson will be considered a good skater at the NHL level in a few years if he continues to work on his skating. He won't be considered a good skater because of his speed or how smooth he looks, but because of how agile and shifty he is on skate.

In the world championship against professional players, he showed his skating won't be an issue for creating offense

A 3 on 3 against that elite hockey nation Germany?

Reactions: Szechwan

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
A 3 on 3 against that elite hockey nation Germany?
Its a 1 on 1 around the board where he creates space for himself because of his great edge work.

Basically does the same thing here against Nylander at 5 on 5.

Not exactly related to what is discussed above, but a couple of nice clips that was posted on the habs board during worlds

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Adam Fox was 5’10.75” & 185 at the 2016 NHL Draft Combine, that’s a bit undersized but nothing like Hutson.

Hutson was 5’8.25” & 158 at the 2022 Combine.

Samuel Girard was 5’9” & 160 at the 2016 Combine.
Yeah and I would say Girard is a much better skater than Hutson currently. Fox also has 2.5 inches and 30 pounds. There isn't a real comparison of a defender at that size with that level of skating.

Reactions: wetcoast

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Yeah and I would say Girard is a much better skater than Hutson currently. Fox also has 2.5 inches and 30 pounds. There isn't a real comparison of a defender at that size with that level of skating.
I remember the Girard draft very well, Habs traded away their 2 snds to get Shaw, I wanted Girard and Debrincat lol. Anyway, what you're saying now was pretty similar to what was being said about Girard at the time and the reason why they both went much lower than their talent level.

When you get a talented player like Hutson as the last pick in the 2nd round there are obviously going to be flaws. He has drastically improved on them since being drafted and I expect that trajectory to maintain itself. Dominating the NCAA the way he did during his D+1 is pretty crazy, lets not forget the NCAA average age is around 21 years old so basically young men.

Now for the 3rd overall thing, ya, he is not 3rd overall in a redraft lol. But would it be so crazy to say top 10? I mean look at the season he just had.

No, he is not a perfect player but who is at 18-19 years old?

He's definitely one of the most exciting prospects in hockey right now.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Is it so heretical to suggest Hutson try playing wing when he turns pro? He has all the offensive ability anyone could want and as a wing he wouldn't have to defend the front of the net or really be as concerned with board battles. Given his play a defender he'd probably be decent defensively as a winger. As good as he has been in college he seems like a bit of a square peg in a round hole, even if he's a really shiny square peg.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I remember the Girard draft very well, Habs traded away their 2 snds to get Shaw, I wanted Girard and Debrincat lol. Anyway, what you're saying now was pretty similar to what was being said about Girard at the time and the reason why they both went much lower than their talent level.

When you get a talented player like Hutson as the last pick in the 2nd round there are obviously going to be flaws. He has drastically improved on them since being drafted and I expect that trajectory to maintain itself. Dominating the NCAA the way he did during his D+1 is pretty crazy, lets not forget the NCAA average age is around 21 years old so basically young men.

Now for the 3rd overall thing, ya, he is not 3rd overall in a redraft lol. But would it be so crazy to say top 10? I mean look at the season he just had.

Who’s he replacing in the top 10 of a redraft? Certainly none of the 4 dmen.

Reactions: TLEH

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Who’s he replacing in the top 10 of a redraft? Certainly none of the 4 dmen.
It's debatable at the very least. Obviously won't be unanimous but he's in that discussion.

Look guys I get that Habs fans overvalue their prospects but you don't need to go to the opposite side of the spectrum because it's annoying lol. The reality is he just had a record breaking season in the NCAA but has flaws that need to be worked on.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I agree he doesn't skate as well as Girard but he probably has a better overall offensive skillset.

That being said all the top 3 or top 10 in a redraft is just way too premature as we are only 1 year out and any "redraft" probably will have a lot of hits and misses even in the top 10 IMO.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
It's debatable at the very least. Obviously won't be unanimous but he's in that discussion.

Look guys I get that Habs fans overvalue their prospects but you don't need to go to the opposite side of the spectrum because it's annoying lol. The reality is he just had a record breaking season in the NCAA but has flaws that need to be worked on.
I don’t think it’s debatable. He’s not in the top 10 of a redraft, imo, not even close. That’s not an insult that the rest of the world isn’t on board with the coronation.

Reactions: TLEH

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Remember when the hype was Slafkovsky going into last years rookie camp and Hutson was the one who looked like the star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad