LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Hutson clearly has issues in his own end due to lack of strength and poor backwards skating.

Makar, to those that watched him in his Freshman year, wasn't Makar, that's why he opted to go back for his Sophomore season and then he dominated the league but he has the speed, skating that Hutson can only dream of so hard to compare the 2 until Hutson improves his speed, skating, strength, mass issues.

The exciting thing for Hab fans is if Hutson can continue to progress over the next few years, then look out.
I wouldn't be surprised if he had a Krug type of career but still alot to shake out here.

Reactions: montreal

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009

"He's definitely a special one," Coronato said. "He's got a ton of skill. His offensive instincts are definitely one of the best that I've seen. He's so deceptive with his skating, with his hands, with his eyes ... he does it all. It's great to see him doing well."

He's a student of the game who has impressed United States coach David Quinn.

"He's as electric and dynamic as he was in college in this tournament," said Quinn, also coach of the San Jose Sharks. "The thing I like about him is I think he learns quickly about how he has to adapt his game to another level. He's a coachable kid. He works hard. You can see that his confidence is growing with the puck".

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You saw the highs of Hutson in that OT, almost singlehandedly winning the game on multiple occasions.

then the lows, on that play.

Man, whenever Hutson touched the puck though, I was squirming because I know how dangerous he is with space.
He had such confidence with the puck. Went 1 on 2 and got a couple good scoring chances. He's built for 3 on 3 hockey. Fun to watch. Great tournament for him.

Reactions: Doublechin

ijuka

May 14, 2016

It's strange to me how, with all the focus on skating and speed in the league, defensemen seem to be becoming worse and worse at skating backward. Forward skating is far inferior to backward skating for defending, yet for whatever reason, players are really bad at skating backward nowadays.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005

Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that he's one of the youngest defenseman out there playing against men? He just turned 19, of course he will have to adapt and keep improving his mobility. Do people think Fantilli with be a bust cause he's looked below average in that tournament?

He's not NHL ready and only idiots would say otherwise, but to say people are concerned about a late 2nd round pick? I mean come on... He's a rough gem that needs to be polished for sure

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
It's strange to me how, with all the focus on skating and speed in the league, defensemen seem to be becoming worse and worse at skating backward. Forward skating is far inferior to backward skating for defending, yet for whatever reason, players are really bad at skating backward nowadays.
It's called forward angling and it's not inferior to skating backwards(time and place for both obvi), it's a technique used to defend and take away space with fwd skating and angling inside out, it's alot quicker than just skating backwards and allows D to force the puck carrier into a decision at the blue line alot easier than just playing the rush skating backwards. That's why you see all the new defensemen coming into the league doing it and it's extremely effective. Lane excels at it, this is one example of him undercutting his angle and making a mistake, the issue is he didn't flip his hips to backwards in his recovery, if he does that he can still play Tiffels and probably get stick on puck. Kid's 19, relax, he's going to make mistakes, learn from them and get better..... that's literally development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad