LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I don’t think it’s debatable. He’s not in the top 10 of a redraft, imo, not even close. That’s not an insult that the rest of the world isn’t on board with the coronation.
So a guy that just scored 48 points as a dman in the NCAA in his D+1 isn't in discussion in the top 10 of a redraft? Coool beans

Reactions: viceroy

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
You just know something good will happen everytime he gets the puck on his stick.
What % of his time on ice will he have the puck? 10-15%? Less? Guys need to play without the puck for their clubs to win. If Hutson values his play without the puck as he does with it, then he will develop into a really good player. If he doesn’t truly see the importance of playing play without the puck then he’s not going to help his nhl club win.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
What % of his time on ice will he have the puck? 10-15%? Less? Guys need to play without the puck for their clubs to win. If Hutson values his play without the puck as he does with it, then he will develop into a really good player. If he doesn’t truly see the importance of playing play without the puck then he’s not going to help his nhl club win.
Looks like you doesn’t know much about Hutson or saw him play a lot.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Looks like you doesn’t know much about Hutson or saw him play a lot.
Yup. Only seen his highlights, which are all of him with the puck and he looks good. He’s very small though and a D. He will need to value his play without the puck as much (likely more actually) as he does with it to be an nhl player who helps his club win.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
So a guy that just scored 48 points as a dman in the NCAA in his D+1 isn't in discussion in the top 10 of a redraft? Coool beans
Wheeler’s redraft of 2022, going by his lasted Top 50 drafted prospects, with Slafkovsky graduated:

2022 rank (overall rank in Top 50 in parentheses) he also puts them in tiers
Tier 2 (2-7)
#1 (6) Cooley
Tier 3 (8-29)
#2 (8) Nemec
#3 (9) Jirecek
#4 (13) Gauthier
#5 (14) Wright
#6 (22) Korchinski
#7 (23) Snuggerud
#8 (24) Savoie
#9 (25) Kulich
#10 (26) Mintyukov
#11 (27) Hutson
Tier 4 (30-50)
#12 (30) Kasper
#13 (32) Mateychuk
#14 (40) Ohgren
#15 (43) Dumais
#16 (45) McGroarty
#17 (48) Yurov
#18 (50) Nazar

Honorable Mentions from the 2022 Draft (in alphabetical order out of a total of 77 players)
Owen Beck, C
Lian Bichsel, LHD
Filip Bystedt, C
Seamus Casey, RHD
Jagger Firkus, RW
Nathan Gaucher, C
Conor Geekie, C
David Goyette, C
Isaac Howard, LW
Joakim Kemell, RW
Brad Lambert, C/RW
Jonathan Lekkerimaki, RW
Tristan Luneau, RHD
Filip Mesar, RW
Ivan Miroshnichenko, LW
Ty Nelson, RHD
Noah Östlund, C
Owen Pickering, LHD

So Wheeler nearly has him in the Top 10 (without Slaf included). Granted Wheeler loooves undersized offensive defenseman, so he’s a guy who would re-rank Hutson generously.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Reminds me of the Johnny Gaudreau hate back in the day. “Too small” “Not heavy enough” “Not an elite skater”. Yet at every level he just kept putting up numbers. Why even bother where he goes in a redraft, its next to irrelevent Only 1 year later

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Reminds me of the Johnny Gaudreau hate back in the day. “Too small” “Not heavy enough” “Not an elite skater”. Yet at every level he just kept putting up numbers. Why even bother where he goes in a redraft, its next to irrelevent Only 1 year later
Did you know there is a difference between a Forward and a Defenceman? o_O

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Don't need to go that far back. That same was being said about Caufield just a few years ago.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Did you know there is a difference between a Forward and a Defenceman? o_O
Thats literally not my point at all. My point is that all people did was find ways to hate on JG, too small, too this, too that, it'll never work at the next level. And all he did was keep putting up points.

Hutson has always been "too small" yet he keeps dominating every level he plays at.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Wheeler’s redraft of 2022, going by his lasted Top 50 drafted prospects, with Slafkovsky graduated:

2022 rank (overall rank in Top 50 in parentheses) he also puts them in tiers
Tier 2 (2-7)
#1 (6) Cooley
Tier 3 (8-29)
#2 (8) Nemec
#3 (9) Jirecek
#4 (13) Gauthier
#5 (14) Wright
#6 (22) Korchinski
#7 (23) Snuggerud
#8 (24) Savoie
#9 (25) Kulich
#10 (26) Mintyukov
#11 (27) Hutson
Tier 4 (30-50)
#12 (30) Kasper
#13 (32) Mateychuk
#14 (40) Ohgren
#15 (43) Dumais
#16 (45) McGroarty
#17 (48) Yurov
#18 (50) Nazar

Honorable Mentions from the 2022 Draft (in alphabetical order out of a total of 77 players)
Owen Beck, C
Lian Bichsel, LHD
Filip Bystedt, C
Seamus Casey, RHD
Jagger Firkus, RW
Nathan Gaucher, C
Conor Geekie, C
David Goyette, C
Isaac Howard, LW
Joakim Kemell, RW
Brad Lambert, C/RW
Jonathan Lekkerimaki, RW
Tristan Luneau, RHD
Filip Mesar, RW
Ivan Miroshnichenko, LW
Ty Nelson, RHD
Noah Östlund, C
Owen Pickering, LHD

So Wheeler nearly has him in the Top 10 (without Slaf included). Granted Wheeler loooves undersized offensive defenseman, so he’s a guy who would re-rank Hutson generously.

Yup, as I mentioned in my post, he's in the discussion.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Thats literally not my point at all. My point is that all people did was find ways to hate on JG, too small, too this, too that, it'll never work at the next level. And all he did was keep putting up points.

Hutson has always been "too small" yet he keeps dominating every level he plays at.
and I'm pointing out that comparing a small forward like JG to Hutson who is a Defenseman doesn't make sense at all. A defenseman's job is way more physical then a forward which is a lot harder to do when you are smaller and of lesser weight.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Yup, as I mentioned in my post, he's in the discussion.
I know, I was following the conversation. (Just to be clear lol)

I guess I could have posted my response to the poster who claimed he wouldn’t even be close.

I actually think Wheeler is a bit too high on him but the “not even close isn’t true” take was wrong, since re-drafts are subjective, and Wheeler isn’t a Habs poster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Favster

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
and I'm pointing out that comparing a small forward like JG to Hutson who is a Defenseman doesn't make sense at all. A defenseman's job is way more physical then a forward which is a lot harder to do when you are smaller and of lesser weight.
I don't think anyone is comparing the players. They play different positions and are nothing alike.

They're comparing the comments and dismissals of both players because of their size. That's it.

Reactions: malcb33

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He’s basically the Bryce Young of NHL prospects. Impeccable college career, award winning as a freshman, ridiculous feel for the game and sizzle reel. Just an almost unprecedented “lightweight” for a high level prospect at his position. I’m not even going to say size because Hutson, like Young, is short but that’s not where the questions stem from. It’s a lightweight structure to his body type.

Like Young there is a lot of piddling arguments over a pound here or inch there. I’d be careful about wanting Hutson to suddenly show up beefier just to appease some idea of size. Sammy Girard was looking like a top pair defenseman early in his NHL career, tried to add some muscle and lost half a step and now is trying to cling to a top four role. I’m more interested in Hutson continuing to refine his skating and his skating strength than the idea that he just needs to get “heftier”. Because that can be a double edged sword - especially for a guy, unlike Girard, who has had to make significant strides in his skating to prove himself as a high level prospect in the first place.

Reactions: Guttersniped

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
You are still missing my point. I'm not comparing JG and Hutson as players. I am comparing the dumb comments and labels placed on them, despite outperforming expectations at every level.

If I wanted to give you a small and slight dman that has carved out a great career for himself I would look at Jared Spurgeon. A player who would definitely go top 10 in a 2008 re-draft.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
You are still missing my point. I'm not comparing JG and Hutson as players. I am comparing the dumb comments and labels placed on them, despite outperforming expectations at every level.

If I wanted to give you a small and slight dman that has carved out a great career for himself I would look at Jared Spurgeon. A player who would definitely go top 10 in a 2008 re-draft.
Spurgeon is a great Dman though I would say that stylistically Hutson and him aren't that close. I think Fox is the best comparison atm.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Spurgeon is a great Dman though I would say that stylistically Hutson and him aren't that close. I think Fox is the best comparison atm.
But you used size right? And Spurgeon is like 5'6

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
He’s basically the Bryce Young of NHL prospects. Impeccable college career, award winning as a freshman, ridiculous feel for the game and sizzle reel. Just an almost unprecedented “lightweight” for a high level prospect at his position. I’m not even going to say size because Hutson, like Young, is short but that’s not where the questions stem from. It’s a lightweight structure to his body type.

Like Young there is a lot of piddling arguments over a pound here or inch there. I’d be careful about wanting Hutson to suddenly show up beefier just to appease some idea of size. Sammy Girard was looking like a top pair defenseman early in his NHL career, tried to add some muscle and lost half a step and now is trying to cling to a top four role. I’m more interested in Hutson continuing to refine his skating and his skating strength than the idea that he just needs to get “heftier”. Because that can be a double edged sword - especially for a guy, unlike Girard, who has had to make significant strides in his skating to prove himself as a high level prospect in the first place.
You can't compare Bryce Young, Bryce never played at a level even close to Hutson.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Some of you care too much about an extra inch of two.

He's 5'9...if he was 5'10 or 5'11 would you be having the same conversation? His hockey IQ more than makes up for it and should help him make the NHL, how well he performs is to be seen.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
You can't compare Bryce Young, Bryce never played at a level even close to Hutson.
Bryce literally won the award for best collegiate football player and literally went first overall in the NFL draft.

It’s a casual comp from a completely different sport meant to draw some parallels between lightweight and yet effervescent players in their respective athletic fields and how their potential stardom would be unique and potentially ground breaking in how we view size versus skill and IQ at the highest levels of very physical professional sports.

I’m not sure how on earth you go about qualifying “Bryce never played at a level even close to Hutson.”

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Some of you care too much about an extra inch of two.

He's 5'9...if he was 5'10 or 5'11 would you be having the same conversation? His hockey IQ more than makes up for it and should help him make the NHL, how well he performs is to be seen.
I do think people overreact over a couple inches. If anything people should be more concerned about the weight.

Reactions: montreal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad