LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Is he supposed to say "Im a great college player but Ill probably suck in the NHL"? Most athletes are borderline cocky, its kind of a trait you need. Its just in hockey, especially Canadians everyone is trained to be robotic with how they speak

It;s like the polar opposite of the NFL and NBA.

Yea, athletes need confidence, whether it's genuine or faking it till they make it. They need to believe they can succeed as high as possible at least. Really, that goes for a lot of avenues in life. Not that believing makes things come true, but it gets the person through the tough periods and other effects like that.

Tentativeness, the "yips", things like that destroy performance and are wholly mental insecurity. So whatever, if the kid believes he'll be as good or better than Makar, good for him. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. But he's far less likely to fail with that attitude than "yea well my expectations are humble, I only want to be a moderately good 3rd pairing defensmen. You know, I want to make just enough money to set my family up comfortably for life but not quite enough to live lavishly. And I want to ensure that I don't upset the apple cart and I want to the best players in the game to know, their position is secure, I won't be coming for their job or their status and reputation. Nope, just let me sit back on the 2nd or 3rd pairing . It would be cool if a few people in the stands wore my jersey, but not so many that it effects the sales of other players jerseys. That would just be embarrassing. I wouldn't think to challenge their clear superiority and dominance...."

I mean seriously...... is that what people want to hear? Because if you don't think you can be the best, that's basically what you're saying. Not that there is anything wrong with being a 3rd pair Dman in the NHL, that's still a success. But it's where people end up after attempting to be the best, usually, not where they start out dreaming of.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nico Cauzuki

BerthMania

Jun 3, 2022
Montréal
And why is Fantili behind all the guys? Is Matthew Knies drastically better defensively (I don't watch the games, that's why I ask)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
For those that don’t know here is the definition of the hobey baker:

NCAA player who best "exhibits strength of character both on and off the ice" and "contributes to the integrity of the team and displays outstanding skills in all phases of the game"

the award is voted on and narrowed down by college coaches and fans and the award is handed out by a pannel of sports writers, scouts, officials and coaches.

BerthMania

Jun 3, 2022
Montréal
So the ''strength of character off the ice'' would be what explains that the players who don't have the best season on ice are nominated?

But what does that mean concretely? Giving to charity? Being a good leader? Having good academic grades?

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
For those that don’t know here is the definition of the hobey baker:

NCAA player who best "exhibits strength of character both on and off the ice" and "contributes to the integrity of the team and displays outstanding skills in all phases of the game"

the award is voted on and narrowed down by college coaches and fans and the award is handed out by a pannel of sports writers, scouts, officials and coaches.

That doesn't fully explain why Lane Hutson isn't even on that list?

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
It’s a public vote. Habs fans aren’t voting their guy.

Minnesota + Leafs best prospect is a difficult combination to out vote.

Wait ‘till the Top-10 results are published. It means little until that point.

Sure, thanks for the info.

ChickenDinner

Mar 20, 2022
Very good college player. Should get some consideration for Hobey Baker I think. Not sure he'll be a top consideration. There's some very very good players out there right now.

Don't see much NHL upside however in the total package. There's always a 'but' with him. Have a family member who does amateur scouting for an NHL team and agrees with this assessment. I've watched quite a bit of video on him over the last while. Too many habs friends of mine asking what my family member thinks of Hutson. He already looks small in college, it's only going to look worse in the NHL. He has good skating mechanics but lacks separation. Has tremendous skill but habits that likely won't translate to a pro game.

I think he gets NHL games down the line. I don't think he's a core player to a NHL team. I will definitely get trashed for this but I won't respond. I said my piece.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Very good college player. Should get some consideration for Hobey Baker I think. Not sure he'll be a top consideration. There's some very very good players out there right now.

Don't see much NHL upside however in the total package. There's always a 'but' with him. Have a family member who does amateur scouting for an NHL team and agrees with this assessment. I've watched quite a bit of video on him over the last while. Too many habs friends of mine asking what my family member thinks of Hutson. He already looks small in college, it's only going to look worse in the NHL. He has good skating mechanics but lacks separation. Has tremendous skill but habits that likely won't translate to a pro game.

I think he gets NHL games down the line. I don't think he's a core player to a NHL team. I will definitely get trashed for this but I won't respond. I said my piece.
While I understand your opinion and I won’t be ‘trashing’ it; I think it’s difficult to assess his NHL Impact yet. He’s still growing in size and working on his physical game. He shows childhood hockey flaws and at many times is the primary attacker or becomes a fourth forward positionally for a long period of time. I think we’ll get a better sense for his NHL impact as time goes on because he certainly brings gamebreaking offensive ability, something that entices every NHL team. The question mark is his positioning and therefore how will he be able to get away with this in the NHL? The answer is he will get away with significantly less of it, but how will he translate his game to fit that? His defensive game is actually much better than people portray and he used his smaller size quite well.

Reactions: Fenris

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013

I think, like Cole C, he will get stronger and become a top6 D by 22y/o. I think he will see time in the AHL, 2 years potentially and crack the lineup around 22. There is too much skill there along with a very impressive above average NHL skating ability. He will gain strength and separation early in his twenties.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Not saying he will become one but the best athletes in the world all had that mentality

Jordan ( looking at the last dance he kinda looked like an asshole too lol )
Kobe
Ronaldo
Etc…

Kobe quote:
"When I have the chance to guard Michael Jordan, I want to guard him. I want him. It’s the ultimate challenge. I don’t want to be the next Michael Jordan, I only want to be Kobe Bryant.”

He didn't come and say "I am going to be as good as MJ."

MJ on Draft Day:
"I’m not looking forward to going in and trying to live up to everyone else’s expectations. I just want to go in and contribute the best way I could and I just look forward to whatever the coaches want."

There's a difference between confidence and arrogance.

You can be humble and still show confidence. To compare yourself to a 24 year old, >ppg player who already won a Norris, a Conn Smythe and Calder awards is a little soon for a guy who is the size of a 10 year old.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
1678461585758.png

I don't know how anyone can think this is arrogance

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I think, like Cole C, he will get stronger and become a top6 D by 22y/o. I think he will see time in the AHL, 2 years potentially and crack the lineup around 22. There is too much skill there along with a very impressive above average NHL skating ability. He will gain strength and separation early in his twenties.
I think he has another year in the NCAA, and then straight to the NHL like Hughes.

Not sure the AHL is the best for smaller, talented players.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North

i remember when they said that about Caufield :laugh:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

It would be pretty unprecedented for a 1.3 PPG freshman of any position to not become a core NHL player. It would be even more unprecedented for a defenseman.

In the history of the NCAA, have we ever seen a freshman with his productivity not at least become a decent NHLer?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It would be pretty unprecedented for a 1.3 PPG freshman of any position to not become a core NHL player. It would be even more unprecedented for a defenseman.

In the history of the NCAA, have we ever seen a freshman with his productivity not at least become a decent NHLer?
Fair point.

A question you may be able to answer that I can't. Has any d-prospect with these credentials at his size done it?

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Kobe quote:
"When I have the chance to guard Michael Jordan, I want to guard him. I want him. It’s the ultimate challenge. I don’t want to be the next Michael Jordan, I only want to be Kobe Bryant.”

He didn't come and say "I am going to be as good as MJ."

MJ on Draft Day:
"I’m not looking forward to going in and trying to live up to everyone else’s expectations. I just want to go in and contribute the best way I could and I just look forward to whatever the coaches want."

There's a difference between confidence and arrogance.

You can be humble and still show confidence. To compare yourself to a 24 year old, >ppg player who already won a Norris, a Conn Smythe and Calder awards is a little soon for a guy who is the size of a 10 year old.
You have to be shitposting here. Imagine looking up Kobe quotes to try to dunk on a teenager and missing this badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad