LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Lane Hutson has the highest PPG of any U-19 NCAA defenseman in the last 20 years.

View attachment 639643
And everyone below him either at least played in the NHL at a minimum, most in top 4 roles, some on top pairs, other than AJ Thelen from 2004. Minus everyone still in college or still just too young to play in the NHL so far.

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
Yes, and the best way to nurture that talent is to have constant communication with Hutson on what he needs to improve, get him to become a buff boi, and then leave him in the NCAA as long as it takes to work on his flaws.

Don't let the fancy plays and insanely-skilled keeps of possession make you overhype him, Hutson needs to improve a lot still before he's anywhere near ready for the "Big Show". Or considered a steal, or a "blue-chip prospect" for that matter.

Let's face it, if he wants a strong pro career (and reach his potential), Hutson must yet improve skating/acceleration, improve his arsenal of shots all-around (wrist, slap, release, one-timer, shooting on off-leg, all must get better/quicker if he wants to be a true offensive dynamo), get stronger/taller/heavier to a level where he's able to at least handle NHL-level physicality and not get destroyed, and also MAJORLY polish his defensive reads/angles as he likely never will be able to use size/strength to just muscle people off the puck and thus needs to really hone-in on those facets of the game.

More precisely, it is my personal opinion that it is virtually impossible to be a good defender in your own right in the NHL if you are both small/unable to end the cycle effectively AND also don't have well above NHL-average defensive awareness/stickchecking. Unfortunately, those attributes conducive to good NHL defense (IE size, ++ defensive acumen) are absent from Hutson's repertoire as a player right now, though he has definitely made progress since last year.

So yeah, we should appreciate each and every incredible plays Lane Hutson makes for BU but stop clamouring for him to join our team prematurely. If we as fans want the best for him, we should wait at least one, but preferably two, more years for him to perfect his game in the NCAA.

I still absolutely love the way Hutson plays, how focused he appears to be in interviews, and have very high hopes for him. But keeping a level-head is still best when it comes to prospects. Even prospects as jaw-droppingly talented as Lane Hutson.
This is incredibly well said.

I really hope this new Habs management is patient with Hutson. Habs have a glaring need for an offensive defenceman to QV their powerplay but rushing Hutson before he's ready would be short sighted.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Yes, and the best way to nurture that talent is to have constant communication with Hutson on what he needs to improve, get him to become a buff boi, and then leave him in the NCAA as long as it takes to work on his flaws.

Don't let the fancy plays and insanely-skilled keeps of possession make you overhype him, Hutson needs to improve a lot still before he's anywhere near ready for the "Big Show". Or considered a steal, or a "blue-chip prospect" for that matter.

Let's face it, if he wants a strong pro career (and reach his potential), Hutson must yet improve skating/acceleration, improve his arsenal of shots all-around (wrist, slap, release, one-timer, shooting on off-leg, all must get better/quicker if he wants to be a true offensive dynamo), get stronger/taller/heavier to a level where he's able to at least handle NHL-level physicality and not get destroyed, and also MAJORLY polish his defensive reads/angles as he likely never will be able to use size/strength to just muscle people off the puck and thus needs to really hone-in on those facets of the game.

More precisely, it is my personal opinion that it is virtually impossible to be a good defender in your own right in the NHL if you are both small/unable to end the cycle effectively AND also don't have well above NHL-average defensive awareness/stickchecking. Unfortunately, those attributes conducive to good NHL defense (IE size, ++ defensive acumen) are absent from Hutson's repertoire as a player right now, though he has definitely made progress since last year.

So yeah, we should appreciate each and every incredible plays Lane Hutson makes for BU but stop clamouring for him to join our team prematurely. If we as fans want the best for him, we should wait at least one, but preferably two, more years for him to perfect his game in the NCAA.

I still absolutely love the way Hutson plays, how focused he appears to be in interviews, and have very high hopes for him. But keeping a level-head is still best when it comes to prospects. Even prospects as jaw-droppingly talented as Lane Hutson.
I'm not concerned about his shot. That's not his game and never will be. He's never going to be a player that can shoot in stride and pick a corner from 30 feet out like Rasmus Dahlin. He's not necessarily going to be a big time producer in the NHL, but will be an elite transition defenseman. That's his game. More of a #3/pp2 type.

I'd be really careful about the bulking up too. He needs to get stronger, but it needs to be in a smart and efficient way. You don't want Hutson losing any of his explosiveness and escapability otherwise he basically has no chance of being an NHLer. He's going to need a bigger partner to shelter him a bit regardless of what his playing weight ends up being. If I were advising him, I'd be focusing on keeping his strengths his strengths because he is very much elite in those areas and there is a path to the NHL there. You don't want him 'rounding out' his game at the expense of his strengths. Just an anecdote as an Avs fan - Sam Girard bulked up after the Vegas series in 2021 and went from a #2 to basically a third pairing guy.

Last edited:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I'm not concerned about his shot. That's not his game and never will be. He's never going to be a player that can shoot in stride and pick a corner from 30 feet out like Rasmus Dahlin. He's not necessarily going to be a big time producer in the NHL, but will be an elite transition defenseman. That's his game. More of a #3/pp2 type.

Hutson isn't just good at transition. He's a magician with the puck. He definitely has the potential to be a top offensive dmen and pp1 guy

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Hutson isn't just good at transition, he's a magician with the puck. He definitely has the potential to be a top offensive dmen and pp1 guy
I think the thing to keep in mind is that without the threat of being able to beat NHL goalies from mid to long range, NHL defenses are going to be more hesitant to fall for some of the things he does in the NCAA to create time and space.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think the thing to keep in mind is that without the threat of being able to beat NHL goalies from mid to long range, NHL defenses are going to be more hesitant to fall for some of the things he does in the NCAA to create time and space.
Yeah hes not going to deke his way to 80 points in the NHL. But with better opposition, hopefully comes with better teammates. I'm hopeful seeing his ability to skate with the puck and his vision he'll have a place. Definitely a very interesting prospect to follow.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Hutson isn't just good at transition. He's a magician with the puck. He definitely has the potential to be a top offensive dmen and pp1 guy
I didn't say he was only good at transition, but his ability to transition the play from defense to offense is what makes him, at least in my mind, an elite prospect. He has incredible escapability, shiftiness, and hockey IQ. He is a quick strike wingers dream defenseman - he gets the puck to you, on the tape, in stride, at the correct time it needs to be there.

Trust me you don't need to convince me of his talent; I'd like to think I'm one of his bigger fans here. I'm on record on the first page saying if slips past 30, it's a steal. Some pretty good names in the 2nd round last year, but still can't believe he went 62nd, which would have been a 3rd round pick not too long ago.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Size updated at eliteprospects to 5'10" (178cm) and 161 lbs (73kg). He is getting close to his expected height pr. bone doctors.
If that's accurate and he's really 5'10, then this is huge news. That would make him as tall as Quinn Hughes.
We know the 161 lbs weight is accurate since Hutson said it himself a couple of months ago.

Hutson was listed as 5-foot-8.25, 158 pounds at the combine.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
If that's accurate and he's really 5'10, then this is huge news. That would make him as tall as Quinn Hughes.
We know the 161 lbs weight is accurate since Hutson said it himself a couple of months ago.

Hutson was listed as 5-foot-8.25, 158 pounds at the combine.
He certainly looks bigger than he did last season. I guess we don’t know for sure.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He's like a mini-Subban with the risk-taking and shiftiness. Hope he stays in college for another year at least to work on his strength and speed. Talent is there.

Reactions: montreal

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

1674854817541.png

Reactions: SlafySZN and bopeep

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Hutson is listed as 5'10 with BU as well.

I wonder how much higher in the draft he would've gone if the teams knew he would grow to be 5'10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad