LD K'Andre Miller (2018, 22nd, NYR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don’t know his ceiling but have seen like 5 games from him this year. His big body and ability to read the game reminds me from Hedman. That reach speed and smarts combo is something to look for. Offensively I don’t expect anything special but defensively I see faster Lindell who will be a nightmare to play against.

Would be awesome to see defensive d to win calder.

I don't think he'll ever be a 50 point D-man but the last two games he set up some of the best chances on this team who has looked like shit on the offensive end otherwise.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I don't think he'll ever be a 50 point D-man but the last two games he set up some of the best chances on this team who has looked like shit on the offensive end otherwise.

I think he could end up somewhat like Bouwmeester. Obviously would be incredibly hard to have that type of career and longevity but in style/impact I see some similarities.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
He's improving every game. Looks like a stud out there. Fast, strong on board battles, breaking pucks out with good transition passes and even jumping into the rush.

Got to love his upside.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I don’t know his ceiling but have seen like 5 games from him this year. His big body and ability to read the game reminds me from Hedman. That reach speed and smarts combo is something to look for. Offensively I don’t expect anything special but defensively I see faster Lindell who will be a nightmare to play against.

Would be awesome to see defensive d to win calder.

I thought the exact same but didn't want to be bashed over the comparison.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
he's brent burns. has that "everywhere" quality where he just takes over the entire sheet at times - its so fun to watch. its incredible watching this kid to the mind blowing with athletic defensive plays as well as how easily he can just blow by everyone on the ice rushing the puck - because where you typically associate those qualities with high risk high reward..he's done the little things so impressively in being responsible defensively down low, making calm, smart plays moving pucks. idno if their production will ultimately compare, but would keep in mind burns didn't start really producing until 10-11 years into his career. can't set it as the expectation at this point, but between the chances hes created already and his skillset...makes it hard to not get carried away with what he could become in time. and neither here nor there, but he's such an easy kid to like when you hear him speak.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
I don't want to jinx it. I mean I don't think I can because barring a disaster his physical skills are 5 tool. He has every single tool an elite defender needs. Size, range, skating, offensive and defensive awareness. And he is playing conservative and looks about 2 years ahead of what he should be. He does not look like a rookie defenseman which is absolutely shocking to me because he still looks like a pup version of what his body is going to be. I have no doubt he will be the best defender on the Rangers since McD in a few seasons. Probably better. Certainly has more physical tools and plays really calm and poised.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
I was already stoked to have a 5 tool D-Man prospect. Now we have a 5 tool d-man with an accurate cannon from the point. When was the last time we had that? That was a Sheldon Souray caliber rail gun shot from K'Andre.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
K'Andre has been unbelievable so far this season. I haven't been a fan of his play since his U17 season, but I don't see how someone couldn't be a fan of how he's playing as a rookie in the NHL.

His hockey sense has went from clearly below-average to clearly above-average in the course of one offseason going from college hockey to the best league in the world. There's a theory out there that there are some players who really improve a lot once they get to the NHL because the organization and structure of the NHL game lets them maximize their skills. But predicting that is unrealistic.

I watched a lot of his games all these seasons, and he really wasn't very good. I think a lot of people have mentioned that. I can't say I was wrong about his previous play. However, I clearly underestimated his ability to improve his hockey sense, which was his biggest weakness. Credit to the Rangers scouting staff for being able to predict that it'd improve. I'm certainly not going to complain that they got that one right and I got it wrong.

He's made a huge jump in his ability level during the offseason. The team talked it up, but teams will always talk about their players. This wasn't only talk. It's a huge improvement.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
K'Andre has been unbelievable so far this season. I haven't been a fan of his play since his U17 season, but I don't see how someone couldn't be a fan of how he's playing as a rookie in the NHL.

His hockey sense has went from clearly below-average to clearly above-average in the course of one offseason going from college hockey to the best league in the world. There's a theory out there that there are some players who really improve a lot once they get to the NHL because the organization and structure of the NHL game lets them maximize their skills. But predicting that is unrealistic.

Yeah Miller has already said this year that there are some things that are easier because everyone is pretty much in position and things are more structured, so he can trust where his teammates will be etc.

I watched a lot of his games all these seasons, and he really wasn't very good. I think a lot of people have mentioned that. I can't say I was wrong about his previous play. However, I clearly underestimated his ability to improve his hockey sense, which was his biggest weakness. Credit to the Rangers scouting staff for being able to predict that it'd improve. I'm certainly not going to complain that they got that one right and I got it wrong.

He's made a huge jump in his ability level during the offseason. The team talked it up, but teams will always talk about their players. This wasn't only talk. It's a huge improvement.

I dunno how exactly he did it...even if someone was a fan I don't think many people predicted this kind of start. Feels like he must have studied a lot of the game as well as working out, etc. Also I think he greatly benefits from being decisive in his actions and having the physical tools to make that work. Like the gif posted up there of him coming across to snuff out a play. He didn't hesitate to do that he just went...though you can also see him check that his forwards are backchecking on the Sabres players coming up his side before he fully commits to the move. You see him do that when closing off forwards entering the zone too, or in the neutral zone. He's just on guys before they can do much and he's so big and fast it happens quickly and they rarely have time to escape. If he didn't have those tools it'd probably be easier for opposing players to turn that into an "over aggressive" move and burn him but his timing and use of tools has been great so far.

It's really impressive and he's not just passing the eye test he's blowing away the chart test as well and playing 20+ minutes per night almost all at even strength (can't say he's playing soft minutes when he's doing that)

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Said it leading up to the draft: This kid's only limiting factor will be how quickly he can learn to process the game. Has all the physical tools you could ever want in a defensemen. It's just a matter of how much ceiling he has between the ears.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I hate giving you props, but I will give you props that you admitted you're wrong. But it's still half props since you're attributing you being wrong to him improving something that no one could see him improving and clearly him being crap when you first made your analysis of his game. So still self serving, but at least you admitted you were wrong.

He won't even see this since I'm on his ignore.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
I hate giving you props, but I will give you props that you admitted you're wrong. But it's still half props since you're attributing you being wrong to him improving something that no one could see him improving and clearly him being crap when you first made your analysis of his game. So still self serving, but at least you admitted you were wrong.

He won't even see this since I'm on his ignore.
Yeah, he’s essentially saying:

“I was right because he wasn’t that good but he’s now improved so much, which no one in their right mind could have expected. So I’m still actually right in my initial assessment.”

:laugh:

Even when PB is wrong it’s never because he’s wrong. Just because something happened that goes against the grain of his reality.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Got two assists today. One secondary, but also a primary assist on a 2-0. He also played well again. He's making a few errors, but a lot more good plays than errors. He's quickly solidified a top four role on our left side. He doesn't get much PP time, and you can't really complain about that because Fox, DeAngelo, and Trouba are all better offensive players, but I'd like to see him stay in a PK role that he's played recently. We don't have two left shot defensemen better in that role. I think 20 minutes per game is around what he'll play if he continues to play well. We certainly need someone to play those minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad