LD K'Andre Miller (2018, 22nd, NYR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Miller has been getting very unfairly maligned with an inter-team issue that clearly doesn't appear to have played out as a blogger suggested.

I won't link to it because it appears to be pure activism, not journalism, but a blogger tried to claim he had sources telling him Miller was abused by DeAngelo. In fact, it appears the exact opposite. Miller (as a rookie) broke up a fight between two veteran teammates, and Miller showed the character to try to try to smooth over any problems that this blogger with his non-truths told in Miller's name.

Unfortunately, an activist took it upon himself to drag Miller. Miller needs to be commended instead for his leadership. I hope this doesn't effect his play.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Seems to be the same sort of activist that always try and stir up those type of stories.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He was sleeping on Zucker's goal. Hopefully he remembers, and learns, to get his body in between the goal and the opponent next time.

Reactions: The Sweetness

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was sleeping on Zucker's goal. Hopefully he remembers, and learns, to get his body in between the goal and the opponent next time.

This was probably his worst game since the first game, but he did have a key blocked shots in the third period on a scramble in front of the Rangers net. It might’ve saved a goal in a one goal game.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
This was probably his worst game since the first game, but he did have a key blocked shots in the third period on a scramble in front of the Rangers net. It might’ve saved a goal in a one goal game.

and that clear at the end of the game which led to the empty net? Or he at least got it to the player on the wall to get it out to where bread scored?

Arkadiusz

Feb 22, 2019
Concord, MA
Highest TOI of his season at almost 22 minutes, that much time as a rook there are gonna be a few growing pains, overall still very impressive...

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Fanasty hockey. 7 years someone else has this player. Is he going to ever be the guy on the PP or is he a solid shut down guy and that’s it. And “that’s it” isn’t a bad thing but it is for a pool that just counts points. Thanks!

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Highest TOI of his season at almost 22 minutes, that much time as a rook there are gonna be a few growing pains, overall still very impressive...

The Rangers were down to 5, and the defensemen were rotating penalties, so their TOI all went up. I think he'll be playing at least 20 per game though, if he can maintain a high level of play.

Fanasty hockey. 7 years someone else has this player. Is he going to ever be the guy on the PP or is he a solid shut down guy and that’s it. And “that’s it” isn’t a bad thing but it is for a pool that just counts points. Thanks!

Is he ever going to be the PP1 guy? No, that would be Fox now that Tony is gone.

If anyone wrestles it away from Fox, it'd likely be that a really good offensive player, like Jones, comes around and is slightly better offensively, despite being worse all-around (like DeAngelo was). Probably not going to be Miller. Miller's PP upside revolves around becoming better than Trouba offensively (not impossible), and/or becoming good enough all-around that the team feels like he can't be left off the PP, which necessitates the need for 3 defensemen spots on the PP. The left side is open so he has the first shot to become our minutes leader on that side, but it's going to be nearly impossible to beat out Fox.

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

That was more a combination of Shesterkin overplaying the shot and an unlucky bounce.

His awareness to block the shot late in the 3rd was a thing of beauty.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

I could see him getting some PP time, especially now that DeAngelo is gone. He's already leading team at EV TOI, and he has started to get PK time as well. He played 3:34 on the PK last night.

He may not get much time on the 1st PP though, unless they put him and Fox together like they recently did with Fox and DeAngelo. He has a big shot, so it's possible that they use him for that.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I could see him getting some PP time, especially now that DeAngelo is gone. He's already leading team at EV TOI, and he has started to get PK time as well. He played 3:34 on the PK last night.

He may not get much time on the 1st PP though, unless they put him and Fox together like they recently did with Fox and DeAngelo. He has a big shot, so it's possible that they use him for that.

I can't see two defensemen on PP1 long-term, unless one of these other defensemen is a 40+ point player per season. We see that Trouba (squarely first pair guy) hasn't been good enough offensively to get himself onto PP1. We have too many high-end forwards or forward prospects (Bread, Mika, Kreids, Buch, Lafreniere, Kakko). And even DeAngelo/Fox on PP1 always looked very temporary.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I can't see two defensemen on PP1 long-term, unless one of these other defensemen is a 40+ point player per season. We see that Trouba (squarely first pair guy) hasn't been good enough offensively to get himself onto PP1. We have too many high-end forwards or forward prospects (Bread, Mika, Kreids, Buch, Lafreniere, Kakko). And even DeAngelo/Fox on PP1 always looked very temporary.

TBH Buch's passing leaves a lot to be desired in my limited viewings of him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
TBH Buch's passing leaves a lot to be desired in my limited viewings of him.

He’s a good passer. Maybe not elite. More of a playmaker than shooter. He’s not really elite at anything, but one of the most underrated all-around wingers in the league. He’s going to play PP1 by virtue of being one of the best players on the team every night, not that he has more offensive potential than Lafreniere or Kakko. And maybe he’s traded, but that’s if Lafreniere and/or Kakko show they deserve a bigger role. In which case, still no role for Miller on the PP.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
There's been about 3 goals where the player got a little lost behind him. A lot of things went into this one, but as long as he learns from these situations I am fine with them happening.

There was a lot wrong on this goal that didn't even include Miller. He's not being sheltered like a normal rookie.

Reactions: The Sweetness

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He played a full season in the NHL, which is impressive for a 20 year old rookie.

He started well, but his play trailed off badly towards the second half of the season, and probably even before that.

When he was playing well he’d make simple decisions with the puck, and was able to be a quietly effective player without the puck due to his size, strength, and skating. He also was very good at getting his shot through on net. However, he struggled with his puck decisions as the season went on and he has weak puck handling. He’ll need to learn to simplify better. He did this early on, but probably got a little too comfortable with his position on the team as the season went on. You really can’t complain too much though. Miller completing a full season in the NHL and not being awful is a big victory for the team.

I’m not sure he has the big upside that some initially projected, but a capable top four defensive defenseman who can transport the puck with his skating and also contribute some goals seems like a very realistic outcome with some further development.

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
He played a full season in the NHL, which is impressive for a 20 year old rookie.

He started well, but his play trailed off badly towards the second half of the season, and probably even before that.

When he was playing well he’d make simple decisions with the puck, and was able to be a quietly effective player without the puck due to his size, strength, and skating. He also was very good at getting his shot through on net. However, he struggled with his puck decisions as the season went on and he has weak puck handling. He’ll need to learn to simplify better. He did this early on, but probably got a little too comfortable with his position on the team as the season went on. You really can’t complain too much though. Miller completing a full season in the NHL and not being awful is a big victory for the team.

I’m not sure he has the big upside that some initially projected, but a capable top four defensive defenseman who can transport the puck with his skating and also contribute some goals seems like a very realistic outcome with some further development.
People knew and expected him to be raw and he was. I thought he was at his best earlier when maybe due to adrenaline he was keeping it simple in the D zone but he used to skate the puck out himself a bit more. I would really want him to keep developping that and not eliminate it to be safe. His real problem is definitely when he’s being attacked wide woth speed, he just gets beaten too easily. It feels like something that can be corrected with his tools. I loved his outlet passes they were very crisp, accurate but sometimes too ‘forced’ as he gave some ugly turnovers in neutrals this way. Definitely also something that can be improved. I would like him to use more his shot more aggressively, moving to get open and fire it first thing etc. I think people still have to be patient, he’ll need a year or two before showing what is possibly his ceiling

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021

He didnt play a full season and likely wouldnt have; he looked very tired his last 5-7 games and wouldnt have made it another 27.

he jumped from college to the NHL, thats plenty cause for celebration; but he most certainly didnt play a full season and I wouldnt count on him playing a full season next year with an increased role either

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He didnt play a full season and likely wouldnt have; he looked very tired his last 5-7 games and wouldnt have made it another 27.

he jumped from college to the NHL, thats plenty cause for celebration; but he most certainly didnt play a full season and I wouldnt count on him playing a full season next year with an increased role either

I meant full season for what there was. If he didn’t play a full season this season, no one did.

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
And I meant he couldnt have played an 82 game season. If the rest of the Rangers did, he wouldnt have
Honestly with the roster they had he probably would have had some nights off to rest, which could have helped, dont forget this schedule had less games but some stretch were quite condensed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goomba

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad