LD Aron Kiviharju - TPS, FIN JRS (2024 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
I keep wondering how hes not on the u17 challenge team. But then I remembered he is a 13 year old (soon 14) that dominates in u16 elite and that there is probably a bunch of 15-17 year olds that dominates in u18 and maybe even u20.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
I keep wondering how hes not on the u17 challenge team. But then I remembered he is a 13 year old (soon 14) that dominates in u16 elite and that there is probably a bunch of 15-17 year olds that dominates in u18 and maybe even u20.
I dunno are there players who have been on national team before Pohjola camp.

Reactions: fr9dd9

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Next season will be interesting to see, because he quite clearly is better than any 05-born defenseman. Actually, he's been playing on the same team as Elmeri Laakso, outplaying him. And Elmeri Laakso already is a u16 national team defenseman.

If they're going to go by the schedule, Kiviharju will only be getting u-16 national team games starting in 2021-2022.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
Next season will be interesting to see, because he quite clearly is better than any 05-born defenseman. Actually, he's been playing on the same team as Elmeri Laakso, outplaying him. And Elmeri Laakso already is a u16 national team defenseman.

If they're going to go by the schedule, Kiviharju will only be getting u-16 national team games starting in 2021-2022.

Well, if he keeps this up he might not play any u16 national games at all? Straight to u18.

FinPanda

Barkov Stanley cup champ!
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
11+27 in 27 games. 5th in C-jrs Q scoring and 1st in defensemen scoring. Not bad for an 13-year old. He has got some hype on twitter lately.

He was interviewed by Leijonat.fi lately: Leijonat - TPS jatkoi vahvasti CSM:ssä – Puolustaja Aron Kiviharju: ”Veskari seisoi päällään”

"– Se pitää ymmärtää, että pelit kovenee. Toisesta lohkosta tulee viis tosi kovaa joukkuetta. Kaikki valmistautuminen, treenaaminen ja tommonen – pitää pysyä nöyränä koko ajan. Muuten tulee kylmää kyytiä, toisen polven TPS-pelaaja päätti ennakoiden tuleva"
" We need to undestand that the games will get tougher. Five very strong teams are coming from the other group. All preparation, training and stuff like that - we need to stay humble all the time. Otherwise we are screwed."

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah, from what I've seen, seems to have a very pro attitude. Captain material.

By the way, Finland's recently announced national team defensemen in C:
Grönlund 18p in 27gp
Heinonen 12p in 7gp
Joutsi 17p in 26gp
Mönkkönen 16p in 23gp
Salin 5p in 6gp
Laakso 13p in 8gp
Kulonummi 6p in 6gp
Kärki 11p in 9gp

Kiviharju 38p in 27gp, not good enough for national team

I think he was better than Laakso in the games they played together on the same team, but even if not, he's easily a 2nd pairing guy on that team.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Lets see if we got a miracle on some point and he will be on national team before Pohjola camp. Its already pretty crazy that we even talk about that option.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
If he isn't on the next roster for Pohjola camp, I'm going to break things. He should be with the U16 team this year. Next year he is a must.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Yeah, from what I've seen, seems to have a very pro attitude. Captain material.

By the way, Finland's recently announced national team defensemen in C:
Grönlund 18p in 27gp
Heinonen 12p in 7gp
Joutsi 17p in 26gp
Mönkkönen 16p in 23gp
Salin 5p in 6gp
Laakso 13p in 8gp
Kulonummi 6p in 6gp
Kärki 11p in 9gp

Kiviharju 38p in 27gp, not good enough for national team

I think he was better than Laakso in the games they played together on the same team, but even if not, he's easily a 2nd pairing guy on that team.

What the....?! He's "twice" the better than the next guy in line and gets passed not only by him but 7 other guys as well? That's some age discrimination at it's finest. What a joke.

If you're better than the next person the spot should be yours. Regardless of how much more experience the other one has. It's not a rocket science after all.

Reactions: FinPanda

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Every highlight I see is offensive plays. Maybe the kid is just not complete enough defensively to be on the national team? Maybe size is an issue for board play at that age/level?

Reactions: Hockeyisl1fe

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Every highlight I see is offensive plays. Maybe the kid is just not complete enough defensively to be on the national team? Maybe size is an issue for board play at that age/level?
Highlights are mostly offensive plays at that level though. He is solid defensively too at that level, and its not like he is 160 cm.

Last edited:

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Highlights are mostly offensive plays at that level though.

Yes I understand that. I have watched some of the longer videos that OP has posted of the kid and there is not much of his defensive play in there either. Regardless, maybe his defensive play is why he did not make the national team? Maybe the coach does not want an overly offensive defenseman in his system? There are a few possibilities etc.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Yes I understand that. I have watched some of the longer videos that OP has posted of the kid and there is not much of his defensive play in there either. Regardless, maybe his defensive play is why he did not make the national team? Maybe the coach does not want an overly offensive defenseman in his system? There are a few possibilities etc.
I edited my post but it is for sure just an age thing. When you are that much better than everyone else, there isn't any excuses but age.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's u-16s that he plays at, and it's the u-16 national team. He was 168cm in the spring, and probably taller now. Those are just u-16 kids, not men or anything. In the past, you could pick him out because he was much smaller than anyone else. That's no longer the case.

As for the defensive play, you're incorrect in your assumptions. He even plays on the #1 PK unit for his team, which by the way has allowed the least goals in the league. Heck, I wouldn't even call him an offensive defenseman in spite of his offense. You can't make highlights out of defensive play, picking and choosing the good defensive plays and ignoring the mistakes isn't how defending works. You just have to watch him play.

On that note, here's a shift-by-shift of his first period from this past weekend, including all kinds of play in all sorts of situations:

I'm not really sure what you consider defense, but his greatest strength on D is his breakout and puck-moving ability. Note how when he gets to a puck - which he does quite often - how frequently that ends with his team heading the other way. He plays far more mature a defense than any of his teammates, that's for sure. Including Elmeri Laakso. A defensive partner of his, #16 Max Kaituri, by the way, was also named to the 16 national team in the summer, though he now wasn't invited. But you can compare.

Last edited:

MarVell

Jan 10, 2014
It's u-16s that he plays at, and it's the u-16 national team. He was 168cm in the spring, and probably taller now. Those are just u-16 kids, not men or anything. In the past, you could pick him out because he was much smaller than anyone else. That's no longer the case.

As for the defensive play, you're incorrect in your assumptions. He even plays on the #1 PK unit for his team, which by the way has allowed the least goals in the league. Heck, I wouldn't even call him an offensive defenseman in spite of his offense. You can't make highlights out of defensive play, picking and choosing the good defensive plays and ignoring the mistakes isn't how defending works. You just have to watch him play.

On that note, here's a shift-by-shift of his first period from this past weekend, including all kinds of play in all sorts of situations:

I'm not really sure what you consider defense, but his greatest strength on D is his breakout and puck-moving ability. Note how when he gets to a puck - which he does quite often - how frequently that ends with his team heading the other way. He plays far more mature a defense than any of his teammates, that's for sure. Including Elmeri Laakso. A defensive partner of his, #16 Max Kaituri, by the way, was also named to the 16 national team in the summer, though he now wasn't invited. But you can compare.

Which one is he?

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA

Thanks for the video. How are his offensive numbers now that his game looks a little more mature? Still dominating? If you have a link to the whole game I would love to watch it.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Thanks for the video. How are his offensive numbers now that his game looks a little more mature? Still dominating? If you have a link to the whole game I would love to watch it.
Well yeah, he is breaking all the records for U14 players even though he is a d-man, so yeah, he is doing pretty well offensively.

So far in the U-16Q league: 27 games 11+27=38 points

Reactions: FinPanda and king89

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
I wouldn't be overly critical of the national team, at least without knowing more facts (maybe someone here does). For example, does his family feel like he should be on a national team already? We are talking about a 7th grader, surely there has to be considerations made also from non-hockey perspective. Similarly we could be asking why he doesn't play in U18 league already. I would assume the reason is because there is no need to rush things.

Reactions: jalperi

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I wouldn't be overly critical of the national team, at least without knowing more facts (maybe someone here does). For example, does his family feel like he should be on a national team already? We are talking about a 7th grader, surely there has to be considerations made also from non-hockey perspective. Similarly we could be asking why he doesn't play in U18 league already. I would assume the reason is because there is no need to rush things.
What's interesting is that his dad's the head coach of TPS's u-18 team. By the way, this overtime shift from today:

edit: streamable.com/c3pz7

Worth noting is that #10 on the opposing team is his team's leading scorer so it's not even a scrub. And well, 2 years older.

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
It's a rule that you can't/won't be chosen to NT until you participate in Pohjola Camp even if the player is good enough. Let's just let Aron to focus on getting better and his time will come sooner rather than later. Will be cool to see if he can make it to U18 WHC as triple underager in few years and his development in general

Reactions: jalperi

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
It's a rule that you can't/won't be chosen to NT until you participate in Pohjola Camp even if the player is good enough. Let's just let Aron to focus on getting better and his time will come sooner rather than later. Will be cool to see if he can make it to U18 WHC as triple underager in few years and his development in general
Ye, we'll see if gets an invite to the Pohjola camp as an underager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad