LD Aron Kiviharju - TPS, FIN JRS (2024 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Heimosalmi, Vilen and Suomi are the only d-man who are regulars at Liiga level at the moment. Hard to think they will find 5 more defenders better than Kiviharju from the weak 03 and 04 age groups.
Sure. I only hope he has time to do some strength training in the fall. Wouldn't hurt to be a bit more explosive against the best U20 players in the world.

Reactions: Ippenator and Svedu

ijuka

May 14, 2016

This is a "trademark" move of his and one of the reasons why I disagreed with the assessment that Kiviharju couldn't make rushes off the blueline the way Makar can.

Blah blah Makar's a better skater, but how much better a skater was he at 16, anyway? If I think of Kiviharju's 21-22 season, Makar's 14-15 would be equivalent, where in U18 AAA he scored at a lower pace than Kiviharju in Finland's U20 SM-Liiga. And it's not tough to imagine that Finland's U20 is a far stronger level than AMHL U18.

If we're going to say "23 yo Makar is a much better skater than a 16yo Kiviharju" then, duh? But there's more to skating than straightline top speed or whatever the criticism is, especially when you've yet to even begin strength training.

I think his skating should be more than good enough to have similar possibilities at the blue line.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
This doesn’t show the arguments against his skating at all. He lacks explosiveness. His edges and feet are elite, as shown on that goal.

That is also abysmal on the Slovakian player
Fair point, Kiviharju also missed an entire season with a knee injury (not ACL) when he was 14-15 years old, which obviously interrupted his development physically and skating wise, i think it's hard to say how well he'll catch up once he gets more muscles on his legs etc, but there is alot of potential gain in the explosiveness in his skating.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
This is a "trademark" move of his and one of the reasons why I disagreed with the assessment that Kiviharju couldn't make rushes off the blueline the way Makar can.

Blah blah Makar's a better skater, but how much better a skater was he at 16, anyway? If I think of Kiviharju's 21-22 season, Makar's 14-15 would be equivalent, where in U18 AAA he scored at a lower pace than Kiviharju in Finland's U20 SM-Liiga. And it's not tough to imagine that Finland's U20 is a far stronger level than AMHL U18.

If we're going to say "23 yo Makar is a much better skater than a 16yo Kiviharju" then, duh? But there's more to skating than straightline top speed or whatever the criticism is, especially when you've yet to even begin strength training.
Yep, after seeing how much Donskoi, Granlund, Rantanen and Barkov etc. have developed their skating, I don't see any reason why anyone should worry about Kiviharju at this point. And Kiviharju is much better skater than any of them at the same age.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
This is McDavid skating at the same age Kiviharju is now. I don't think it's fair to say it's impossible to look like a great skater even at 16...

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
This kid pops off the screen.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This is McDavid skating at the same age Kiviharju is now. I don't think it's fair to say it's impossible to look like a great skater even at 16...

This goal is showing the type of great skating that Kiviharju has not shown? Well okay, then. He doesn't even attempt these more than like 1 time per season. Playing the role of lowest D is a bit different from being a forward.

But surely McDavid had much better highlights, I mean that goal's not that crazy in any way.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
This goal is showing the type of great skating that Kiviharju has not shown? Well okay, then. He doesn't even attempt these more than like 1 time per season. Playing the role of lowest D is a bit different from being a forward.

But surely McDavid had much better highlights, I mean that goal's not that crazy in any way.
Just about every clip of McDavid skating is more impressive than Kiviharju in any way. These clips even from when he was 14 are on a whole another level.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
You must be confused
Not really, I guess in that biograph it was then info a year late, as in the case of what info
has been seen so far this year. But it should be quite telling what his measures are for the U20 WJC site. I would at least assume that they get some more present info for that now.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Where did all this "clumsy skater" silliness come from? Nobody said that, except some overly defensive posters objecting to any criticism of Kivijarhu.

After seeing him in this H-G tourney, I'm a big fan. His edge work is phenomenal, an absolute treat to watch. That doesn't imply that I think all aspects of his skating are flawless. They are not.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Just about every clip of McDavid skating is more impressive than Kiviharju in any way. These clips even from when he was 14 are on a whole another level.

Just the clip from 0:54, but in terms of Agility I'd say Kiviharju's pretty competitive. Can tell they have some differences in skating style, though. Problem with comparing them is that Kiviharju very rarely skates all out, whereas McDavid does all the time. However, something like the goal Kiviharju scored today is a display of some very fluid skating.

And do you really have to use McDavid when the talk was Makar, anyway? I'm pretty sure McDavid was the best-skating 14-15yo of all time. Not only is he genetically gifted, he's gone through insane skating training since he was like 3 years old.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Just the clip from 0:54, but in terms of Agility I'd say Kiviharju's pretty competitive. Can tell they have some differences in skating style, though. Problem with comparing them is that Kiviharju very rarely skates all out, whereas McDavid does all the time. However, something like the goal Kiviharju scored today is a display of some very fluid skating.

And do you really have to use McDavid when the talk was Makar, anyway? I'm pretty sure McDavid was the best-skating 14-15yo of all time. Not only is he genetically gifted, he's gone through insane skating training since he was like 3 years old.
Kiviharju would be able to go end to end if he had explosive skating, that is the entire point. His speed holds him back from doing so.

Its literally his only knock. He is a fantastic prospect. He is not in McDavid tier as a prospect

Reactions: wetcoast
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad