LD Aron Kiviharju - TPS, FIN JRS (2024 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Kiviharju would be able to go end to end if he had explosive skating, that is the entire point. His speed holds him back from doing so.

Its literally his only knock. He is a fantastic prospect. He is not in McDavid tier as a prospect
His explosiveness isn't the issue, he is explosive. Explosiveness isn't even what's important for end-to-end in the first place.

Take this goal by Laine:

Terrible skater pre-draft, big weakness. Still not that amazing a skater. But it's not that important for end-to-end, anyway. That's essentially hands, deception and top speed. No explosiveness is needed for end-to-end.

It's just not a part of Kiviharju's play style right now.

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
Kiviharju would be able to go end to end if he had explosive skating, that is the entire point. His speed holds him back from doing so.

Its literally his only knock. He is a fantastic prospect. He is not in McDavid tier as a prospect
It’s the first thought I had as well - lack of explosiveness

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
His explosiveness isn't the issue, he is explosive. Explosiveness isn't even what's important for end-to-end in the first place.

Take this goal by Laine:

Terrible skater pre-draft, big weakness. Still not that amazing a skater. But it's not that important for end-to-end, anyway. That's essentially hands, deception and top speed. No explosiveness is needed for end-to-end.

It's just not a part of Kiviharju's play style right now.

He isn’t explosive. You’re the only one that thinks he is

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
He's obviously not explosive yet but then again he's two years away from being drafted.

Canada's very good at developing skating while most Finns usually improve their skating significantly a year or two after being drafted. Aho, Rantanen and Hintz for example weren't very good skaters as prospects.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
This kid is absolutely incredible. He reminds me of Adam Fox. He is a wildly creative player in all areas of the ice. He makes the play nobody even considers.

I agree with assessments his explosiveness needs some work, but it’s not a weakness either. He’s just not currently able to blast off like Makar or Quinn Hughes, but his edge work is certainly tracking to that level. Fox has a similar limitation compared to those other two but he has improved acceleration every year.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
This kid is absolutely incredible. He reminds me of Adam Fox. He is a wildly creative player in all areas of the ice. He makes the play nobody even considers.

I agree with assessments his explosiveness needs some work, but it’s not a weakness either. He’s just not currently able to blast off like Makar or Quinn Hughes, but his edge work is certainly tracking to that level. Fox has a similar limitation compared to those other two but he has improved acceleration every year.
I love Kiviharju's "problem solving" skills. Seems like he just knows what to do in most situations.

mistaclick

Feb 2, 2022
He’s got a lot of time to work on skating, I don’t think it will be an issue and it isn’t really right now either. Still just 16 years old so I wouldn’t worry about it.
We’ll see how much of a problem it is when he plays games for TPS this season

Reactions: Ippenator

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Most exciting defensive prospect since Rasmus Dahlin
Owen power would like a word.

This is a "trademark" move of his and one of the reasons why I disagreed with the assessment that Kiviharju couldn't make rushes off the blueline the way Makar can.

Blah blah Makar's a better skater, but how much better a skater was he at 16, anyway? If I think of Kiviharju's 21-22 season, Makar's 14-15 would be equivalent, where in U18 AAA he scored at a lower pace than Kiviharju in Finland's U20 SM-Liiga. And it's not tough to imagine that Finland's U20 is a far stronger level than AMHL U18.

If we're going to say "23 yo Makar is a much better skater than a 16yo Kiviharju" then, duh? But there's more to skating than straightline top speed or whatever the criticism is, especially when you've yet to even begin strength training.

I think his skating should be more than good enough to have similar possibilities at the blue line.
Makar was extremely explosive and as close to elite when it comes to skating at 16 years old. Seeing him at the Jr A challenge in Cobourg, he had NHL skating in spades then. Kiviharju isn’t a bad skater, but I’m comfortable staring he’ll never be the skater Makar is

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Owen power would like a word.

Makar was extremely explosive and as close to elite when it comes to skating at 16 years old. Seeing him at the Jr A challenge in Cobourg, he had NHL skating in spades then. Kiviharju isn’t a bad skater, but I’m comfortable staring he’ll never be the skater Makar is

Was Power that hyped?

I remember Dahlin being hyped as McDavid of defense, generational prospect

Reactions: Ippenator

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
From Pronman's Hlinka article:
His size at 5-foot-9 may be the only thing keeping him from being a super high pick in the 2024 NHL draft.

Not even willing to write Kivirharju in as "a super high pick in the 2024 NHL draft" (whatever that means), after he was the best D-man in Hlinka at 16 y/o. Feels insane to me but since many NHL gms are absolutely mental, I wonder if he could be onto something

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Not even willing to write Kivirharju in as "a super high pick in the 2024 NHL draft" (whatever that means), after he was the best D-man in Hlinka at 16 y/o. Feels insane to me but since many NHL gms are absolutely mental, I wonder if he could be onto something
Hes 16 so he most likely grows. But it will be interesting if he stays 5’9. That is a small dman regardless of how elite he is

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Kiviharju listed 178cm
Fox 180cm
Makar 180cm.

Those 2 have really struggled

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I think Rasmus Dahlin is a great comparison. Dahlin has always had elite edge-work but was never a burner either. I remember noting pre-draft that his explosiveness lagged behind the rest of his skating. Obviously Dahlin has a few inches on Kiviharju, but that could change.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I think Rasmus Dahlin is a great comparison. Dahlin has always had elite edge-work but was never a burner either. I remember noting pre-draft that his explosiveness lagged behind the rest of his skating. Obviously Dahlin has a few inches on Kiviharju, but that could change.
I think the only difference is Kiviharju is way more elusive than Dahlin. Thats why Fox comes to mind, he shimmy shakes multiple players ever game. I do see the Dahlin skating wise thoughh. Honestly Dahlin was probably a better skater at 16 than Kiviharju is

Reactions: Muffinalt

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Am I missing something in regards to concerns about his skating? I thought he was easily one of the best skaters in the tournament, behind Yager and Price maybe but not many others. Effortless and smooth with terrific edgework. He doesn't skate like Makar because no one skates like Makar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad