Lawsuit against Hockey Canada, CHL over alleged 2018 sexual attack. Add 2003 WJC allegations to investigation. Trial start 9/2025

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Is he related to Rod?
I don’t think he’s related to Rod, but I could be wrong.

Michael Brind’Amour’s journey to Board Chair of Hockey Canada is illustrative of what’s wrong with the organization.

Until VERY recently, when a small governance change (and what a knock down drag ‘em out fight that was!) required two females on the Hockey Canada Board, eligibility was restricted solely to those who previously served as either a Council Chair or President of one of the 13 Hockey Canada branches, and only the presidents of those branches cast ballots for board candidates.

To become a branch president (say, the president of Hockey Quebec or the Ontario Hockey Federation) is in itself ridiculously difficult because THOSE groups have their own regulations restricting who can run for their Boards and vote.

This is how “old boys clubs” are created and sustained. This is why the only people who ever get nominated are old white guys who are political animals. Them’s the rules.

Michael Brind’Amour followed this path.

From 1987-94, he sat of the Board of the Joliette Minor Hockey Association, ending as President.

This made him eligible to serve on the Board of the Laurentides-Lanaudiere region (1996-98) and then eligible to run for Vice-president and eventually President (1998-2002).

As the president of Laurentides-Lanaudiere region, he became eligible to run for the Board of Hockey Quebec (1998-2002) and then run for vice-president (2002-2006) and eventually president (2006-11).

Only as the President of Hockey Quebec did he become eligible to run for the Hockey Canada Board (2011-18), and only as a sitting member of the Hockey Canada Board did he become eligible to run for Chair (2018-2022).

This is how Hockey Canada works. It took Brind’Amour over THIRTY YEARS to climb the ladder from local minor hockey association president to Hockey Canada Board Chair.

It’s an old-boys network by design. W.A. Hewitt, Foster’s dad, sat on the Board from 1915-1964 — he was 89 years old and died just a few months later.

Seldom are Hockey Canada board members “hockey visionaries.” Rather, they are political survivors.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Having 2 funds for regional/categorical allocations is just basic accounting. I understand 99% here don't understand these things but its NFP accounting 101. Stop posting tweets from journalists who know nothing about this stuff. Now, having a reserve for potential losses isn't really unusual. The question remains, should a sports organization be responsible for these losses. That's the real question.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Hockey Canada seems to be run by a bunch of blokes that assume they're the reason Canadians want to play hockey and are thereby irreplaceable.

Meanwhile, in reality, their gigs would be innundated with quality applicants the second they become open, and the folks on the ground are the ones keeping the lights on in rinks across their country.

Last edited:
Reactions: oknazevad and KapG

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
The comment that if the board resigned that kids might not be able to play hockey at the local rink is where she 100% lost me.

I've been around minor hockey now for 7 years. There is lots of involvement by the local hockey club, Hockey Edmonton and Hockey Alberta for minor hockey, but I struggle to think of anything Hockey Canada has to do with minor hockey. Overseeing coaching accreditation I guess, but even then it's primarily run by the provincial associations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad