Lawsuit against Hockey Canada, CHL over alleged 2018 sexual attack. Add 2003 WJC allegations to investigation. Trial start 9/2025

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
From the Globe and Mail:
Players’ lawyers criticize Hockey Canada’s handling of settlement over alleged sexual assault :

"Among the seven players who have retained counsel, their lawyers say there are two groups: those who engaged in what they describe as consensual group sexual activity, and those who were in the room at one point but left and did not take part in the sexual activity."

I'm sure this will boil down to play stupid games, win stupid prizes even as more facts come out.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010

I really really have an uneasy feeling when someone has the right mind to video tape the woman giving consent, to me that immediately shows me a guilty mindset knowing the situation is not right.

I really and truly believe moving forward, EVERY player 15 years old and above in Canada needs to be given a presentation on consent/sexual activities surrounding the sport of hockey. The culture is still there...and although I believe it is far better than is was in the past. These things need to be spoken about to players regularly.

As much as people want to victim blame, we shouldn't, she felt pressure once 7 guys came in the room and that there negates consent.

We need some form of solution that can be rolled out immediately. Not an online course, not a presentation to players by some tie wearing office worker. Something real...something they will remember.

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
I would love the government to stop funding them until they review their whole policies and change the whole board of directors. The hockey culture need to evolve and they clearly are laughing at us with their comments regarding the whole situation.
I wish they would stop funding them period. They have enough rich alumni and memorabilia they can sell.

Reactions: varsaku

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
What kind of fallout is going to happen? A few higher ups resign , players getting criminal investigations?

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
What kind of fallout is going to happen? A few higher ups resign , players getting criminal investigations?
Worst case scenario? Hockey Canada loses NSO status. But this is unlikely, assuming there are a few high level resignations (staff and the board).

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Another

Canadian parliament seems out for more than scapegoat. The existence of the slush fund to payoff sexual accusations seems ludicrous. (Before my phone reset, I had a story, but lost link)

Seeking major change to culture of hockey (off ice).

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Paywall. London ON police taking another look as well.

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
I don't know how Hockey Canada can run IIHF-sanctioned tournaments while under this cloud. The WJC in August and the one in December will be very difficult. For those not in Canada, this is daily national news; as someone who has done some work in crisis management, I can tell you that this is untenable. At this point, their entire apparatus has been disrupted and is completely engulfed in this. It's now a matter of when, not if, key players in the leadership of Hockey Canada get ousted.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
I don't know how Hockey Canada can run IIHF-sanctioned tournaments while under this cloud. The WJC in August and the one in December will be very difficult. For those not in Canada, this is daily national news; as someone who has done some work in crisis management, I can tell you that this is untenable. At this point, their entire apparatus has been disrupted and is completely engulfed in this. It's now a matter of when, not if, key players in the leadership of Hockey Canada get ousted.
Doesn't the local organizing committee do the day-to-day stuff?

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Doesn't the local organizing committee do the day-to-day stuff?
That's fair, but dealing with international corporate and media conglomerations would require a certain level of collaboration with the national organization. Given how much profile this event has, it would pretty hard for the local organizers to have any real autonomy.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Paywall?

Hour by hour synopsis of what happened, putting incident in context with the rest of the celebratory gala events. Some explicit details included.

Not an easy read.

A different woman was approached about participating and declined.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Canada’s 2003 WJC team is now also under scrutiny.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The NHL already struggles for markets in the US. These reports of all the sexual assaults are going to a lot of financial harm to the brand. The NHL will need to show they are not only investigating but are taking action against the perpetrators. If they do nothing, or what is perceived by fans as nothing, it will cost the league a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad