Lawsuit against Hockey Canada, CHL over alleged 2018 sexual attack. Add 2003 WJC allegations to investigation. Trial start 9/2025

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
As I said on the main board, HC is in the middle of a shit storm of their own making. Government, sponsors, and media all pushing for more and asking questions. I don't see any scenario where they can go through the rest of the week with only the boilerplate statement they released after ScotiaBank bailed. There's going to be a demand for real action and waiting makes no sense because they're going to get pushed for it, while under oath, at the Heritage Committee in a month's time.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
As I said on the main board, HC is in the middle of a shit storm of their own making. Government, sponsors, and media all pushing for more and asking questions. I don't see any scenario where they can go through the rest of the week with only the boilerplate statement they released after ScotiaBank bailed. There's going to be a demand for real action and waiting makes no sense because they're going to get pushed for it, while under oath, at the Heritage Committee in a month's time.

The NDA's that were likely signed may prevent the truth from coming out in the matter...

This is the biggest scandal in HC history. It may even kill the organizations ability to roster teams for future tournaments.

Trying to sweep it under the rug seems like a HUGE mistake.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
The NDA's that were likely signed may prevent the truth from coming out in the matter...

This is the biggest scandal in HC history. It may even kill the organizations ability to roster teams for future tournaments.

NDAs are broken all the time. Even something as simple as signed it under duress. The truth will be coming out. And names as well. Players and management. I think several players/management careers in hockey will be finished.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

If the NDA's were signed at the request of HC, which is most likely the situation in this case, then all HC needs to do is waive them and everybody would be free to talk as they please.

Reactions: MXD and mouser

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Has IIHF released any type of statement especially with IIHF WJC coming up in Canada?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Have to think some resignations/firings are coming soon?

If you're an executive of any Canadian organization that manages to lose Tim Hortons, Scotiabank, Esso, and Canadian Tire in 2 days you should be packing your office up (aside from the sexual assault coverup, which should result in the same thing, obviously).

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Then he says that he learned of the situation via media reports. Come on now, it’s right there.
Nowhere does he say alleged. Or if these allegations are true. That speaks volumes to me. Most all of us are speculating at this point.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
There’s been an awful lot written and said about this growing/evolving scandal, but what troubles me the most is how little Hockey Canada seemed to even care about it for so long.

The alleged sexual assaults took place more than four years ago. According to Renney and Smith, Henein Hutchison LLP handed over an “unfinished” report over 26 months ago.

Yet, Hockey Canada didn’t deal with the issue until the alleged victim filed a Statement of Claim with the court, at which point several investigative journalists (Rick Westhead, Katie Strang) began reporting on the horrifying details and Hockey Canada quickly concluded a settlement with NDAs.

At that point, the horse was out of the barn and Hockey Canada’s future is now legitimately in doubt and there’s a growing chorus calling for the organization to receive the equivalent of the NCAA’s “Death Penalty.”

Sabrina Maddeaux: Hockey Canada deserves the financial death penalty over rape allegations

But I keep coming back to the same question: why did Hockey Canada wait so long to deal with the issue? Didn’t SOMEONE — former Risk Management VP Glen McCurdie or even general counsel Sean Kelly — warn senior HC leaders and the Board that this was a ticking time bomb that needed to be defused before it inevitably exploded? Didn’t SOMEONE make clear that the alleged victim’s lawyer, Rob “the priest hunter” Talach, had already taken on the Roman Catholic Church and won? This is so not a lawyer to trifle with or think will just go away?

The only conclusion I can draw — other than old fashion executive suite incompetence — is that Hockey Canada’s leaders just did not see the unresolved sexual assault allegations as a particularly big deal. When Tom Renney told the Heritage Committee that the legal settlement was inked to “save the alleged victim from more pain,” I was incredulous because she’d already endured four long years of pain without Hockey Canada doing a thing about it.

In so many respects, Hockey Canada’s current situation, where they are on the very edge of full blown pariah status with the public and corporate sponsors, is a self-inflicted wound that just didn’t need to happen and should have been dealt with 2-3 years ago.

They’ve only themselves to blame.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Friedman reports all members of team recommended to get independent council before they are interviewed by NHL investigators.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Roadrage

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Paywall? NHL chief of security Jared Maples running league investigation

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Re-opening is interesting. The initial firm hired to conduct the investigation was one of the most high-profile defence firms in Canada. There will be questions by the Committee if they're the ones tasked with investigating this.

Reactions: BadgerBruce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad