Lawsuit against Hockey Canada, CHL over alleged 2018 sexual attack. Add 2003 WJC allegations to investigation. Trial start 9/2025

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Not to do with Hockey Canada but another alleged sexual assault that took place in London in 2018.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Honourable Justice Thomas Cromwell released Part 1 of his independent review of Hockey Canada. An analysis of this review, undertaken by Charity Intelligence Canada, an independent watchdog, is available here:

Worth reading. I found this part particularly interesting:

“Hockey Canada told its Members and the Heritage Committee in Parliamentary hearings that the National Equity Fund, in addition to insurance premiums and claims, also pays for a wide range of safety and wellbeing and wellness initiatives. Hockey Canada said the NEF also paid for player counselling and treatment such as for injuries and post-traumatic stress disorder.

Cromwell’s review of Hockey Canada’s financial statements and its general ledger does not clearly show that the National Equity Fund paid for counselling or treatments for players. Cromwell is concerned that these expenses were not recorded.

Not wanting to get into a defamation suit, please re-read the above paragraph. In effect, it means that what Hockey Canada said could not be verified. The expenses for all the good things Hockey Canada claims to have spent NEF money on, its wellness programs and players' treatment, Cromwell couldn’t find in its financial records.”

• Wow
Reactions: Kevinsane

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
iihf has quietly done something that I find interesting.

The IIHF have now added a link on their pages to report ANY incident that puts someone at risk off the ice.

I think this is a direct result of allegations against team Canada at 2 championships and how they do not like the way Canada handled them

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
iihf has quietly done something that I find interesting.

The IIHF have now added a link on their pages to report ANY incident that puts someone at risk off the ice.

I think this is a direct result of allegations against team Canada at 2 championships and how they do not like the way Canada handled them
I don't know what jurisdiction the IIHF has over what happened in 2018

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Bettman updated during pre Final Q&A that NHL independent investors have finished and writing up report.
Yes he did. But will the report get relesased to the public?
The London police have stated that the "evidence" indicated that 5 players could be charged. But, nothing more from that.
Hockey Canada law firm has turned over their report to London police and (perhaps) the Commons committee????
Whatever happened, it's pretty "obvious" that players were involved. Some of these players may now be in the NHL.
In some law office, in downtown Toronto, a deal is being done to shield these players.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

Investigation concluded 4 months ago, and although it was reported last week, it is expected that the results of the investigation will be made available to the public soon at some point.

So far, 5 confirmed Canadian hockey players have been implicated.

Hopefully they release the names soon. There’s no reason for them to play another season in the NHL.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Training camps start September 11th...will the the report be released by then? What say you?
Asked whether NHL will announce any resolution on 2018 WJC investigation prior to NHL training camps opening, NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said via email he does not “have a specific timetable to share at this time”

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Training camps start September 11th...will the the report be released by then? What say you?
Probably not? At this rate, how could anybody predict?

Could some NHL teams actually be getting a little bit perturbed by this? Or they already know the answers that are coming, despite the lack of any public info release? Perhaps they already do, because otherwise it would be very frustrating for them to not know in time to plan rosters/Cap. A couple of the most-likely-affected teams do appear to have made some moves which might be in keeping with an anticipated negative result?

It wouldn't shock me if the first thing we ever see about the report is the simple absence of a few players from training camps? Is that too cynical? :dunno:

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The Athletic Hockey podcast speculates that the NHL may be waiting for the criminal investigation to conclude before releasing their investigation.

(You don't want to release findings and then determine that the police/investigator found worse things you didn't know.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad