Latest on the Arizona Coyotes Arena ordeal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
150 dollar average ticket in Wpg vs $15 tickets in Arizona ( when in Glendale, I’m sure ticket prices are more expensive in their “new” 4000 seat arena”).

Anyways, my condolensces on losing your team. It sucks.

SLC isn’t too far of a drive compared to Winnipeg - Arizona drive. You should still be able to see some games.
If they go to SLC they will be 3 hours for me versus 12.5 hours. It will be personally advantageous. However, I am not an <insert naughty word here that HF will censor> that wishes devoted fans in the existing market lose their team.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I just wanted to say that those are incredibly good looking hockey shirts

jsynordiquescalvaire.png
Solid choice for a Montreal Canadiens rebrand.

Reactions: Viqsi

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It's a goddamned joke is what it is.
Just move the f***ing team.

No other BIG 4 league would allow this to happen.

I cannot express how embarrassing it is to have a professional sports team (in the highest league of its sport) play in a. 4600 seat arena. OHL teams play in bigger arenas for Christs sakes. I've seen minor hockey teams play in bigger arenas.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
I cannot express how embarrassing it is to have a professional sports team (in the highest league of its sport) play in a. 4600 seat arena. OHL teams play in bigger arenas for Christs sakes. I've seen minor hockey teams play in bigger arenas.
Exactly.
I usually don't mind Bettman, but the whole Arizona ordeal makes the league look like a pity party.
Imagine a NFL team playing in a high school stadium.

Makes me embarrassed as a fan.

Reactions: HolyCrap

hockeynugget

Nov 25, 2023

Wait I was completely joking when I said I wouldn’t be surprised if the NHL buys the team again from the current ownership group. If that happens though, they’re as good as gone.

Now Bettman’s press conference at the ASG makes sense when he said they’re happy with the currently number of teams in the league and not looking to expand at the moment but are “listening” to other potential markets. 🤔

Reactions: Darren McCord

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Update is ownership seems to be flopping in everyway to get a new arena secured. Almost as if they're not trying hard. Which they might not be, *(idk)*.
What they’re trying to do is very difficult normally. In the current situation, it’s legitimately insanely difficult - because there is a public deadline, they failed once, and are in a tiny arena. To make it worse they’re a sports franchise operating in a different world than sports.

Who knows if the public land stuff works but securing land for the arena is not this black and white, cut and dry thing.
There is also this FWIW

Rick is a good reporter but out of his depth on this one. No senior ibanker is at a loss to understanding the logic here. It’s a massive market and franchises are capital intense. High barrier to entry. Much cheaper to keep it in place. To add, Bettman works for the owners. To suggest it’s his hubris is wild.

Reactions: The Electrician

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
There is also this FWIW

Not a financial expert but...

If, the Coyotes have lost $141m in the last 10 and if Meruelo bought the Coyotes for $300m 5 years ago (which he did) and if the value of the asset is now $400m (which Westhead says in his graphic) then this billionaire has lost less than $41m in the process of turning an unprofitable business around.

hockeynugget

Nov 25, 2023
Not a financial expert but...

If, the Coyotes have lost $141m in the last 10 and if Meruelo bought the Coyotes for $300m 5 years ago (which he did) and if the value of the asset is now $400m (which Westhead says in his graphic) then this billionaire has lost less than $41m in the process of turning an unprofitable business around.
This is also an old tweet from 2 years ago, so how much have they lost in the past 2 years to go along with the $41 million previous lost?

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I don't cheer for or against Arizona, and I will very likely say the same if they were to relocate. I'm also not invested financially in any of this.

Most people in here can say the same, but pretend like it matters where the team is anyways.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I will stand by the opinion that if relocation happens, Salt Lake City won't be any better than Phoenix. If the franchise has to relocate, they really need to get into Houston, or Kansas City.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Playing in a college arena, not the biggest one at that, was bad enough. I feel for Coyotes fans, but the owners need to get an arena.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad